streamlight pt 2 aa

smoky123

Newly Enlightened
Hi , I am new to the flashlight world but don't want a cheap light like always was the case . All I want is a descent light for home an camping .I want aa batteries also . how would the streamlight pt 2 aa be ? Thanks for your input .

County

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forum!

The PT-2AA is a decent multi-purpose light. It does have a pretty tight hotspot so it's great for distance illumination. The corona or spill-beam is usable but there are other AA lights that are more floody, which might be a better attribute for general use such as household projects or camping where you might tend to need a wider area illuminated at once. It's a matter of personal preference. Perhaps you prefer a more tightly focused beam and if so, you'll be very happy with the pt-2AA. I don't have any specific recommendations for a floody AA light but I'm sure others will.

Hope this helps!

Mike

bnemmie

Enlightened
Its not a bad little light. I EDC'ed one for a while. I didn't like the UI much but that was a personal preference. All in all tho, it was a quality light that always worked for me and was enough light for that I needed it for.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I have several Streamlights including the Protac 1AA (70 lumen version), 2L (260 lumen version), and HL. I like the 1AA and 2L the best due to better battery life and plenty of lumens for my needs. I do agree with bnemmie that the UI could use some improvement (my favorite UI is the 2 stage Elzetta). For the price the Streamlight Protac is hard to beat, but one thing to keep in mind is that they do have PWM which on low mode may be something you need to consider whether or not it is suitable for your application (the frequency of PWM appears to be relatively slow). For the money though they really are good lights in my opinion.

If you do go with the 2AA be sure to get the 155 lumen model with Ten Tap programming as this will give you more flexibility over the UI as well as have a better beam than the older models. Also the new 2L model seams to have better heat management than the older version, but it has been quite a while since I had the older version so I can't do a scientific test on this.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Streamlight PT 2 AA

Your post is still there and I responded to it, but just to add to my earlier response, you should factor in how cold is it where you go camping and what run time you want. Bottom line is I like the Protac lights other than the PWM. If you really want AA over 123 than stick with the 2AA Model, but the 123 has more lumens and better run time. Be sure to get the new Ten-Tap model for the reasons I mentioned in the original thread, plus the new AA models work with lithium batteries, which perform much better in the cold and are more reliable than alkalines.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Streamlight PT 2 AA

Your duplicate thread has been merged and moved. - Norm

dod

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check out the Terralux lights. They are about the same size streamlights model but a bit cheaper. I picked up a TLF-Pro1 it takes a single AA. Seems to be a great light so far.

Its not as bright as they claim, but still very bright, and pocketable.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator: