SOPA

J

JacobJones

Enlightened
Am I right in thinking that if this SOPA nonsense went through only websites hosted in the USA would affected?

mvyrmnd

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone please tell me how it it legal or constitutional to allow the government to suppress freedom of speech and freedom of the press on a mere anonymous accusation without the right to face your accuser or the right to due process? How can they legally fine or jail people for this without due process? In order for something to be a crime, they usually have to prove two things, that there was a motive to do it, and there was intent (you chose to break the law knowing it was illegal). As I understand, these laws require neither. I'm not trying to get political, and I understand that this is a hot button issue, but the way I see it, if these pass, what rights do we really have left?

None. This legislation would be used as precedent to eventually erode all of your other civil rights.

George Orwell is singing "I told you so"

mvyrmnd

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
was so pissed at the pending SOPA legislation ... called every congressman in my home district. let be known loud and clear if they were not against SOPA. I would not forget and vote them out next go.

this is the first time I've ever called any of my representatives. what bothers me the most is the total lack of due process. if this passes, all a content owner has to do ... make an accusation with or without basis. the government would then have the power to shut anyone down.

this puts the burden of proof on the host... not the accuser. who only has to accuse with NO due process. being against these two bills has Nothing to do if one is in favor of piracy or not.

Good work. Now you need your friends and family to do the same.

ElectronGuru

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
a perfect example is the ABUSE of digital millennium act by RIAA. the lawmaker that drafted that one NEVER in their wildest dream could predict RIAA would end up filing 30,000+ lawsuits of which the average settled for $3,000-$5,000.

Most laws any more are written by lobby groups, with lawmakers just presenting them.

'Unintended Consequences" assumes someone, somewhere didn't mean for it to happen.

StarHalo

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Now you need your friends and family to do the same.

I'm surprised the Aussies haven't had some sort of uprising over their Internet laws; I could see myself living there if it weren't for the "oversight". I'd hate to think how much I'd owe in fines by now..

On a related note, megaupload is now dead.

(We've secretly replaced the U.S. Government's authority with Folger's Crystals..)

Last edited:
mvyrmnd

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised the Aussies haven't had some sort of uprising over their Internet laws; I could see myself living there if it weren't for the "oversight". I'd hate to think how much I'd owe in fines by now..

Last year there were protests in the streets of every major city over the proposed Mandatory Content Filtering system.

Enough noise was made that, while the legislation isn't dead, it's been stalled and bigger fish have needed frying recently. I doubt it will see the light of day again.

This is why I have faith that the American public can have SOPA killed. Now all they need to do is send a message to Big Media that this sort of nonsense will not be tolerated.

Do you think enough of a groundswell could be created that everyone turns off their TV for a week to destroy advertising incomes to show them that enough is enough?

Last edited:
B

budynabuick

Enlightened
Do you think enough of a groundswell could be created that everyone turns off their TV for a week to destroy advertising incomes to show them that enough is enough?

:thumbsup: I'm with you but good luck on that one.

LEDAdd1ct

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately, no. :(

mvyrmnd

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if that won't work, how about having a law passed that politicians can't accept money or gifts from corporations in order to have laws passed that favour said corporations.

Or would that be harder than getting an entire country to give up TV for a week?

LuxLuthor

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The massive online response has resulted in PIPA & SOPA being dropped--for now at least.

Now we need to find out what they are trying to do with a new version called "OPEN"

mvyrmnd

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There'll always be another attempt at this. Big Media companies will always be stuck in the 20th century. People will need to stay vigilant to make sure these things don't sneak past and into law.

Unfortunately the only way this will end is if one of two things change. Big Media companies stop caring about earning money, or the masses stop consuming the content (read:tripe) they produce.

Something tells me neither will happen any time soon.

Diablo_331

Diablo_331

Enlightened
mvyrmnd said:
There'll always be another attempt at this. Big Media companies will always be stuck in the 20th century. People will need to stay vigilant to make sure these things don't sneak past and into law.

Unfortunately the only way this will end is if one of two things change. Big Media companies stop caring about earning money, or the masses stop consuming the content (read:tripe) they produce.

Something tells me neither will happen any time soon.

This was never about copyrights. Think BIGGER. The information wars have only begun.

StefanFS

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a bit OT. SOPA has two meanings in the Swedish language. At a personal level it's an insult meaning you're a dirt bag. Generally it just means garbage (the kind you throw away). I find this slightly funny...

Last edited:
mvyrmnd

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not OT in the slightest. This whole thing was brought upon the world by dirtbags.