Streamlight 4AA Propolymax

Erik1213

Enlightened
Got one from Brightguy a couple of weeks ago. Since this thread's been dead for a few weeks, thought I'd resurrect it with some beamshots (PP on left, 200 lm G2X on right):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Your new Streamlight seems to have the same nice "neutral" cool that my ProTac 2AA (XP-G2 LED) model has. It is the most perfect cool white LED light that I have ever seen. There is no yellow, green, purple or blue. Can you tell me what LED is in your model?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I like it. I prefer "plastic" lights over metal, and it's hard to get 300 lumens from plastic. Throws as well as my E2DL (200L), and with brighter spill. I currently have it programmed for low-high. Belt clip works great. Great light for 43 bucks. Only complaint is the size. Pretty big for 4AA (it's no Tec40).
It's good to hear that you like these lights. And it's also good to know that they have good throw to them, as well... :)

This is going to make a cool new light to take with me on Halloween..

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered and received a Streamlight Propolymax 4AA with C4 LED.

I also ordered an optional clip.

Image.jpg

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the LED module still loose as it was with the old Luxeon model? This is what I disliked most about the old model (and the unreliable switch).

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure don't own one, sorry! I looked into it a long time, but never bit.

Jetbeam claims *all* their PA40s are neutral...but I recall reading that it was on the cool side of neutral. Like this person here recounts: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tral-impressions-of-the-tint-and-beam-profile

I don't recall anyone successfully swapping the emitter, and if anyone did, I'm sure it wasn't easy.

For the record, I did a PA40 LED swap, and no, it was not easy.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?353683-Anyone-taken-a-Jetbeam-PA40-apart

I received a PA40 that was advertised as NW, but had no W suffix and was pretty cool IMO.

fishx65

Enlightened
These are still my favorite flashlights after all these years. I have four modded with seouls which are the greatest night tracking/hunting lights I've ever found. Is this new version still a thrower like the original?

bhds

Enlightened
Center spot is much bigger but brighter. Throw may be slightly less than the original. I'm going to watch for sales and pick up a couple more. It will be replacing my modded 2 and 3d maglites that I have around the house.:thumbsup:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree, I feel the same way about the Propolymax as I do with the Fenix e40 vs. PA40...I'd rather have either than the Jetbeam PA40. The PA40 at 468 lumens is 7300 candelas. It's too floody for my tastes at that output.

The e40 (xp-e) is 17,500cd at 220 lumens and the propolymax (is the emitter an xp-g2?) is 17,000cd at 300 lumens. I have a Maglite ML100 that has nearly 24,000 candelas at only 137 lumens and it is actually very useful outdoors and indoors, even though it is somewhat crude compared to more expensive Chinese lights. I love the throw and the fact that it takes 2 C cells, but it does end up being a more specialized light because of the tight beam. If I'm taking a walk at night I'll wear a Fenix MC11 set on low and carry along the Maglite if I want to light something up more.

Maybe someone else with experience with really bright, floody lights can chime in with their experience, but mine is that if I'm going to have a lot of lumens, I want them focused farther away. I feel like when I have a bright, floody light it just ends up reflecting back the extra lumens from things that are close by (the ground or vegetation) and making my night vision worse.

With small EDC lights, I don't mind floodier, weaker output.

If they put a larger reflector on a PA40 I'd be more interested. I love the efficiency and modes of that light.

Traditionally how conservative are streamlight's ratings vs. the other two?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the LED module still loose as it was with the old Luxeon model? This is what I disliked most about the old model (and the unreliable switch).

And anyone else notice these issues in the latest version?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would someone with one of these mind sharing a pic of the inside of the battery compartment?

bhds

Enlightened
Anyone having problems with getting their light to switch modes? All of a sudden my light will not switch between high low and strobe reliably. It doesnt appear to be the switch because it turns on and off fine but double and triple tapping doesnt have any effect.

WDR65

Enlightened
Anyone having problems with getting their light to switch modes? All of a sudden my light will not switch between high low and strobe reliably. It doesnt appear to be the switch because it turns on and off fine but double and triple tapping doesnt have any effect.

Do you think you might have accidentally reprogrammed it to the high mode ? It would probably be fairly easy to do.

bhds

Enlightened
Do you think you might have accidentally reprogrammed it to the high mode ? It would probably be fairly easy to do.

I thought maybe that's what happened but I cant get into the programming mode either. Also, when it does occasionally work, it works the way I originally programmed it to - High, Low, strobe.:thinking:

Sp@rky

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried a fresh set of batteries? My Jet beam does a similar thing when the batteries are low.