Start up characteristics of HID?

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I have no experience with HID at all. So, when I received (2) 35W HID ballasts and igniters and 1 D2R bulb from an eBay auction. I quickly connected each ballast to my 12V 7A SLA battery that just came off a float charger from an alarm system. When connected, the bulb was flickered at a very high rate on both ballasts.

Is this normal? Did I not let the bulb warm up enough? Is this what happens when there is too much voltage from a freshly charged battery? Anything else I can do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
They usually flicker when the voltage gets low not high. The voltage on that battery of yours may be dropping under load. Try hooking it to a car while its running. You will find the voltage to be at least 13.8 volts (Not 12). The ballasts used in flashlights will work off 11 volts generally so when the batteries go down- they still work.
X990 HID flashlight flickers when cells exhausted-time to charge.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
An 35 watt HID ballast can take atlest 8-10 amps when starting up, if your 7 ah battery is older or going bad and can not supply that current it will flicker or strobe as the forward voltage falls.

I personaly operate my spare 35 watt HID lights with a min of a 12 ah battery, the little 7ah guys do not like that start up current and I only get maby 5-10 start ups even though after starting they run the ballast quite well.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Thanks for the guidance. My next try will be with my 17A battery and then it's off to my Jeep. I'll let you know how things turn out.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
a 7 amp hour thor sla has no problem driving my phillips 35 watt ballasts.

11 or 12 4.5ah(depending on ballast)nimh c cells work great

no flickering blinking problems

lotsalumens

Enlightened
A 7ah battery also has no problem powering my 50w ballast. Your bulb should not be flickeriing unless that battery is bad and is not fully charging.

cfb

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I guess my 7A battery is about to die... 'cause I left my 17A battery on the charger for 2 days then hooked up the ballasts and bulb and it worked like a charm on both ballasts.

I'm really psyched to mount this into my A4 projector to make some radical flashlight!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice. Really appreciate it.