Streamlight Stinger vs. Pelican M9

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a new M9 from eBay. I got it for about $40.00 which didn't seem like a bad price. At least I could resell if I wanted to. This is not a numerical review as I can't measure actuall output, or weight, but is instead a real life review.

Streamlight Stinger 15,000 cp
Pelican M9 20,000 cp

The M9, and the Stinger seem to throw about the same distance.
The M9 has the edge on lighting up a room. Good spill with spot.
The Stinger can be focused, the M9 not.
The Stinger wins out on whitness of light.
The Stinger has less light artifacts than the M9. The M9 has polished reflector, and the Stinger an orange peel.
Both are close in size, and weight. However the M9 is slightly shorter, and slightly lighter.
Both are easily recharged without removal of the battery.
The stinger charger is only one stage (trickle). The M9 charger is a fast charger, that drops to trickle. The M9 charger has a better indicator setup as it changes led color once completely charged. Both can be left in the charger.

Overall I would have to give it to the Stinger though as it throws a whiter, tighter beam, with less artifacts, at the same distance. I won't be selling the M9 however. It will be a great light to put by the door, and to have ready, and on hand for those things that go bump in the night. Even if the M9's 20,000 cp doesn't quite equal the Stingers 15,000 cp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Excellent review. I have both units and have posted about the fine qualities of the M9 though the lights are close enough in performance to make personal preference the key decider. My M9 is actually whiter and throws further than my PolyStinger though the PS's bream is smoother (and focusable). I prefer the Stinger's slightly smaller diameter, but the M9's prominantly located on/off button is a decided advantage in a quick deployment situation. As you pointed out, the M9's charger is superior and clearly displays status.

In this case, "buy them both" is a sensible strategy.

Bruightnorm

Eric911

Newly Enlightened
$40 is a steal on the M9, way to go! I have both the Stinger and M9 as well and I carry them as duty lights. One gets carried on the belt and the other sits in reserve in my gear bag. I think that the M9 is often overlooked.

Latest posts