Stand by for LED cop light "goodness"

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since no one brought it up, strobe can be fun at parties as a disco light when there is music and dancing. Strobe can also be used effectively in theater. I think strobe may also be useful for long periods in torture settings, or maybe that's just in the movies. I would like a strobe flashlight that featured a fine adjustment strobe frequency. That would be pretty neat.

hsa

Enlightened
@chillinn. I have a 15-17 year old incan Strion. It is not a cr123 light. It uses a cradle charger for a Japan made li ion battery.
I use it for an inside light. One of my kids was a cop back then and gave it to me a couple years ago. It always works, I charge it about once a year. Campfire colored beam seems to add color to things that have no color. Throws well for the, maybe 60 lumen beam. Everything on it is well made with a Surefire type tail switch Smooth threads. You would like it. I don't use it much.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
@chillinn
IMG_4452.jpg
IMG_4451.jpg

The battery is roughly 21700 sized, some kind of propitiatory 18650 with both contacts on the + end. The "switch" is just a plunger that pushes the cell forward to make contact. Spare bulb in the tailcap. Adjustable focus. Very nice light. If I wanted a backup light back then, I would've chosen this over a 6P everyday. More comfortable too then the later 6Ps, tho not quite as good as the round bodies.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I have no affinity to Streamlight, though I own a dual fuel (more like penta fuel) ProTac 1L-1AA , and other than the emitter, it's ok, 2 modes and forward clicky, direct drive on high. I like these features. But it feels cheap.

I have never seen a Stinger up close irl, but I'd really love to own the old incan version. From what I can tell, it seems like a high quality, high durability, high intensity flashlight.

Maybe I am reading into things that aren't there, but you seemed to throw it out there like it was a cheap light, then go on to mention Coast and Nebo, which I didn't think were in the same class, as far as build quality is concerned. Coast and Nebo make some lights I like, but, again without personal experience with one, I thought that Stinger (and among Streamlight, only Stinger) was in a class head and shoulders above those brand models.

I'm not offended in the least, of course, just surprised because I'm convinced you know what you're talking about, but I just wanted to make sure I interpreted correctly what I did there, that you are not impressed with Stinger, and if it was years ago, that would be the incan model.

Can I have your incan Stinger? (half kidding, this is a joke, and jokes following, but of course I would take it.) I am very poor and only own about 20 incan lights at most, mostly Surefire, somehow. But I'll never be able to afford another authentic Surefire incan, that is the crux of my situation. Ok, maybe I can get a 6P if I hunker down. But that would be it, really.

edit: after some research, the model I was thinking of was probably not Stinger, possibly the 85Lm Strion. But I could have sworn Streamlight had an incan Stinger or a Strion model that ran on 2xCR123A. If they did, I can't seem figure out what it was.
All the stingers I have were issued to me over the years. Started with the Incan Stinger Classic (Which I still carry on my belt in a holster with a terralux upgraded head) and then the next step was when we went "tactical" and got Stinger XTs. That one sits in my laundry room with an HP head on it and a Lumens Factory LED drop in. The Stinger LED is what they recently issued me last October. I would agree that over the years they feel cheaper and I have had ones that I have messed with in the past the switches had failed. They are cheap lights that departments love to buy because you can mount the chargers on the wall and if you lose one they are around 65 dollars to replace. I know a couple people who had strions and loved them. Usually they would be burning a hole in their pocket so to speak. Problem is that was an actual problem! Many melted belt pouches. I am somewhat petty and anti streamlight regardless of how many of them I own, only because their customer service was crappy. I dont know how they are now, your experience may differ than mine.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
One year at my work while checking on signs and such for a night lane closure on a main highway I came across a wreck where a young police officer was guiding traffic past. Being new to the LED flashlight world I offered him my flashlight with a traffic wand. I set it for strobe thinking attention getter. He said "please turn off that strobe" so I did. He started waving cars past with it and says "some say strobe causes some people to have an epilectic seizure and knowing my luck lately they'll be driving out here, see the strobe and go into a siezure and run over both our dum@$$es". I said "you saw that episode of the Simpsons too?" We both had a good laugh, but I've always kept that in mind.
On our lightbars we have lots of white LEDs, they are useful for scene lighting or the alley light feature. They do flash and are very bright. I personally hate being blind, so I hit the low button on the control panel so I wouldnt get blinded getting out of the car. It is true about the risk of strobes, its why our local ambulance company quit using white strobes. I know on traffic control, the strobe feature doesnt help and people dont know how to drive so it just confuses them. When I have pointed a strobe at someones face and yell commands, I didnt get compliance, it pissed them off. Now strobes are just more bothersome than anything else. If I get a multimode light, I set it so it doesnt strobe. Thats just me though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What I liked about the Stinger and Strion LED with the press/hold output adjustment was if you want strobe you have to do it on purpose.

I have a non programable Pelican 2350 that has strobe in the cycle. I prefer the beam of the 100 lumen version but you're stuck with the factory interface. The 175 lumen one can be programmed but the beam is all floody-like which kills my peripheral night vision.

The 100 lumen one lights what you aim it and with enough gentle spill to avoid tripping on a step or tree root. The 175 lights up everything. Great for lighting up my dark shed and such but if I'm looking for a neighbors cat out in the woods I can't see in the distance near as well with that one. It's why I liked (and still do) the 110 lumen Streamlight TL2.

You see a lot of Strions hanging on a wall charger at auto repair shops. If you see a Mac Tools box in the place chances are the Mac Tools guy sold them a Strion too.

g8trwood

Newly Enlightened
I always had good luck with SL customer service. Even a plastic stinger/dog chew toy. Recently received a battery tray for a tlr, no questions asked.

sgt253

Enlightened
I have had success with Streamlight Customer Service. I just received a Streamlight 4AA Luxeon version back from Streamlight. One of the battery springs came loose from the switch. I sent it in and it was fixed and returned. No charge. Other lights that I have had an issue with (usually something minor) over the last 20 years were repaired and sent back no charge as well. I'd classify there service as exemplary.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had nothing but good experiences with Streamlight CS. Send in a broken light, get a fixed/new one back. Call and ask for parts, get free parts in the mail. Same thing with Surefire, although in SF's case twice they damaged the lights they sent back.

If anyone in this thread has an original incan Stinger, can you answer a question for me? Is the bezel O-ring fat enough to keep it from rotating easily? Or is it really thin and the bezel is loose? I think mine has the wrong O-ring.

Latter '80s
STREAMLIGHT INC.
MORRISTOWN, PA.
BARSTOW, CA.

8 second video:

That's from about 1984, give or take. The bezel knurling indicates it's from earlier in the production run. Edit: By serial ~32K they'd moved the knurling to the head. I collect those. Don't break it--parts are NLA.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My only interaction with Streamlight was when I bought an incan Keymate that had so much alka-crud in it a triple a would not fit so I asked was it an 'N' cell light. It's a aaa light btw.
The response was friendly enough but they said (paraphrasing) "uh, we've never made an incan Keymate". Speaking of hard to find parts for. Parts for that one are rare as an honest politician in Parliment.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
And some people have had good luck. Your mileage may vary. So far two companies I have dealt with have had fantastic customer service, that was pelican and surefire.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a dual fuel (more like penta fuel) ProTac 1L-1AA , and other than the emitter, it's ok, 2 modes and forward clicky, direct drive on high. I like these features. But it feels cheap.
I've read a LOT of comments about people's 1L-1AAs, but never read that comment before. Do you use a lot of non-aluminum 'boat anchor' lights? :)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery is roughly 21700 sized, some kind of propitiatory 18650 with both contacts on the + end. The "switch" is just a plunger that pushes the cell forward to make contact. Spare bulb in the tailcap. Adjustable focus. Very nice light.

I appreciate the information. The cell sounds alien to me with both contacts on one end, but the action of the switch sounds ingenious. That's a handsome light. I absolutely adore the crenellations.

All the stingers I have were issued to me over the years.

No worries. Looks like hsa might hook me up.
I completely misunderstood hsa. >< But he'll still help me find a light.

What I liked about the Stinger and Strion LED with the press/hold output adjustment was if you want strobe you have to do it on purpose.

The interface does sound attractive.

The 100 lumen one lights what you aim it and with enough gentle spill to avoid tripping on a step or tree root. The 175 lights up everything. Great for lighting up my dark shed and such but if I'm looking for a neighbors cat out in the woods I can't see in the distance near as well with that one. It's why I liked (and still do) the 110 lumen Streamlight TL2.

Sounds like the right fit. I like dim lights, but also dig incan lights between 80Lm and 150Lm. 80Lm is the right amount for a small space, like in the parked car, lights up everything within arms reach, and 150Lm of incan is all I need to see my yard.

You see a lot of Strions hanging on a wall charger at auto repair shops. If you see a Mac Tools box in the place chances are the Mac Tools guy sold them a Strion too.

Sounds like they are very well received models.

Latter '80s
STREAMLIGHT INC.
MORRISTOWN, PA.
BARSTOW, CA.

8 second video:

There's also a turbo head?! This just keeps getting better.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Streamlight CS.

This is a pretty good sign.

My only interaction with Streamlight was...
The response was friendly enough....

I'll take that as more positive feedback.

I've read a LOT of comments about people's 1L-1AAs, but never read that comment before. Do you use a lot of non-aluminum 'boat anchor' lights?

I didn't mean that it was cheap, certainly isn't inexpensive for a 2 mode AA light, but I think because it doesn't seem to have any mass to it that it feels cheap. I run it with LiFePO4 14500, and they basically weigh nothing, only adding to my possibly false impression. It is certainly designed well and very thoughtfully. I love that it runs on AA alkaline 1.5V, AA Lithium primary 1.8V, AA Eneloop 1.2V, IFR14500 3.2V, IMR14500 3.7V, CR123A 3V, RCR123A 3.2V, IMR16340 3.7, thus it's way more than just penta fueled. I think the low mode has PWM, though, and the LED desperately needs swapped. I guess I somehow got used to Surefire, and Ti and Cu Lumintop, and that's not a fair comparison. I'm sure the Al Lumintops don't weigh anything either. Maybe my bias is due to mistakenly equating heft with quality, because I use heavier cells in other Al lights that just by adding weight, it attains quality. Silly of me.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am somewhat petty and anti streamlight regardless of how many of them I own, only because their customer service was crappy. I dont know how they are now, your experience may differ than mine.
Your experience with Streamlight products has apparently been remarkably different from mine, and the experiences of most others I've known / read about. I guess statistical anomalies do happen (perhaps either mine or yours). I gather you've primarily used Stingers though, and aside from the 2020 I just bought 2 years ago, I've never owned a Stinger myself, so that's one difference. Almost all my experience has been with Strions, ProTacs, Scorpions, PolyTac, and other models.

The part that surprises me most is your comment about their Support. I know many who love their products, and also some who do not like them, but their Support is not something I recall ever hearing anything negative about. Usually even those who dislike their products praise their Support. Perhaps I'll find out myself sometime. After decades of using their products, I've never needed to contact their Support, so I'm only going by what I've heard / read. OK, 20 years ago I did order a part from a distributor for a Scorpion that I heat-fried the PC / Lexan lens on (my fault), and they (the distributor) performed great. I've never had a product 'failure', so I haven't experienced their Support in that situation. Conversely, although I've never owned a Surefire product, I have read a good number of complaints regarding their Support - all from users posting on this forum though - not first hand experience.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also a turbo head?! This just keeps getting better.

That's not a Stinger, that's a C-cell Streamlight from the '80s. They all had that head. But a turbo head Stinger was made. The normal length one was the Stinger HP and the extra-long version was the Ultra Stinger.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silly of me.
I'm not gonna call you 'silly' though man, because equating heft and quality is a misperception 9x% of the people who use this forum sometimes suffer from. It's quite common. Now if someone said their 1L-1AA felt cheap because it was light, I'd just ask them how many of their heavier lights earn a 2-meter FL1 impact rating. That would probably be a short discussion:)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
@chillinn
View attachment 37701 View attachment 37702

The battery is roughly 21700 sized, some kind of propitiatory 18650 with both contacts on the + end. The "switch" is just a plunger that pushes the cell forward to make contact. Spare bulb in the tailcap. Adjustable focus. Very nice light. If I wanted a backup light back then, I would've chosen this over a 6P everyday. More comfortable too then the later 6Ps, tho not quite as good as the round bodies.

I'm quite sadly no longer in possession of my incan Strion, but it served me well through countless 12-hour night shifts - until an LED Strion moved the incan to backup role. Yours looks in fine nick - I think you should send it to me!!

One of the best things was in fact that lithium ion cell you mentioned, which provided me with lots of power and the ability to throw it on the charger during the few hours I had to sleep, and got me off the CR123A $$$ waste bandwagon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any other light that offered me that lithium ion superior power supply at the time, and unless I'm mistaken, the makers of the 6P you mention wouldn't 'discover' lithium ion until what....perhaps a decade later?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Your experience with Streamlight products has apparently been remarkably different from mine, and the experiences of most others I've known / read about. I guess statistical anomalies do happen (perhaps either mine or yours). I gather you've primarily used Stingers though, and aside from the 2020 I just bought 2 years ago, I've never owned a Stinger myself, so that's one difference. Almost all my experience has been with Strions, ProTacs, Scorpions, PolyTac, and other models.

The part that surprises me most is your comment about their Support. I know many who love their products, and also some who do not like them, but their Support is not something I recall ever hearing anything negative about. Usually even those who dislike their products praise their Support. Perhaps I'll find out myself sometime. After decades of using their products, I've never needed to contact their Support, so I'm only going by what I've heard / read. OK, 20 years ago I did order a part from a distributor for a Scorpion that I heat-fried the PC / Lexan lens on (my fault), and they (the distributor) performed great. I've never had a product 'failure', so I haven't experienced their Support in that situation. Conversely, although I've never owned a Surefire product, I have read a good number of complaints regarding their Support - all from users posting on this forum though - not first hand experience.
(Shrugs) Like I said, your mileage may vary. I am not beat up over it or petty. I don't advocate for my department to switch to another brand name, they have a budget to work in and they make purchase orders for what fits in their yearly funds. I just have not had good luck with Streamlight (regardless of how many of them I own or use or were issued). I just have had good luck over the years with Surefire (granted way more expensive, but out of my own stupidity I have broken them) and Pelican products seems care free about fixing their products weather its your fault or theirs.