Spyderco Wave feature?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Well, in the interest of scientific research, yeah......scientific research, that's the ticket...., i can confirm that the Endura 4 Wave works as a bottle opener, it's a little fussy and needs to be positioned precisely, it's not as quick and easy as a SAK bottle opener though....

I opened up a nice cold bottle of Sam Adams Summer Ale, and as luck would have it, i have one bottle left so i can test the efficicay of the Delica 4 Wave, see which one is more effective....

Hmm.....both are about the same, the Endura's longer blade/handle do allow greater leverage, but the Delica's thinner bladestock hooks into the edge of the bottle cap better

So, final ratings;
SAK bottle opener; 10
D4W; 7
E4W; 7.5

it's an amusing gimmick, nothing more, i wouldn't do it very often

as a quick-opening knife, the D4/E4 can't be beat, as a bottle opener?.....Meh, i've used better.... ;)

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
MacTech said:
Well, in the interest of scientific research, yeah......scientific research, that's the ticket...., i can confirm that the Endura 4 Wave works as a bottle opener, it's a little fussy and needs to be positioned precisely, it's not as quick and easy as a SAK bottle opener though....

I opened up a nice cold bottle of Sam Adams Summer Ale, and as luck would have it, i have one bottle left so i can test the efficicay of the Delica 4 Wave, see which one is more effective....

Hmm.....both are about the same, the Endura's longer blade/handle do allow greater leverage, but the Delica's thinner bladestock hooks into the edge of the bottle cap better

So, final ratings;
SAK bottle opener; 10
D4W; 7
E4W; 7.5

it's an amusing gimmick, nothing more, i wouldn't do it very often

as a quick-opening knife, the D4/E4 can't be beat, as a bottle opener?.....Meh, i've used better.... ;)
LOL, that's called bored.
Handy though!

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
For those of you who haven't tried this, you don't need a waved knife to get the same effect. If the knife has a thumb hole, attach a zip tie to it, cut the extra length off, and you are good to go. I did this to my Mini-Griptilian, and it works great!

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
lumiphile said:
For those of you who haven't tried this, you don't need a waved knife to get the same effect. If the knife has a thumb hole, attach a zip tie to it, cut the extra length off, and you are good to go. I did this to my Mini-Griptilian, and it works great!
Rather spend the few bucks extra though and not have the ziplock there I think though.

cutlerylover

Banned
It doesnt look the best but the ziptie works, I ahve seen this many times, on forums, and tried it myself, works fine, but I cant get over the look of it...So I took it off...I tried it on a bm pika...

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Trying to figure out if I can order this and expect it to get to me (shipped from States, I'm in Canada.)

cutlerylover

Banned
I dont really like lockbacks myself, but with my waved delica I dont mind i at all...I would much rather have a framelock or somethgin but the lock back is just fine, and comfortable to use too with its shape...its strong as well, but not stiff or hard to use...

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
If you're carrying a knife like that for self-defense, putting a zip-tie on it and relying on it to work, is a bit like duct-taping a kevlar vest to your car and expecting it to make the car bulletproof.
It's just not reliable. Buy a knife with a wave already on it, or if you can, wave the knife yourself with a dremel or something similar. Don't bother with the zip-tie.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
Haha, I work in corporate America. If I were in a situation where I needed a knife for self-defense, the reliability of its opening would be the last of my worries. I would probably hurt myself more than I would hurt the attacker.

The zip tie is for purely for ease of use. The knife is an object cutting tool, not a person cutting tool. I often find myself in situations where I have something to cut in one hand, and need an open blade quickly in the other. If the blade does not open reliably, I will not die, it will just be a little more work.

I AM thinking about taking a dremel to the knife to make it look better than the zip tie. Also, it would be nice to round off the edges so my pants pockets do not disintegrate. I would definitely recommend trying a zip tie before modifying a knife though, in case the idea is not something you decide to stick with.

ErickThakrar said:
If you're carrying a knife like that for self-defense, putting a zip-tie on it and relying on it to work, is a bit like duct-taping a kevlar vest to your car and expecting it to make the car bulletproof.
It's just not reliable. Buy a knife with a wave already on it, or if you can, wave the knife yourself with a dremel or something similar. Don't bother with the zip-tie.