Specialty batteries

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
This is more a rant than anything else. There is nothing more frustrating than some companies who make lights that are not duel fuel and make proprietary custom batteries. Olight and fenix are good examples. Basically when they stop making the battery the light is worthless.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
That is essentially the main reason I refuse to buy most Olight products.
It's not that I don't like their products but I am at the point where if it doesn't take something common I am not interested

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yup. I've got a fexix LR40R. Comes with a 'pack' of (4) 18650 cells and outputs 12k lumens. Will also accept (1-4) 18650 loose cells... but caps output at around half that.

A replacement pack? Almost $100.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Yup. I've got a fexix LR40R. Comes with a 'pack' of (4) 18650 cells and outputs 12k lumens. Will also accept (1-4) 18650 loose cells... but caps output at around half that.

A replacement pack? Almost $100.
Spendy

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some of my gadgets are the shape and size they are due to proprietary batteries. My cellular phone is one such device. So if brand G decides to make a flashlight the size of a credit card but thick as my phone and building a big ole rectangle battery to fuel it longer than say, coin cells I'm ok with that.

My Nikon gear for example has a proprietary battery that works in other models and models yet to come and provides way more fuel than a pair of CR123's.

But if the proprietary battery is just so that brand H can boast 900 lumens from a double a sized battery……can't say I'm ok with that unless it can also run (albeit at a reduced output) on a "normal" battery.

3_gun

Enlightened
Proprietary batteries for the most part are a deal breaker, 99.8% of the time. This is especially true in anything that costs more than $10 or should have a service life of more than 18 months.

This is more a rant than anything else. There is nothing more frustrating than some companies who make lights that are not duel fuel and make proprietary custom batteries. Olight and fenix are good examples. Basically when they stop making the battery the light is worthless.

Agreed. If a light won't work with both standard rechargeable AND primary batteries I won't buy it. I bought a few and quickly learned my lesson.

flashflood

Enlightened
That is essentially the main reason I refuse to buy most Olight products.
That, and Olight quality seems to have cratered in recent years. They were drool-worthy when the SR-95 came out, and now have been surpassed by... just about everyone.

Last edited: