Spotted- New Color Dorcy AA

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Was in the local Target today and something different caught my eye. Turned out to be a good old Dorcy 3 LED AA in black. It wasn't there last week. Looks classier than the normal Target silver. Somehow I was able to resist the purchase, but there's always tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Geoff

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The prices of the dorcy AA here are about the same as ordering an Xnova from a cpf member, so I haven't been enthused about buying one.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen a Dorcy AAA recently that was black? I've heard of them exsisting, but alas don't have one.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I bought a black 1AAA 1LED at Home Hardware in Kentville, Nova Scotia a few months ago. I have to admit, the black really looks pretty. The silver color seems to cheapen the appearance.

I have one 3LED 1AA and two 1LED 1AAA Dorcys. I much prefer the throw and spill of the smaller 1AAA light. It's comfortable to hold between your lips for short intervals when both hands are busy.

dlong

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if these 3-LED AA have a regulator circuit (or semi-regulator)?

Thanks,

-d

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a black AAA that I got when they first came out, but haven't seen one since. I bought dozens and dozens Xmas before last and shipped them to CPFers that didn't have access to them and gave them as gifts.

I haven't seen the black AA, but I did buy another silver AA in Target last week because it (they) had been marked down to $6.99. Maybe they're clearing them out to make room for black ones???

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dlong said:
Does anyone know if these 3-LED AA have a regulator circuit (or semi-regulator)?

Thanks,

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

yes they do a circuit

The_virus

Enlightened
nemul: Are you sure about them being regulated? I don't think they are. These lights have a step-up circuit so that the single battery can provide enough power for the LED, but I'm not so sure something fancy like a regulator could be in a light this cheap.

dlong: The smallest and cheapest regulated LED light I've personally ever seen is the Gerber Infinity Ultra which is ~$32 CDN. Next would be the Inova X1 for ~$39.99 CDN.

PS: I'd like to post a big THANK YOU to PhotonBoy! Believe it or not I've had a hard time finding Dorcy LED 1AAA lights in my area. Many hardware stores carry Dorcy, but not the small LED ones like the 1AA and 1AAA. I don't even think the neareset Wal-Mart had them, and there are no Target stores in Canada as far as I know. By mentioning Home Hardware (a chain of hardware stores I had forgotten to check) you have effectively ended my search! I just got off the phone with them and they have them in stock. I'll check for black, but I've never seen these lights for sale anywhere yet, so I'm happy to find them at all! Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dlong

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_virus said:
nemul: Are you sure about them being regulated? I don't think they are. These lights have a step-up circuit so that the single battery can provide enough power for the LED, but I'm not so sure something fancy like a regulator could be in a light this cheap.

dlong: The smallest and cheapest regulated LED light I've personally ever seen is the Gerber Infinity Ultra which is ~$32 CDN. Next would be the Inova X1 for ~$39.99 CDN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Any lights with regulartors with throw similar 3D MAGs? I also received this from Crux:

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it has a 5v step-up regulator, however the LEDs keep the output from getting that high. Because of this the regulator just runs "full out" all the time. It is not a very powerful regulator when running from a 1.5V cell and the output current through the LEDs drops as the cell voltage drops. Try using a Lithium AA cell, these have a little higher voltage and flatter discharge than the alkaline type, and work much better in this application.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't find runtime graph of the Dorcy. However, since white LEDs are 3.6V, I would guess the LED are hooked in parallel (hopefully, each with their own resistor) rather in series. And since the set-up to 5V but limited to 3.6V, I would think that they would run fairly constant until towards the end where it will drop a fairly quick. So, I would guess the runtime curve would be akin to the graph in this review (but with different actual runtime...):

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/costco_luxeon2aa.htm

What do you guys thinks (did it at least sound good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)?

-d

Edit: clarification on graph.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
About a week ago I was looking for Dorcy AAs for some of the guys at work. The first three Target stores were sold out. The fourth store had five silver and one <font color="red"> red </font> AA. I bought two or three silver and the <font color="red"> red </font> AA.