Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: New Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights

Hey Lux you never said what you thought about the light :poke:

It is as impressive as everyone has said. However, I have one of the "needs bulb adjustment" models, and was going to try a 4300bulb and shimming while I was at it. Probably will also put in the A123 cells while open.

Haven't checked here in a while, but to lux...yes the bulb WAS the shorter version. It was exactly the same length as the one originally in the stanley! So I ended up getting two 4300K bulbs. One for the Stanley, and one for the POB. Haven't done anything with the POB yet.

Thanks! On the EBay link I posted above for that seller, do you remember which of the many listings he has that you got?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is as impressive as everyone has said. However, I have one of the "needs bulb adjustment" models, and was going to try a 4300bulb and shimming while I was at it. Probably will also put in the A123 cells while open.
Unless the cool tint bothers you, you might not want to go all the way to 4300K -- startup is much slower than with the 8000K stock (now it's about 17s till I stop seeing a change in the beam), and I'm seriously considering blowing another $20 on some 5000 or 6000K bulbs instead, in hopes that I can get back the quick start while keeping most of my newfound lumens. (Also, the 4300K I got has almost no blue glow when I turn it off. :()

That said, I'm not sure the intermediate options will get me the tradeoff I want, not having tried them, and maybe it's just because I got a cheap 4300K bulb -- I'm no expert on HIDs, so I don't know how much variation there is...

Oh, on the topic of "short" vs. "long" bulbs -- my understanding is that any H3 bulb, regardless of actual length, should have the arc in the same place WRT the flange. I just grabbed the cheapest H3 4300K bulb kit I saw on ebay ($20 for two bulbs), and the length seems just right..

BVH

Flashaholic

When I fire my two Stanleys off together - one with the original 8000K bulb, the other with a 4300K bulb, there is no difference in start-up/time to full brightness.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I fire my two Stanleys off together - one with the original 8000K bulb, the other with a 4300K bulb, there is no difference in start-up/time to full brightness.
Ok, maybe I just shouldn't have been such a cheapskate. Or maybe the old one did take this long, and I'm just remembering poorly.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

We finally got a warm night in the desert tonight, and with only an occasional breeze, I managed to just barely make out a power line tower Google Earth measures at 2,900 feet, or .55 miles.

I think the wind plays a big role, I've been unable for some time to replicate my earlier .47 mile mark, but every time I've tried it's been windy. With the air nearly still, I can see it plainly, and beyond that. Even tonight, I noticed that when a breeze picked up, the tower at .55 miles suddenly wasn't reflective anymore, but in the calm I could make it out again.

I now see why the bulb's return lead is on the bottom/6 o'clock position (creating a v-shape cut into the top of the beam profile) - if you hold the light somewhat low and view what you're trying to light directly within the dark cleft in the beam profile, it's much easier to see if anything is reflecting. If you hold the light near eye level or view the beam from any other angle, the beam itself can obscure tiny details.

The only other issue I had tonight was bugs - you can definitely tell it's spring; I could only have the light on for a couple of minutes before I was being swarmed like a streetlight. Still not sure how to get around that one..

Hopefully I'll soon get a night when the air is completely dead still, and I can break the 1,000 yard mark..

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I think the wind plays a big role, I've been unable for some time to replicate my earlier .47 mile mark, but every time I've tried it's been windy. With the air nearly still, I can see it plainly, and beyond that. Even tonight, I noticed that when a breeze picked up, the tower at .55 miles suddenly wasn't reflective anymore, but in the calm I could make it out again.

Makes perfect sense considering the wind kicks up particulates. Same issue on humid nights refracting light.

XrayMed

Newly Enlightened

First off Let me say Hi! I have read this Thread from the very first entry to the end. I have to say this is the most mature, polite and respectful thread I have come across. There has not been an ill word spoken to or about a soul on this thread. That is very impressive!

After the first 3 pages of praises of this light, I went and bought 2 of them! One for me and one for may father. I couldn't wait for it to get dark. Yes I was very impressed. I have always been an flashight fanatic, don't ask me why, but now that I have found this forum I know I am not alone. Anyways, this is a very impressive light.

I have noticed that quite a few of yall are into modding this light. I have always been into modding different things and this light will be no exception. Ok here is my Idea. There seems to be some dis-like in the pistol design and many want it to have a top handle. Has anyone here thought of making a whole new case with a top handle all the while keeping the refractory portion of the original light. I was thinking of trying to make a fiberglass case with a top handle design and try to acheive some sort of weatherproofing.

Let me know what yall think.

Dustin

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened

Has anyone here thought of making a whole new case with a top handle all the while keeping the refractory portion of the original light. I was thinking of trying to make a fiberglass case with a top handle design and try to acheive some sort of weatherproofing.

I'm just throwing an idea in here, I seem to recall a few suppliers making aluminium boxes for electronic components. Maybe one of those could be modified to house the components of this HID light? Being aluminium may be beneficial to heat conduction as well (if it's an issue that is) or it may be a problem with high voltages :confused:. Just an idea...

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally think that the pistol grip is easier to hold and operate than a top handle. The center of gravity isn't all that high, and it doesn't bother me at all.

rala

Newly Enlightened

I agree with Mjonir saying that the pistol grip being easier to handle. The body of the light rests on top of my hand so it isn't at all awkward. I also think the pistol grip makes it easier to aim. For example. Let's say your aiming it down a field, parallel to the ground, all of a sudden you hear a strange sound from the tree branches above. I can guarantee you I'll have the pistol grip aiming straight up quicker than the top handled light. ( remember these lights weigh a few pounds.)

LightVsDarkness

Newly Enlightened

rala,

the pistol grip is a great configuration and would be very fast to shoot a beam up into the trees at night looking for owls, etc :rolleyes:. It might be a little slower to shine the beam up if you were on a walk and holding the light with your arm fully extended downward because of the weight and have to bring it up to shine into a tree. The light with a top handle might be a slight bit faster, depending on exactly where you need to point it

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Here is a couple shots showing there is plenty of room for 4s A123 3.3V cells. Just need to add a balance tap JST plug, and cell LED.

Why bother switching? because it becomes almost 1 1/2 pounds lighter.

Patriot

Flashaholic

In my opinion top handles are far more ergonomic for the majority of tasks. Weight slung low is always more steady while more muscle input is required to keep weight above your hand. While walking with a top handle light the arm can be left extended near your side while a bottom handle light requires the forearm to be held and 90 degrees to your upper arm. Top handle lights aim uphill more easily and bottom grips aim downhill more easily. Still, the lower grip is a traditional style for the spotlight and it certainly works better than a top grip when used from the window of a vehicle or other seated positions.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

In my opinion top handles are far more ergonomic for the majority of tasks. Weight slung low is always more steady while more muscle input is required to keep weight above your hand. While walking with a top handle light the arm can be left extended near your side while a bottom handle light requires the forearm to be held and 90 degrees to your upper arm. Top handle lights aim uphill more easily and bottom grips aim downhill more easily. Still, the lower grip is a traditional style for the spotlight and it certainly works better than a top grip when used from the window of a vehicle or other seated positions.

Ummmm....what?:thinking:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Here is a couple shots showing there is plenty of room for 4s A123 3.3V cells. Just need to add a balance tap JST plug, and cell LED.

Why bother switching? because it becomes almost 1 1/2 pounds lighter.

Nice work Lux! Please keep us updated. Mod instructions would be greatly appreciated since this is something that I'd be interested in doing also. What are your projections for run-time? I'm going to guess about 50-60 min.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Ummmm....what?:thinking:

you 'no' think so... :) Do you generally prefer holding the weight above a clinched fist then? :huh:

I suppose I was thinking about the polarion when I came to my conclusions. It can be carried for a long time with just a couple of fingers and pointed in many directions.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

you 'no' think so... :) Do you generally prefer holding the weight above a clinched fist then? :huh:

I suppose I was thinking about the polarion when I came to my conclusions. It can be carried for a long time with just a couple of fingers and pointed in many directions.
I was half kidding, half confused on all the orientation scenarios. :)

Nice work Lux! Please keep us updated. Mod instructions would be greatly appreciated since this is something that I'd be interested in doing also. What are your projections for run-time? I'm going to guess about 50-60 min.

The A123 26700 cells only have 2300mAh, where the stock SLA is listed as a 3Ah (if that is real under this demand).

On the other hand, I could recharge the A123 in 20-30 mins.

Patriot

Flashaholic

I was half kidding, half confused on all the orientation scenarios. :)

I probably worded my thoughts poorly as I often do, especially when it's close to bedtime..:sleepy: You did give me an idea though, about illustrating the differences with pictures. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Lux
The A123 26700 cells only have 2300mAh, where the stock SLA is listed as a 3Ah (if that is real under this demand).

oh ok. I just recall seeing somewhere that 4 x A123s ran the 75W Maxabeam for close to 25 minutes and I know that you also have that same set-up yourself. Is 25 min. realistic or a stretch?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

oh ok. I just recall seeing somewhere that 4 x A123s ran the 75W Maxabeam for close to 25 minutes and I know that you also have that same set-up yourself. Is 25 min. realistic or a stretch?

I have 4s2p in the MaxaBeam, and ShortArc told me he timed that setup running MB for 1hr 6 mins, so not sure how that compares exactly to this light, but it should be 30-40 mins for 4s1p

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

For my uses (which are mostly pointing the light for short periods of time), a pistol grip would be easier. I don't really see anyone going on a walk with an HID spotlight (without annoying the neighbors), at least not with it on. When the Stanley is off, holding it upside down by the pistol grip makes it slightly easier to carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.