Spy Questions

njet212

Enlightened
Just got my 007 3 days ago, feel very exicited about it! I've read on the other thread that SPY 007 run #05 has been upgraded slightly than previous runs.

It's said SPY 007 run 5 could be push up to 1.4 A and it has 4 slot. What's the 4 memory slot ?

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a PDF of the instructions somewhere? I thought there was before but I can't seem to find it now.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, as the light has 6 power levels, you can independantly set each of these levels to your desired output.
THEN, you have 4 "slots". Each slot allows you to set 6 the levels.
SO effectively you can set 24 predefined levels.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave
I see you mentioned the XPG version steps down if it's running ht at 1450.
What about the older Seoul ones? I have one with an XPG upgrade and wondering f I should be more careful if I have it at max or will this step down too?
Thanks

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, that is the exception. The old Seoul P4 lights with the STFu had a max of 1250mA and they do not cut back ever. So if you program them to anything above 1000mA please watch the heat. Keep in mind there has never been a heat related failure in the STFu that I know of. So there is enough of a buffer there.

Best not to worry about it at all. :) Just have fun and use it.

Cheers
Dave

Is there anywhere a instruction manual for the Spy ßß7 to download as PDF which i can print out?

Thanks for help!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't a question, but more a suggestive comment. ( no not that type of suggestive comment).

This is re TRIT Installation on SPY007s

What I have done on a couple of mine, is used plain white craft glue to install the trits, rather than the Norland.
My reasoning is ...
The trit slots are nicely protected on the SPY's, and these lights probably won't be abused as some others, so no need to such a permanent adhesive.
The craft glue is water soluble, so if you need or want to remove a trit, just put a bit of water over the installed trit, let it sit overnight, and you can easily remove the trit with a sewing needle, and clean out the slot with a wooden toothpick, & change colours as you feel fit.
I've also done this for trits in the knob space. I can play with their placement, colour combinations etc. When they are just right, I added more glue & it dries very clear. Not perfectly clear, but good enough for me. Same thing, add water, let it sit, and just remove them.

Just my tip.
Now to order more trits so I can change them up again.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think its also been suggested, maybe by Data himself but I cant remember, just to drop the trits in and seal them with a modicum of clear nail varnish that can be applied with a toothpick.

They can then be removed later with nail varnish remover.

The principle is similar, but maybe the clear nail varnish is optically clearer than the craft glue?

This isn't a question, but more a suggestive comment. ( no not that type of suggestive comment).

This is re TRIT Installation on SPY007s

What I have done on a couple of mine, is used plain white craft glue to install the trits, rather than the Norland.
My reasoning is ...
The trit slots are nicely protected on the SPY's, and these lights probably won't be abused as some others, so no need to such a permanent adhesive.
The craft glue is water soluble, so if you need or want to remove a trit, just put a bit of water over the installed trit, let it sit overnight, and you can easily remove the trit with a sewing needle, and clean out the slot with a wooden toothpick, & change colours as you feel fit.
I've also done this for trits in the knob space. I can play with their placement, colour combinations etc. When they are just right, I added more glue & it dries very clear. Not perfectly clear, but good enough for me. Same thing, add water, let it sit, and just remove them.

Just my tip.
Now to order more trits so I can change them up again.

Rudi

Enlightened
Clear nail varnish applied with a tooth pick works well, but it is a multi-stage process. The nail varnish cures by evaporation of the solvent, which causes it to shrink. The process needs to be repeated a few times to fill the grooves, allowing several hours between applications. Don't worry about slight overspill, as this can be removed with the tip of a sharp exacto blade once cured.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't fill the groove with very much glue. Only a tiny amount to hold it in place. Not even visible from the top, so the clarity is perfect, as nothing applied to the visible surface.

On another fun thing to do.
If you have access to a Jewellers Loupe, turn on your SPY, aim at the ceiling or wall, and place the loupe in front of th lens. If you position it just right, it focuses the beam. In my case, it was like an Aspheric lens, It kept the emitters image in a very tight hot spot, and the outer ring had all the dimples from the reflector. I wonder if Saablaster could make some adaptors to fit a lens onto the SPY. A removable one, so you could turn it into a throw monster?
I didn't have time to take it outside and see how it worked in the field. And I didn't have enough hands to hold the Loupe & camera & snap a shot.

Rudi

Enlightened
I didn't fill the groove with very much glue. Only a tiny amount to hold it in place. Not even visible from the top, so the clarity is perfect, as nothing applied to the visible surface.[ /QUOTE]

You can cover the trit vial with clear nail polish. It doesn't dim it at all.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I am almost ready to step up to the plate and get another Spy 007 SW GG.

I want to go XPG, but what are the choices for brightness' on the cool and neutral. S2, R5, R4?

Also what are the tints in Kelvin?

Thanks!

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
6000K bright white
5000K neutral white
4000K warm white

They are all wonderful color emitters. I pick them based on the color first and then output. Output is important but in practice I never actually see variations in output but we all tend to see if it is a nice color. And as you all know the actual color temperature is never on the even 1000K line.

I know the bright is an R5 but I do not remember the others. I will check.

Do you know what emitter you want?

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts