Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SPY005 Field Test Thread part 1

Data said:
Lunal_Tic

You are still undecided about the logos aren't you. :awman:

When I set my SPY down I almost always put it on its tail.

Cheers
Dave

:eek: It's hard to choose . . .

I posted in the other thread too but I'll post here also. One of #1 and one of #2 please. (You already knew I wanted black right?)

-LT

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a pic of new fixed logo3. No photoshop.

HV1T7825.jpg

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Data said:
Thank you Flashlight.

Anybody want to guess how I got the square edges on the tips of the three letters and on the top of the "5"?

Round cutters don't cut square holes . . . or do they!

:whistle:

Dave

The answer is you bring the cutter out of the bottom of the valley and up to the corner you want to create. There are usually two corners desired to square it off so you go back down to the bottom of the valley again and then up to the other corner.

The tip of the crows beak is done by just coming up and out one time to make that point.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
SPY005 Field Test Thread part 2

The SPY005 round two field testers should be receiving lights tomorrow. I would ask that they please post their reviews in this thread.

Please see this SPY005 thread index for links to all the SPY posts.

I sent prototype lights to DaGunn, andrewwynn, and bwaites. They will have the lights for about a week and then they will be returned to me. These are the final field testers for the SPY005.

The purpose of this round of testing is different than before. Now, the focus needs to be directed at the converter board. We think it is solid and ready for prime time. But I want the testing to continue until the production lights ship. The goal is to run the lights through all the paces and ensure that there is nothing else we need to adjust or change.

The prototypes do have several new features. The new converter board is based on the Downboy and has been working flawlessly. It can now handle rechargeable batteries and it has reverse battery protection. The head and knob are of the new shape and function much better than before.

The lights sent to the field testers are prototypes. They have some known issues, all of which have already been addressed in the production lights. The known issues with the current prototype lights are:
1) The body is HA type III natural (not died). The shade of the end cap may not perfectly match the shade of the body. Hard anodizing is an art and may not be perfect even on the final shipped product (sound familiar).
2) The mechanism to keep the PCB in place is not in the prototypes. If you turn the knob without batteries in the light, it will push the PCB forward about 1/16" and the switch will disengage.
3) they do not incorporate the lanyard loop.
4) they do not have the newly redesigned battery cap with improved release pin spring strength, plating on the inside and recessed spring wire.
5) the knob and head are not chrome plated.

Finally, keep in mind that ALL the metal parts of the production lights are COMPLETED. There is no changing the style or feature set of the SPY005 light.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spy005 impressions.

I could not see Data's post about this location when I posted my thread. Thank you to whoever moved it!!

I received a new version of the Spy005 today.

As I understand it, it has a newer version of the board, a new knob shape and a few other small improvements. Data can fill in any details.

Initial impression:

Rock solid little light!

Ergonomically it is very easy to activate with either hand, and I am LOUSY with my left hand!!

The tactile feel of the switch is impressive!!

Very nice stepping of output levels, and in fact, the best to date in my experience.

The levels just seem to about perfect for what I would use them for, except the step from 1 to 2 which is wider than I would choose.

Previously, I had thought that 3 levels was sufficient, but these levels and these steps are very nice, I would love to see one with a U-binned LED just to get that ultimate brightness level, but it compares very favorably in output to my 917 DownBoy U-binned Aleph 1.

I have intentionally read as little as possible about the light so that others would not impinge upon my thinking, so I'm not sure how the brightness levels were decided, but it is well done.

I will run rechargeables in it tonite, but so far I am impressed.

The end cap design is ingenious, much quicker than a screw cap, and very easy to use.

I will post more if disassembly or further experimentation reveals the need.

However, at this point I would say:

An innovative design which improves tremedously on the side by side 123 work done by Surefire in it's weaponlights and not released for EDC use.

WELL DONE, WELL DONE, WELL DONE!!!

Bill

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Bill for the first impressions post.

I just want to let everybody know what instructions I gave the reviewers in email. I suggested that they make a short post of initial reactions. Then later if there is something else they wish to share, that they should feel free to post what they want.

This round of testing is kind of boring and I do not expect this thread to get very long. As everybody knows Bill and Andrew have their own light projects that are keeping them very busy. Andrew is under the weather and Dave is very busy at work. The just of this is I did not ask them for any lengthy reviews or pictures. If you want to ask them questions or have them run a simple test, go right ahead, but keep in mind they may or may not be able to get to it.

Cheers
Dave

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Spy005 impressions.

i think dave said the tester due my way should be here today.. i'm getting excited to try it out... interesting idea bout the Ubin... dave.. after testing for a while would it be ok to swap the emitter to Ubin or K2 to see how it fairs with the upgrade?

-awr

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had two field test threads (a part 1 and a part 2 ) but they were combined into just one. I do not know by who or why because like many others I do not receive email sent from CPF anymore.

Dave

B@rt

Flashaholic
Since there already was a "field testing" thread I merged both your and bwaites new field testing threads with it to keep the information concentrated. Three test threads for one light is a bit much... :thinking:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my test light today.. whoo hoo.

A couple 'first impressions'. pros and cons in no particular order...

I know that some of these things are covered already but w/o being particularly sure which i'll just be complete.

1) there are a couple rough machined edges that could use de-burring.. the machining is so precise there is almost a 'knife' edge around the main oval.. i would not want to knock it down much.. seriously one hand swipe with emery before ano.. the grip it affords is priceless and i'd rather have the grip than lose the 'sharp feeling.
1a) the 'too smooth' dial has a bit too much bite for 'evaluating' but is probably perfect fore real-world use.. i.e. just like when i'm hard-core testing a nano and my fingers are raw afterwards getting a bit of sore finger tips from the dial.. absolutely zero problem with 'enough grip' and probably essential for one-finger rotation
2) the dented oval is wonderful for grip.. anti-drop etc.. i love it as-is w/o the slots.. although if i look really close it looks like there is a 'shadow' of bygone slots.
3) the I.D. and fit and finish is unbeatable. It's a work of art and definitely a CPF collector dream light, combining practical function with world class and one-of-a-kind design.
4) some form of anti-moron device for battery indexing would be good.. i'm really leary about battery changes .. i believe the final production models will have an index printed (silk screen) on the PCB.. but with 123s having a recessed negative.. a mechanical interlock like a ring around the outer edge that would hold the negative away from a contact for pos.
5) some index to indicate the direction to put on the tailcap... probably already a moot point.. once there is a lanyard hole that can be used in conjunction with the release pin for an index.
6) driver electronics.. the steps seem logarithmic which is awesome (other than the 'idle' setting.. but occasionally i've been able to flip the dial to no-mans land between settings and with break before make it ends up off.. not much that can be done about that.. the detents are great and it's a rare occurrence.. however that brings me to..
7) the break before make 'blinkie'.. it would be nice if it was at least reduced.. depending on how the feedback ckt works a simple capacitor across the feedback bridge would hold the voltage during the transition so at least the output doesn't go to zero between the blinks.. i think i read that that was being investegated (like a make before break solution.. though that would make it blink bright most likely).. anyhow if possible to mute it a bit it's good.
8) my favorite way so far to control is thumb and finger.. but means i can only get to 'level 4' on the first twist.. which actually works pretty darn nice.. first flip gets me to medium.. and re-gripping will get me med-high and high.

ok more later.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Andrew for the first impressions post.

No, I will not permit a change the light. The light has previously been tested with U bin emitters. This test is for preproduction screening of problems only, and that requires that the light not be changed in any way.

All the metal parts of the production lights are completed. There is no changing the style or feature set of the SPY005 light. You are of course welcome to comment on the body shape. The edge on the side of the light is there to give a positive grip on the light when your hands may be very cold, sweaty or you have gloves on. It keeps the light in you hand.

I just found out that DaGunn got his light too but his computer is down so it may be some time before he posts.

Cheers
Dave

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew's light quit working. :poof: :scowl: We do not know why yet, he is sending it back so I can investigate. He was just doing normal tests with it and it has nowhere near the time on it that several of our other boards do. These converter boards are hand soldered and part of the soldering was by yours truly. :sigh: :shakehead

It is the first failure I have seen in any of the hand soldered prototype Downboy boards. Wayne tells me we will be getting production boards very soon. :party:

Andrew, I dare you to fry another one. :naughty: :nana: :poof:

Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.