Strange flashlight, does anyone know what it is?

rocled

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I was at a Metallica concert last night and I saw a cool flashlight. I tried to get a good look, but it was pretty dark, and the bouncer was 10 feet away. I would say it was about 6 inches long. It reminded me of a streamlight, cause of the body shape. But the feature that stood out the most was the tailcap. When the light was on, the tailcap area lit up too. And when they would shake them, the tailcap area would change color from yellow, red and I think blue. I have no clue what it was, but it looked awesome. Anyone have any clue what it is?:confused:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
No idea...but I was at that show last night, it kicked *ss!!! :rock:

I even scored a back stage pass and got to meet the band! It was one of the best nights of my life! :thumbsup:

Did you notice if all of the staff had the lights, or just that one guy? I didn't see anything like that, but then, I really wasn't looking too closely either. I was concentrating on the show.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Pila is the only light I know of that offers a light-up tailcap, but just single-color (white, red, green, IR), it doesn't change. I'd be interested to know the light you saw..

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
The Dorcy Hawk-Eye has an alternating blue and red tailcap LED....may be what you saw as it is cheap and most likely those guys dont spend much on their lights anyway...

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/hawkeye.htm

EDIT....Sorry about jumping the gun as I should have read the review better. It seems the light I linked to has filters stored in the tailcap for changing the color from the bezel area rather than the tailcap. Disregard my post please.....no sleep tonight.

Last edited:

e-ville

Newly Enlightened
not saying you're crazy, because I'd like to know what kind of light they were too. but could they have been silver or chrome and just reflecting the stage lighting?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't know what it might be but Glo Toob offers Maglite endcaps that light up.

I have a red one on my Mag, they don't make models that change colors..

Cap1.jpg

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Last edited:

rocled

Newly Enlightened
The light was "pocketable". More than one stage crew member had them. About three that I saw. The changing tailcap seemed to be part of the light, no add-ons. The tailcap was emmitting light, it wasn't stage light reflections. And again, only when the light was on that the tailcap lit up. The lights were a black body. It did not look like the Dorcy. The rest of them had Coast or other cheap ones. I wished I would have asked... And yes, people still go to see Metallica!!!

Last edited:

rala

Newly Enlightened
Dorcy carries a Luxeon K2 equipped light that has a tailcap/switch that glows green then fades to red as the batteries weaken. I got one from Target. Its beam was decently bright but too green for me and runs on 3xAAA. So I gave it to one of my staff members that works the graveyard shift.

Dorcy K2

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, people still go to a Metallica concert? :confused:

Yep, they sell out every single arena they play in...for good reason I might add. I've been to well over 100 concerts in the last 32 years and few bands even come close to putting on a show like Metallica does. They may be older, but they still absolutely SHRED every place they play in...they are INCREDIBLE live!!!
1022.gif
1022.gif
1022.gif

Back to the OP...I wish I had seen the lights in question.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch out you don't sing along too loudly or Lars Ulrich will sue you for stealing his thunder :nana:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
He can definitely be a d*ck sometimes, but he sure treated everyone good when I met him at the show. He's far from being my favorite member of Metallica though, that's for sure.

rocled

Newly Enlightened
Yeah Lars is a character...:laughing: Lets not forget his roots... Anyway back on the subject.. the light?

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
Yea like someone already said Dorcy K2 Luxeon has a light up tail cap clicky. did it look like this?
DorcyK2LED_3AAA_tailstand2.jpg

btw its an amazing light for $31 at Target, 120 Lumens, apparently you can also get in in 160 Lumens too.

Latest posts