SST-90 Current Draw ?

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Do the Nailbender modules include dc-dc converter (buck) drivers? If not, in which case they're only PWM dimming, then I don't think it's a good idea to hit the SST-90 with a 6V pack, regardless of how much it sags. Also, what's the maximum, safe sustained current draw for a CR123A primary? It can't possibly be nearly as high as the Amps discussed here, can it?

flashfiend

Enlightened
Sag is a wonderful thing. I haven't tried it with my sst-90 nb DD drop-in but I have used 2 primaries in a sst-50 nb DD drop-in with no issues. I'm certain they sag enough for the emitter to run safely. The real issue will be whether you should use those batteries at that high of a current.

Btw, I also have an sst-90 DD Mag that uses 4xAA eneloops (5.6V pack) with no issues. It is extremely bright. Conversely with another sst-90 Mag that uses parallel 18650 Li-Ions (4.2V), the lack of sag makes using it at its highest level (D2Flex controlled) not possible except for very short bursts (LED begins to blue).

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
I'm on my second week of the same two CR123 in a 6P with an SST-50 drop-in from Nailbender.

The little amount of time I actually need that amount of bright light is usually under 30 seconds, at most 60. But it gets used many times during the night at work. I've also had fun playing with the SST-50 on the same set of CR123...

If the SST-90 fries the McClicky, I'm sure something else could be used as a host to put it in. I'll buy another McClicky and an SST-50 drop-in for the 6P then call it a day.

ETA:

SST-90 drop-in showed up and my McClicky hasn't blown up yet. Left it on for 1 full minute to check and no poof. I'll check it more at work tonight.

2nd ETA:

8 hours of work, about 30 minutes total runtime with the SST-90 in a 6P using 2x CR123 with no issues.
Both batteries still measure 3V each.

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
I'm on my second week of the same two CR123 in a 6P with an SST-50 drop-in from Nailbender.

The little amount of time I actually need that amount of bright light is usually under 30 seconds, at most 60. But it gets used many times during the night at work. I've also had fun playing with the SST-50 on the same set of CR123...

If the SST-90 fries the McClicky, I'm sure something else could be used as a host to put it in. I'll buy another McClicky and an SST-50 drop-in for the 6P then call it a day.

ETA:

SST-90 drop-in showed up and my McClicky hasn't blown up yet. Left it on for 1 full minute to check and no poof. I'll check it more at work tonight.

2nd ETA:

8 hours of work, about 30 minutes total runtime with the SST-90 in a 6P using 2x CR123 with no issues.
Both batteries still measure 3V each.
It's doubtful you could get more than 4A draw without a wire spring mod on the module.

I've melted 3 McClickies so far using an IMR 18650 and my SST-90 Direct Drive module. I'm waiting for a shipment of Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive to try and create a thermal path from the spring to the brass retaining ring without creating an electrical path. Hopefully that will draw the heat away from the spring and prevent damage to the switch.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to try and figure out how to mod a Judco Switch to fit in my tailcap, or wait for VanIsleDSM to finish his FETtie switch.