SPY 007 airport security questions

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused as to why there might be a problem taking a flashlight through airport security. :shrug:
The million dollar question? Can only be answered in the Underground though. No politics here. :laughing:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've flew several times last year. My Lunasol 27 and Ti-PD-S were always with me and no questions were ever asked.

:twothumbs

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
TSA are a bunch of theives. I worked in an airport in college for a bit and could not believe the things the baggage handlers and TSA employees steal.

Don't risk it.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
After all the levity and fun, i would probably just put it in my luggage (hard shell ONLY) and check it in, would EDC something that would not hurt as MUCH as losing a SPY, maybe some fauxtons and an E01, the rest would be safely checked in in sealed luggage.

Saw a youtube video on how easy it was to open soft cased luggage.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I just got back sunday from a trip to my Dad's house in North Carolina for a 6 day trip on the quads in the mountains and brought the following: L4, E1e, E1B, E2D, and Kroma.

All were in my Diplomat BOB Jr. and I went through security no problems. They did make me open the bag up and show them the lights, but other than that the could'nt have cared less. The TSA guy said the the screener watching the monitor "It's ok they're just flashlights".

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
I'm confused as to why there might be a problem taking a flashlight through airport security. :shrug:
The last time I flew, they made me throw away the chapstick and bottle of water in my carry on bag. If they are paranoid enough to do that, they are paranoid enough to do anything. My advice would be to take some cheaper lights instead.

Teh

Newly Enlightened
I just did some flying with my G2Z in a V70 holster on my belt, took the light out and on the tray instead of tossing it in the bag this time at the checkpoint... drum rolll...:whistle:

Nobody said nothing, and I picked up my stuff and reholstered the light from the tray.

I think It was quite a gamble, but you can give that a try with your light.

It was a round trip between Taipei and Singapore, but I wonder what would have happened if I tried that in the states.

brucec

Enlightened
I think the potential issue is that the Spy does not look like a "normal" cylindrical flashlight under X-ray. Everyone travels with flashlights of all sorts and quantities, but all of the ones I see mentioned here all have the traditional cylindrical shape. However, in the worst case, I think the most you would have to do is to turn it on to prove that it is indeed a flashlight instead of some kind of evil butane torch. I can't tell you how many of THOSE I have lost...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Take a padded mailing envelope and the proper postage. Worse case scenario you mail it back to yourself.

Since 9/11, many airports have removed nearby mailboxes. (Literally ripped them right out of the ground). Due to the ease with which a letter-bomb could be placed into one. Too much of a security risk.

Last edited:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a padded mailing envelope and the proper postage. Worse case scenario you mail it back to yourself.

+1

Carry anything legal that you want to carry. And NEVER go through TSA security without bringing packaging materials and postage to ship something back to yourself. Even if you don't think you are bringing something that might be a potential issue or if you don't carry a $1000 light.

This is a no brainer. Cheap insurance!!!