Streamlight Ultrastinger

redbird

Enlightened
I read about this new light on the Streamlight site. Does anyone have any personal experience with this light?

I was told it was available at a few dealers and will generally be available by the end of this month.

It sounds interesting.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by redbird on 01-24-2001 at 04:47 PM</font>

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've heard, there are a few out there, but production was halted until early Feb. because the reflector design needed some tweeking...

--dan

redbird

Enlightened
Well, I took delivery of the UltraStinger today, courtesy of the Briteguy. Greg is my new best buddy.

A quick comparison between the ultrastinger and the 20xp with a 35xp lamp shows it is MUCH brighter. It was worth the wait.

Now, if only my E2 would show up at the doorstep

Brock

Flashaholic
Do you have any Surefires? How does it compare. I thought I heard the Ultra was using the same lamp as the 12PM. Hummmm...

Brock

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Do you have any Surefires? How does it compare. I thought I heard the Ultra was using the same lamp as the 12PM. Hummmm...

Brock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's true you get 500 lumens of light for about 60 minutes in a rechargeable light. Better than the 20 minutes or so from the 10X, and only about half the price. Of course it's bigger than the 10X, the beam isn't nearly as nice I'm sure, and it only has a 12 hour charger instead of 2, but still a nice, lower priced alternative. I do believe I want one. I'd love a SF 10X, but my finances (and wife) won't allow that.

RedBird,
You don't happen to have, or know anybody with a Surefire 12P/Z, or M6 do you? I'd like to know how they compare.

Galls ( galls.com ) has them listed at $114.99 with both AC and DC chargers. Less for just AC or DC.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFires are not designed to compete with StreamLight. I get the impression that whilst SureFire's flashlights are designed for build-quality and beam quality, as well as maximum light output from a truely miniature unit, StreamLight seem to release a cheaper "copy" which isn't designed for the same environments or stresses that SureFire is. Standards have have been reduced. Runtime over quality. Runtime over size.

The SL35X could be a very good flashlight. Certainly in terms of the "Maglight competition" in the same size range. You don't really want to be using one with a weapon though...

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unicorn:

Galls ( galls.com ) has them listed at $114.99 with both AC and DC chargers. Less for just AC or DC.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, for those of you in the Lexington, KY, area (or who wish me to go shopping for them), Gall's has a sale of returned, overstocked, and clearance items the first Saturday of every month. I bought a Streamlight 20X with both AC and DC chargers for under $58, after taxes. All their other stuff is available for similar discounts.
grin.gif

Last summer, they held the sale every Saturday, not just the first one of the month. I'm hoping they do that again this year.

Keep in mind that, unlike from their website, catalog, or showroom, all sales are final. Since most of these flashlight (and lightbar!!!!!) items will be returns, not overstocks or clearance items, examine each closely. Gall's will still warrant the purchase against defects, but their 100%-satisfaction-for-the-life-of-the-product guarantee does not apply.

Also, since these are returns, you have no guarantee that the exact item you're searching for will be there this time. I wouldn't make a long road trip if you're looking only for one particular item; I'd recommend being willing to accept some alternatives.

If you do wish me to make a trip on your behalf, please contact me by e-mail. I'd need the item name, the catalog item number (preferably with a specific catalog and page number for quick reference), a list of acceptable alternatives, a maximum price, and a list of what conditions would be acceptable and/or unacceptable in the item or items. For instance, when I bought my SL20X, it had been engraved for the original sale. The engraving had been ground off, and a hard black finish (probably enamel) had been applied to cover that. For me, this was acceptable. The next time I went with a buddy, and he found the exact same setup (SL20XP with AC/DC chargers), only with no engraving ever having been applied or removed, for the same price.
rolleyes.gif

Keep in mind that all weekend trips to Lexington are subject to cancellation by reason of family emergency (or wifely decree), so don't have me do this if you're in an all-fired hurry. Note: The first Saturday of April is already unavailable. March is "iffy."

redbird

Enlightened
Brock
Yes, I have some Surefires, 9P, 8x, 6P, 6G, 3P, E1 and impatiently waiting for E2.

I changed my SL20x lamp to the SL35x bulb. The runtime is only 45mins but I dont see that as a problem. The output compares now to the Surefire 12pm. However, the amount of light surrounding the main light area is much greater.

As for the UltraStinger. It is awesome! I used to use only stingers till I got the 8x. I prefer rechargeable for the lower operating cost. When I got the Ultrastinger it will replace the SL20x. You would be impressed at the clean no dark spot beam it puts out. I can see a block or so away and a few houses away is like daylight.

The SFs say the 12pm is a force option. The UltraStinger cements that theory in...

I also note the adjustability of the beam is clean and ring free. Much different from the basic stinger.

I am as excited to own this new light as I will be to own the E2 when it is offered to the general public.

Now, if only an E3!!!!!
smile.gif

Gunslinger1LA

Newly Enlightened
Botach`s web site says the ultrastinger uses a 10 watt lamp. If this is true, how can it compare to a 12PM pulling 28.1 watts? Am I missing something?

redbird

Enlightened
I was saying the SL20x with the SL35 bulb is equal to the 12pm. The Ultrastinger is much whiter and brighter. How they get this done I cant answer.

I am only sharing my observations.

I really like the new light

Brock

Flashaholic
I would get one but it is rechargable itsn't it? What I heard is the SL35 used the same lamp but didn't push it as hard as the 12PM was. I would be really curious to see also.

So how does the Ultra comapre to the SL35 lmap, a noticable improvement in brightness? I take it they are all focusable?

Brock

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I do have a SL35X from the late 1980s. IF the present SL35x has not undergone major changes then it is not focusable. The lamp/reflector is in oune unit. This former is a 6V 20W halogen cycle lamp that do not appear to be pushed very hard. I do not as yet have a UltraStinger. Will be very happy if hat proved to be much brighter than the SL35x. This last consumes TWICE the power of a Magcharger (RX2019 - 10W 6V bulb; focusing head)but the bright spot is not as bright. It has a much brighter spill though. Could be useful for close range work but annoying for reaching out (glare). Still, the 75.000 Cd claim of Streamlight sounds optimistic! The UltraStinger uses five Sub C NiCd cells.
this can be replaced with 5 NiMH cells of the same size; result: 3Ah vs 1.8Ah -- nearly twice the run time. For those with some electronic knowlege there are plenty of NiMH charge controllers out there for you to build proper chargers for NiMH cells.

redbird

Enlightened
Brock
If you would send me a personal e-mail on how to post the pictures to the group I will take some pictures of the SL20 with the 35 bulb and the UltraStinger

There is a VERY noticable difference.

The SL20 and SL35 do not have adjustable focus only the Ultra

Brock

Flashaholic
Basically to post an image to the board you have to have the image somewhere anyone on the web can see it. A lot of people post them at photopoint.com Once you have the image posted somewhere it is just a matter of linking it in your post.

Say I hanve an image of a plane at http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/f182.jpg

I just did the link above by simply typing it in, the board automatically makes it a link you can click on.

If I want that same image to actually show up I would put

img src="the file location"

but you need to add a < at the begining of the part and close with a >

Does this help?

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

my buddy (a cop) bought the ultrastinger and likes it, but commented to me that the bulb broke (it was off) when he knocked on a door. before anyone says it (that surefires blow bulbs) he and I use surefires. anyway he said it is BRIGHT, he said he likes it and it is MUCH brighter than a magcharger.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...tell him to use the doorbell next time like all the other humans...

JB

Enlightened
Just refreshing this thread to see if anyone has more input on the Ultra Stinger.

Hope redbird has those comparison photos for us.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I finally got my 12pm and it is way brighter than my ultrastinger. I carry both at work because I use the 12pm as a force option. When I compare both, the ultrastinger is about 1/3 the brightness of the 12pm when using it at about 100 feet. the 12pm has a fuller light beam. I wouldn't use the 12pm all the time, only when I'm about to arrest someone and I need to blind them. The ultrastinger needs a tail end activation switch like the one you can get for the xl-20 and 35
smile.gif