Spot/Flood combo to replace 12v boat spotlight?

DanK319

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

My trusty spotlight for my boat finally gave up the ghost. The cord was always a bit of a pain anyway, so I grabbed a reasonably bright 18650 CREE for the weekend.

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. It turns out that what makes a good light for walking my dog in the woods does not equal a good light for night boating.

I need to be able to see lobster pots, which are often 3/4 submerged, 100-300' before I hit them. I also need to be able to see where the banks are when I'm in a river that's ~75' wide. Bonus points if it can light up the reflector on a channel marker from a distance.

The 15 year old 12v plug-in I had was far better at this than I gave it credit for. I'm wondering if I should just buy another marine spotlight, or if the flashlight world has a better solution for me.

For reference, this is similar to what I had, except mine was halogen and not battery: https://www.westmarine.com/west-mar...e_demandware_net__WestMarine__products__en_US

I'm also considering this: https://www.westmarine.com/west-mar...e_demandware_net__WestMarine__products__en_US

Any suggestions? Thanks all!

letschat7

Suspended
What about Led Lenser X21R? It is available all over the world and the focused beam has quite a lot of reach.

DanK319

Newly Enlightened
What about Led Lenser X21R? It is available all over the world and the focused beam has quite a lot of reach.
That looks really nice! However, I don't think I want to drop almost $500USD (I'm in the US) on something with the potential to end up in the river and/or ruined by saltwater. I think I'd want to stay in the $100ish range, unless it is 100% waterproof and floats, in which case I'd be willing to bump the budget a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion! That's a cool light that I didn't know existed.

DanK319

Newly Enlightened
I like that Waypoint! How's the spill? That throw is plenty if the specs are anywhere near accurate - but will it catch a lobster pot that's a little outside of where you're pointing? I'll try to find some vids on youtube or some beam pictures. That could be just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

hsa

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has some spill but not bright enough to reflect off of the bow too bad. It throws forever. I have the Waypoint and the specs are accurate according to my meter.
I ran the Mississipi river a lot when I was young. I had a pretty good halogen spotlight then but it didn't throw like this. The beam is pretty narrow, listed on parametric as 4 degrees but I think it is just a bit wider.