Starter kit. 18650 longthrow LED inc battery, spare and charger. Under $100 AUD ?

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
**Edit: After speaking to a few people arround the internets.. I have come to the conclusion that what I want cannot be had for $100aud.**
**As such I have decided to increase my budget, or more exactly purchase the batteries and charger then worry about the light**
**With that being done.. I should be the owner of some nice panasonic 3400ma 18650's and a nitecore d2 charger by the end of the week**

Sooo new question...to meet the below. ? Up to $100 for light alone.. does that get anything of significant improvement ?

*** end edit ***

Hi guys and girls,
Have been browsing the different light forums for some time now...
Have some basic aa/aaa cree edc's from hardware stores etc and some halogen/hid 6v/12v
But it is time to get something smaller and brighter.

Looking for a 1x to 3x 18650 3400ma protected longthrow led torch. Batteries. Charger etc.
Will be stored at home and in car.
Used in field, along coast line and up on a few mountains while setting up cellular to wifi point to point hotspot systems with a 30km max range.
Wifi is setup with sights to aim them at each other but at 30km they are going to be pretty much invisible.. hence torches with some sort of strobe. Ability to mount on a scoped .222 would also be nice.
Will be charged off 240v and 12v. Should be able to take a few knocks and some solid rain.

Any good suggestions ?
Would like to order asap but if budget is impossible I could be persuaded to wait a few weeks.

Thanks in advance!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
_x___Up to $100. Delivered.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__x__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
_x___MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__x__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
__x__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__x__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__x__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__x__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_x___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
__x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
__x__Other, please specify___optional _trigger_switch would be bonus_______________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
__x__I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
_optional___I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
__x__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance = stand up to heavy rain.
____None needed
__x__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__x__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions = mostly house sometimes car for weeks.
_x___In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__x__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

None.

Last edited:

Milo Fisher

Newly Enlightened
How about the Thrunite TN12 which uses 1x18650 and outputs 1050 lumens and a Nitecore D2 battery charger? That with a couple of batteries can be had from ebay for well less than $100 Aussie. I have the TN12 and D2 charger and both are very nice. Not sure about the scoped .222 mount though.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
Not a bad looking light, Where are you getting prices from ? Ive had a quick look arround ebay, seems to be $30-$34 for panasonic 3400ma protected batts, $23-$29 for Nitecore D2 charger and $49-$250 for torch (and the $49 torch just sold!)
There is older stock for $39 but my understanding was the 2014 edition was much better ?
N.B: Delivered to areacode 2550 NSW Australia.
There also seemed to be a Thrunite bundle with their batteries and charger for $99 USD + Shipping on amazon but when you add exchange and shipping...
How good is the Thrunite charger in the amazon bundle vs Nitecore D2?
Nitecore batteries vs panasonic ?
I would prefer to buy it all in one place if possible with bundle discount.. and someone that is going to deliver within a week or two instead of a month or 6.
Any suggestions of specific stores ?
Anyone with an alternate suggestion that would be more suitable or does everyone agree that the TN12 is most apropriate for my usage and budget ?
Side note, budget increased to $119.99aud (ie, I put another $20 on the prepaid card) as I couldnt seem to find it for well under $100aud as suggested And I do really like the look of thrunite... will probably end up with a catapult v5 and TN32 eventually... but cannot justify costs right now with batteries etc..
Am considering waiting another week to get a D4 charger vs a D2 to future proof myself for upgrades to lights requiring more cells,
Would you guys consider this advisable or would I be better off buying a different charger ? or a 2nd D2 when it comes time to upgrade ?

Thanks in advance guys and girls! :)

Milo Fisher

Newly Enlightened
Looking at ebay, you can get the TN12 for $50 with free shipping. You can also get 2x 3000mah batteries and a Nitecore i2 charger (sorry I thought $50 would be plenty for the d2 + batteries but that doesn't seem the case) for < $50 with shipping which makes the package just within your budget. If you are thinking you might need to charge more than 2 batteries at a time, you could certainly consider the d4/i4 but that, of course, would be more money. I actually like the compact size of the d2 charger.

Last edited:

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
So at less than 10 bucks difference. D2 seems the better deal than the i2....if the comments I found with regards to it working with problematic batteries is true. D4 will have to wait till later then I will be able to charge 6 at a time..
Next.. 3400ma protected 18650... x2 does the tn12 require button tops ? Who is good that delivers to aus? Seems to be a fair few fakes on ebay.. or reports of fakes... and a hell of a lot of overpriced stores...

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
So ordered batts and charger... budget blown..
New budget.. up to 100 for light alone

Suggestions $?

tubed

Enlightened
hard to tell from this chain where i'm fitting this in (Edits in Post #1 noted).
There are several good single 18650 throwers. Here are my thoughts.
- there are many small single 18650 lights but most do not have particularly large heads and therefore are not wonderful throwers (i.e Fenix, Thrunites, olights,etc).
-the only real throwers (i.e large heads) I found were the Nitecore SR6,7, the Armytecs (Viking and Predator lines) and the Eagletac G2c2 or the S200c2. *(there may be others)
-I have the S200c2 and love it.

It looks like you want a simple UI and the S200 has only 3 levels. It does not, however, have a strobe. The G2C2 does (I think) but is more expensive. The Armytec offerings have a wide variety of UIs but I didn't like them and their low settings were way too high. The nitecores may fit your needs well (but I don't buy nitecore anymore).
Good luck

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't matter if it is a 1x 2x or 3 x 18650 light.. its not a edc.. I would like to keep it under 4x due to weight considerations. As I already murdred my entire budget buying batteries... ive been paid since so decided to dedicate another hundred to the light alone... now the lights I would perfer are all up around the 300 mark.. but that is not happening anytime soon.. I would prefer more thow on light than the tn12 listed above.. tho the tn12 does sound quite nice for a more carried light and I will probably end up with one on a belt clip for when I walk arround the dodgy parts of town and don't fall in a damn wombat hole.... my eyesight isnt that great at night so wanting to put max light out far as possible for my budget

It will be paired with a faily solid zos 10x40-50 if I can mount it until I can get something like a catapult v5 with trigger switch for the weekends.. n.b. We have over 3km of clear los on the farm backed by hills on two sides.

Primary use will be sighting into looong open spaces... up to 30km..now I know not even a laser is going to actually be visible at that range.. but being able to make sure there is nothing blocking the line of sight for the first km would be nice.. and being seen from the other end of the 30km.. hence no laser.. dont want to assidentally shine it in someones eyes and perma blind them when sighting in the wifi links..
there are soo many nice lights out there.. ive stuck to the sub 50 buck ones so far.. would like solid advice before I drop double that on a light.
Ta.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
I have plans to own atleast 3x thrunite lights as my budget allows.. I quite like their fairly reasonable prices compared to the other makers.. going to get a ti. Cat v5 and tn32.. when i can afford them. After reading the reviews ive added the tn12 to the list. Hope to find something in between the cat v5 and tn12 for now if possible..

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
Ok ladies and gents. I have had two quite good suggestions thus far. One for a single 18650. One for a tripple 18650..
Any suggestions for a 2x 18650 that would be in my price range ?

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Are you open to modded light's?

If so contact vinh ([email protected]) or go to his sub fourm, you will find many throwers for under your $200 budget that will out thrower many stock lights!

He also often makes them more reliable, and as its not a fully custom light it won't take weeks or mounths to receive your order, 1-2 weeks is what I have experienced and I am in UK. (That's from them of order to in my hands)

If you wanted to go up to 4*18650 then his K40vn will out throw any stock light. But if wiaght and size is an issue he also dose some smaller 1\2\3 cell size throwers to!

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
My mistake I just seen you said AUD, not USD, but that's only 20AUD difference?

Anyways good luck and let us know what you decide.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
Hah. Ive no objections to modded lights.. would prefer not to do it myself as those sort of things dont seem to go well for me.. given what ive spent already. I can make it 100usd. 200 is waaaay over budget well ok. Not way. But more than i can spend this week. Pretty sure vins lights are a significant way outside my budget given the unmodified hosts are pushing it.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
So ordered a tn12 for now. Considering a maxtoch m24 depending on reviews and cost modded ;)
More lights is better right?

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>
It will be paired with a faily solid zos 10x40-50 if I can mount it until I can get something like a catapult v5 with trigger switch for the weekends.. n.b. We have over 3km of clear los on the farm backed by hills on two sides.

Primary use will be sighting into looong open spaces... up to 30km..now I know not even a laser is going to actually be visible at that range.. but being able to make sure there is nothing blocking the line of sight for the first km would be nice.. and being seen from the other end of the 30km.. hence no laser.. dont want to assidentally shine it in someones eyes and perma blind them when sighting in the wifi links..
there are soo many nice lights out there.. ive stuck to the sub 50 buck ones so far.. would like solid advice before I drop double that on a light.
Ta.

There's a saying... "buy once, cry once"

It looks like you have already cried a number of times, and you have bumped your current budget to near the catapult v5. You might wait another paycheck, bump your budget, and be done with it.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
Yeah.. I'm starting to get that feeling. Tn12 should do for work and the 100w hid lightforce will do for shooting. . Until something grabs my fancy or i save enough for the v5..
Of course i put a bit over 100 aud into my paypal cards account to buy a light.. now i have only spent half of that.. so I've started looking at new Keychain lights.. sigh..