Streamlight Protac HL 5-X Bezel diameter same as Mag

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Got a Streamlight Protac HL 5-X for my birthday / Christmas present since I'm in the December Birthday SHAFT club. :)

I like Streamlight stuff, for $100 this is a pretty nice solidly build blaster. Recommended it to a friend who took his chaperoning a scouting trip. Amazed all the kids and he loved it, so I had to have one.

Held it nose-to-nose with one of my Maglites and the bezels seemed to line up perfectly. I used to have one of those Mag accessory kits way back in the day, long since lost all the pieces. scalpel_ninja came to my rescue, buying a few kits at Mag's actual walk up store (!) and shipping them to me.

Low and behold, the bezel ring guard is the exact right diameter. I trimmed it a bit so it would seat all the way down, but now I have anti-roll and additional drop-protection for my Streamlight that I'll be keeping close at hand with these cold dark winter nights here in the PA woods. I think it complements the rubberized grip.

I'm pretty sure if I put a colored lens it in on high, the lens would cease to be solid matter in a few minutes.

C0DQ6YW.jpg

9xtgqXE.jpg

tf7NoBF.jpg

aznsx

Enlightened
Got a Streamlight Protac HL 5-X for my birthday / Christmas present

Don't have one, but the 5X looks like a neat unit, and that's a nice addition to it. I'm sure it'll do the job. I think it was Bykfixer who mentioned having a 4X and said something like just about lighting up a football field with it:), and the 5X is likely also capable. Should be a lot of useful light for the money, with decent SL quality and support to boot.

EDIT: Hopefully that new accessory doesn't impact thermal dissipation much...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
AZ, I would surmize the HL4 shining on a newspaper at one goal post of a football field from the other goal post, that the newspaper would be readable. And as far wide as the out of bounds stripes.

That's a neat idea Sween. :clap:

hsa

Enlightened
Good idea to protect the lens, I don't think you can hurt the rest of it. I dropped mine through the engine compartment of the golf cart and it bounced around and finally hit the floor. It was unharmed but I'll make sure to not do that again.
The low and medium setting on this light work out good for me. The high on this one and the HL 4 are good for lighting up acreage.
You can add an HL 4 tail switch to that light if you want, I like the side switch myself.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I am a fan of the side switch for a light this big. Decades of Maglites have me conditioned to find the side switch quickly.
My friend lamented no tailswitch on his, I'll let him know the HL4 one fits.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!

I also like the SL HL 5-X, it's an excellent light!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The one thing I had hoped Streamlight would do at upgrade time was add a side switch. The front end weight makes for wrist fatigue if you carry it with a thumb on the tailcap switch like with the HL3 etc. The 4/5 are suited for a side switch in my view.

So bravo for Streamlight on that account.

aznsx

Enlightened
The one thing I had hoped Streamlight would do at upgrade time was add a side switch. The front end weight makes for wrist fatigue if you carry it with a thumb on the tailcap switch like with the HL3 etc. The 4/5 are suited for a side switch in my view.

So bravo for Streamlight on that account.

I'm tellin' ya Byk, those SL folks listen to their customer base. Heck, they even listened to you!:)

Along the same lines, you'll never pick up a more balanced light than my Stinger 2020 (I haven't). Balance / handling was a priority with that DS design, and they nailed it - dead in the X-ring. Think of a 944, or C5-C7 with engine up front and transaxle in rear.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Coming back on this, realized something very interesting. I have an airsoft-clone-quality 2.5" flip-up diffuser that I originally got for an Olight M31. It fits over the Maglite bezel guard. I removed the rubber liner to the diffuser and it's a perfect fit. It's a handy accessory for camping and admin tasks.

v9Kl3g1h.jpg

cs4Wr6Uh.jpg

p8dMnOWh.jpg

mfouBy5h.jpg

Last edited: