Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II Review

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Access to the board is very easy. All emitters and electronic components are mounted on the same pcb which is rectangulqr.

The external switch, which appears pretty well sealed, merely acts as a pushrod for the actual lectronic clicky. The board appears to be held in place only by the two wires which connect the positive and negative ends of the battery tube.

Very simple and easy disaasembly for those interested. Just remove the four screws of the bezel and lift it, the lens and gasket off, the plastic reflector falls out as well as the upper plastic portion covering the three 5mm leds. Ill try to upload a picture later.

Im no electronics engineer, but with all components being so easy to access, does anyone know if the main processor could be reprogrammed by anyone here on the board d?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing still ticking along?

Any feedback on longevity?

It is indeed still ticking along. Thanks to its small size, I've taken to using this attached to my biking backpack and set the flashing red going. I then know that if needed I've also got a white light to use. I'm running it on AA eneloop rather than CR123.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you have quite a few hours on it?

I've always been curious about this light, and I've also always been curious why its the only series SL offers a 1 year instead of a lifetime warranty?

Any thoughts since you have a lot of experience with the light?

Thanks!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
No idea about the lesser guarantee. Maybe it is the lift and turn switch, maybe it is the military look (so users might give it harder use), but apart from that nothing really comes to mind.

I have used it a lot, but bear in mind I have a LOT of lights, so it tends to be used on my bike rides rather than anything else. I really like it. It is different and can even run on anything from AAA to RCR123 (but be careful NOT to pick max output on white as it does overdrive the light).

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
No idea about the lesser guarantee. Maybe it is the lift and turn switch, maybe it is the military look (so users might give it harder use), but apart from that nothing really comes to mind.

I have used it a lot, but bear in mind I have a LOT of lights, so it tends to be used on my bike rides rather than anything else. I really like it. It is different and can even run on anything from AAA to RCR123 (but be careful NOT to pick max output on white as it does overdrive the light).

That was my thought. It's just odd that a company has a lifetime warranty on all lights except the Sidewinder series.

:shrug:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried disassembling this light? Would an emitter swap be difficult? It looks like the four screws over the lens would be easy enough to remove.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried disassembling this light? Would an emitter swap be difficult? It looks like the four screws over the lens would be easy enough to remove.

From what I understand and read above it seems like cake to take apart.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the PWM on the Sidewinder Compact II ? PWM normally doesn't bother me but I recently watched a video online of another Streamlight model and the PWM was very visible on the low setting.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the PWM on the Sidewinder Compact II ? PWM normally doesn't bother me but I recently watched a video online of another Streamlight model and the PWM was very visible on the low setting.

According to my test results in the main review there is no PWM. When I get a chance I'll fire it up and double check, but it would have been a bit of an oversight to not mention this. I've certainly tested other Streamlight models which have PWM, but assuming I got the info right, this model doesn't use it.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear there is no PWM. The Sidewinder Compact II is looking like a great BOB light, thanks for the in depth review! I do wish there was a better option than the IR LED, like UV for example but I'm going to get one anyway.

nkrantz

Newly Enlightened
Really interested in this light anyone know if SL is going to upgrade anytime soon?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Really interested in this light anyone know if SL is going to upgrade anytime soon?

I´m thinking about the same. Does anybody know?

Looks like the perfect light for me. With 2016 LED technology the high output on white light will easily be doubled with the same runtime as the "old" version.

Romanko

Newly Enlightened
I sent them an e mail.

Hi

When are you going to update SIDEWINDER COMPACT 2 to CREE XP-L or something better?

Thank you
Dear Customer,

Sorry, there are no plans in place to change the Sidewinder at this time.
Regards,
Eric

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I really like this light too but the output seems lacking by today's led standards... Too bad they aren't going to upgrade the light anytime soon.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
According to my test results in the main review there is no PWM. When I get a chance I'll fire it up and double check, but it would have been a bit of an oversight to not mention this. I've certainly tested other Streamlight models which have PWM, but assuming I got the info right, this model doesn't use it.

It seems Streamlight is getting away from PWM in some of their latest offerings.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Has anyone seen the Foxfury HHC? Looks pretty nice and very much the same type of light like the Sidewinder. Just too bad the HHC dont have a dedicated low mode...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Over a year later I still don't have the Sidewinder compact (Really, I still do intend to get one!)but I did get a full size Sidewinder Rescue model. I believe you are right that it does not use PWM. There is an audible whine on at least one level if you hold the light to your ear. This noise is present on other current control multi-level lights I own and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of PWM.I really like the design and the fact that the switch allows you too choose what led you are using by way of the locking ring.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over a year later I still don't have the Sidewinder compact (Really, I still do intend to get one!)but I did get a full size Sidewinder Rescue model. I believe you are right that it does not use PWM. There is an audible whine on at least one level if you hold the light to your ear. This noise is present on other current control multi-level lights I own and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of PWM.I really like the design and the fact that the switch allows you too choose what led you are using by way of the locking ring.

Do you mean this one?:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?408872-Review-Streamlight-Sidewinder-Rescue-(2xAA)

An excellent light.