Wurkkos

Streamlight polystinger charging issues

vicv

I do not have a charging cradle for mine. I use a ~$1 3s nicd charging chip I bought on ebay. It works great. But the problem is is I need to remove the battery to charge it. Will not charge from the pins.
Using a DMM, if I check to the either of the springs, I get continuity to both + and - pins.
Also, there is a brass strip going from the base( where the tail cap threads on) to almost the springs. I can not see it connect to anywhere at the head though. I'm not sure what this is for as the light gets it's - connection from the outer spring at the head. And this contact has nothing to the pins. Anyone have experience with the electronics of this light?
Thanks

Last edited:

UFO

I currently own 6 Streamlight Stingers of various types: Xenon-LED & LED HL & HPL. These are basically the same thing as yours. They all use the same battery as your Polystinger, either 75175 NiCD, or 75375 NiMH.

While I do not have any issues charging these batteries, may I suggest you eliminate the charging problem altogether by getting either a Streamlight charging cradle, or a "Stand Alone" charger that will accept those two types of batteries.

That way your charging problem is no longer a concern.

Don't know if this helps but I saw no other responses and thought I would offer some type of solution to your issues.

vicv

Hello. Thank you for the response. I have looked into getting a charging cradle. But being that I'm in Canada, we do not have the availability that people in the USA do. For me to get a charging cradle would cost almost as much as a new light. Which I may buy a new stinger someday anyway. This is just a temporary thing. Also the switch is very sticky on this too so I don't feel this late is really worth investing into unfortunately.

UFO

I wasn't aware that items such as these cost much more in Canada. Very sorry for your predicament. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Late Entry: I'm guessing now that it's probably not the cost of the item but the shipping charges.

Last edited:

vicv

I will admit I'm kind of jealous of your stinger collection. I wish I had an incandescent one.
There is someone by me who's selling two ultra stingers, one with a working battery, along with a bunch of extra lamp assemblies and chargers. I was strongly considering it but he's asking $100 for them. While it's probably worth it I'm not really feeling like spending that much money on a couple of 20 plus year old flashlights

UFO

Keep looking. You're bound to find a good one sooner or later. Streamlight sold millions of those worldwide. I guarantee you, someone has one in good shape that's just sitting in a drawer somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it. I saw one on eBay the other day. NIB. Never used. He was asking way too much for it though, so I know they're out there.

Old flashlights are like "Taxis". If you miss one, there's always another one right around the corner.

dano

Does your battery have the actual negative (-) connection on the rear of the battery, or is it covered?

vicv

The rear is bare and I use it for charging. But the light gets the negative from a spring on the front. The rear/tailcap has no connection/spring

Latest posts