Stand by for LED cop light "goodness"

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite achieved the reputation of being a cop light but they never really were. In the beginning perhaps, but in the big scheme of things Streamlight has long dominated. Between the SL20 and Stinger ole Tony Maglica has been running a distant second.

I'd say Mag definitely was in the old days. The Mag-Lite comes along in 1979 and five years later the entire police flashlight market is dead except for Mag and Streamlight. Mag's engineering was next-level for the time, especially with the Magcharger. As far as full-size duty lights they were in competition with each other until the LED thing happened. But as you say, Streamlight kept innovating for police with new stuff like the Stinger while Mag pivoted towards the consumer market and stagnated.

As an aside, I can't say enough positive about the Magcharger's design. I think it's severely underrated historically.

I don't think they'll ever be totally phased out and I really think Streamlight is missing the mark by not putting a 1,000 or 1,500 lumen LED into that platform. They would sell just as many, or enough to be worth it, as they did in the 90's if they did!!

It's not a D-cell platform (which I don't think you'll see again due to modern battery sizes,) but the Ultrastinger LED is 1100 lumens in a foot-long metal stick. I like mine even if there are some details I'd change. Should mention I'm not a LEO so it's an amateur's opinion.

My coworker was a cop back in the 80s, he carried one of the old Streamlight SL20s that was the polymer body. On a traffic stop he was doing SFSTs (DUI field test) and the guy took a swing. He smacked him upside of the head and the flashlight disintegrated into many little plastic pieces. I always preferred the mag-charger because the county I volunteered in issued them. Eventually I upgraded to a single LED Terralux drop in that put out 400 lumens and had a focused beam that would become a flood at distance. Dropped it many times and it never failed me. I hope they hold up well in police service.

Streamlight's original polymer light was the SL-15. Could that have been it? Those things were pretty brittle.

I appreciate your contribution, and your thoughts / observations.

Although it's a very 'different' type of 'Stinger' animal, if you have an opportunity to check one out, I'd also be interested in your thoughts regarding the latest / future direction of the 'Stinger' product name / line, the Stinger 2020. I've had one for a couple of years now, and I'm quite impressed with the design / engineering. I must say it's hard to evaluate on paper though, as I didn't begin to fully realize its better qualities until I'd handled one for a while.

I was waiting to see this in this thread. I love mine. Flip selector for three levels and 2000 lumens if you need it. Dual switches. Good battery life. The body shape is pretty strange, but it both feels OK in the hand and fits legacy Stinger chargers. It's my favorite "big" flashlight these days. Also one of the few Streamlights still made in the US.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I'd say Mag definitely was in the old days. The Mag-Lite comes along in 1979 and five years later the entire police flashlight market is dead except for Mag and Streamlight. Mag's engineering was next-level for the time, especially with the Magcharger. As far as full-size duty lights they were in competition with each other until the LED thing happened. But as you say, Streamlight kept innovating for police with new stuff like the Stinger while Mag pivoted towards the consumer market and stagnated.

As an aside, I can't say enough positive about the Magcharger's design. I think it's severely underrated historically.

It's not a D-cell platform (which I don't think you'll see again due to modern battery sizes,) but the Ultrastinger LED is 1100 lumens in a foot-long metal stick. I like mine even if there are some details I'd change. Should mention I'm not a LEO so it's an amateur's opinion.

Streamlight's original polymer light was the SL-15. Could that have been it? Those things were pretty brittle.

I was waiting to see this in this thread. I love mine. Flip selector for three levels and 2000 lumens if you need it. Dual switches. Good battery life. The body shape is pretty strange, but it both feels OK in the hand and fits legacy Stinger chargers. It's my favorite "big" flashlight these days. Also one of the few Streamlights still made in the US.
I have no idea what model it was, it was a plastic light that looked like an SL20 with a foam grip. Forgive me I don't know all the models streamlight has pumped out over the years.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
@rwolfenstein, ever since you mentioned your shoulder (epaulettes) mounted RRT01 -- I can't get that picture out of my mind!
It works great for a couple of things. I can use the low mode to write down ID information in my notepad and other hands free needs. I also can use the red/blue flashing mode with my traffic vest to direct traffic. It works great :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
People can't access social media where I work but cpf IS ok. When I pointed out that issue of the flag word in the title thread at diysolarforum, and made the same joke as did here, they deleted my post. CPF is great for break time at work to divert stress.

Still have not found my retired B-Lite (?) C-cell with the worn out switch (security work) but remember the long D-cell Maglites my company provided: the rubber switch boots were long lost but the hard plastic piece under the boot still functioned for off and on. I put a couple years work-use on a Streamlight C-cell that still functions. Much longer-lasting push button switch than the slide switch on the B-Lite.

michiganstud

Enlightened
I appreciate your contribution, and your thoughts / observations.

Although it's a very 'different' type of 'Stinger' animal, if you have an opportunity to check one out, I'd also be interested in your thoughts regarding the latest / future direction of the 'Stinger' product name / line, the Stinger 2020. I've had one for a couple of years now, and I'm quite impressed with the design / engineering. I must say it's hard to evaluate on paper though, as I didn't begin to fully realize its better qualities until I'd handled one for a while.
I have some opinions, but keep in mind I haven't carried or used one. But I know some guys that do have them so I know a thing or two from their experience.

First off, the shape is clunky and because of that finding a holder for your belt is next to impossible. There is a kydex maker of them, but it's plastic and looks cheap and won't match the leather on your belt. Leather makers still haven't came up with anything and it's been out a couple years now.

Having said that, the shape MAY be an OK thing because I've heard they tuck under an arm well but still the square square edges are sharp and it makes it uncomfortable. The little notch they cut out for your grip is useless.

The brightness is good and so far the only plus I'm hearing is the mode selection switch. Generally, you want your light to come on in the brightest setting. Toggling through modes by a click switch is a pain and could be risky to the job, so a lit of cops just choose a single mode LED, as I do.

This one you can toggle from low to high and have the light come on at whatever brightness you choose. If I'm being sneaky and I just want the low setting I can toggle to low and then press the switch. Right now it's using my Stinger set on high and sort of covering it over with my hand to enclose the light.

The second is using 18650 batteries. You can carry these more readily than the bigger single battery, so swapping new batteries is easier.

These are really the only pro's I'm hearing about the light. That and the fact they didn't change the charger cradle.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enviable collections shown here. Couldn't help but notice that, besides the Streamlight ProTac, none of the lights shown in this thread have crenellations. Maybe these Surefire and Malkoff models, the other Streamlight models, and the Maglite model, never had crenellations. But crenellations were invented, for some inscrutable reason, especially for LEO and military, and with so many lights shown it's hard to fathom why there aren't more with crens unless they were intentionally avoided.

What's the dillio, michiganstud and Dave D? Coincidence, due to these particular models, or personal and/or professional preference?

We got issued striking tools and received the appropriate training in the use of them, crenelations on a flashlight could take someones face off, great if you live in 'The Walking Dead', but not really practical in the real world.

Reactions: DRW

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
crenelations on a flashlight could take someones face off, great if you live in 'The Walking Dead', but not really practical in the real world.
LOL I always assumed any plus 300 lumen incan would cause a post-apocolytic zombie's head to explode, and faster and more violently from father away with more incan lumens, something like 200 yards with 1200Lm, but they'd catch on fire from up to 2 miles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So why no LED Lenser lights? Austrian police use them.
Good question.

I like the direction this one is going as a fan of cop lights. Some of us here talk of old school cop lights, sometimes in great detail from a historical perspective.
Michigan started out this one showing the lights that bridged the gap between the old school and new school and others added to that. It's not like on a Tuesday the cop light was a 7D Maglite and Wednesday the Streamlight Stinger HPL DS. So to hear from the actual players who carried old school numbers upgraded with the 'tech of the time' is some more blanks of history being filled in by those who were there.

Now to the LED Lenser question: as a fan of cop lights in America, the LED Lenser name never really comes up. I'm sure some police carried them but over here Coast sort of took over any role the LED Lenser once held. And Coast lights dim... some rather quickly. I see young police starting out that use 511, Fenix or other more budget friendly products as a backup to go with their department issued Streamlights.

There was a time when there were LED Lenser/Coast lights were sold here in America but they seemed to separate at one point and Coast lights were all over the place while LED Lenser seemed to fade away. Where I live a small chain store carries LED Lenser, Nebo and Streamlight. LED Lenser products collect dust on the hangers because they are way more pricey than Nebo and nowhere near as updated as the Streamlight products. They are perhaps Germany's version of Maglite, minus the built in Germany part.

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
Enviable collections shown here. Couldn't help but notice that, besides the Streamlight ProTac, none of the lights shown in this thread have crenellations. Maybe these Surefire and Malkoff models, the other Streamlight models, and the Maglite model, never had crenellations. But crenellations were invented, for some inscrutable reason, especially for LEO and military, and with so many lights shown it's hard to fathom why there aren't more with crens unless they were intentionally avoided.

What's the dillio, michiganstud and Dave D? Coincidence, due to these particular models, or personal and/or professional preference?
Situational. We were specifically trained to use our impact weapons for striking only. And....our policy defines impact weapons as a baton or 3 cell flaslight only.

I'm not going to use the crenellation because it can cause open wounds to the skin, specifically the face and hands. They bleed too heavily.

That all said, when the gloves are off and it's all out battle, policy goes out the window and it comes to how you justify the tool you used. For example, someone has two hands on my gun, and I have said flashlight in my hand? The other hand goes to protecting my gun and I'll tear the poop out of someone's face. That's a deadly force situation.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ exactly
The casual user doesn't understand that line of thinking sitting on the sofa eating popcorn and watching hollywood versions of a cops day.

@ABTOMAT Maglite finally introduced their answer to the Stinger in about 2019. 😱 the ML150LR. Maybe the ML125 was an attempt?
I like the shorty version of the ML150 and it's 850 lumen output but the 375 lumen Stinger LED and its press/hold with 2 quick clicks for strobe is still one of my all time favorite cop lights.

I see Statee's using those big head Stingers a lot.

Last edited:

DRW

Enlightened

Real life doesn't always mimic youtube or the interwebs. Pretty sure most of those lights don't strobe either.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
FL2 LE -- OEM Milled Saw Cut (Sharp Edges) PK Design Labs Crenellations -- Body knurling is so aggressive Mechanic gloves grab with a secure grip bite.
Imo, functional, work of art, I wouldn't have it any other way.
IMG_20220506_094524789_MP.jpg

This particular flashlight has been upgraded to Osram White W.1 tuned to FOP reflector and H17fx UI

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't have it any other way.
Mind if I ask, knucklegary, are you LEO or military or previously either, or even some day? Otherwise, do crens lend themself to your work or any work you've done? If no on all accounts, it is more than ok just to like things, if that is the case.