{{ Stuff that just works }}

Owen

Absolutely. Those little Torx sets are probably the only tools I've ever skimped on, rather than getting what I wanted, as I didn't think it mattered much.
If I'd just bought a good set to begin with, I'd have been saved the hassle of making 4 trips, and that was just for the Husky sets. Before that were the Benchmade Blue Box sets, whose drivers were flimsy, too. The frustration that comes with each instance is what really makes it worthwhile, though. You think a disposable tool is ok when it saves you money, but if it's something that you'll actually use over time, buying quality always ends up being a bargain.

As the saying goes, "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Poppy

CPF Supporter
Owen, That IS a good quote "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

You reminded me of another product that just works!

Loctite

idleprocess

As the saying goes, "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

I used to know a guy who was legendary for his cheapness. His retort to that saying was "...then it wasn't cheap enough!"

Owen

Had to call on an old friend to help me make big pieces into little pieces today.
Paid for itself on a little demo job the week after I got it, and still good as new ~26yrs later.
Oero9WY.jpg

I have a bizarre relationship with this tool. I've abused it horribly, using it when a torch or chainsaw were really needed, running it until it was so hot I couldn't hold on to it, letting it cool off, then going again. But I've always set it down carefully, cleaned it after every use, and never allowed anyone else to touch, much less use, it. Never missed a beat on any job, big or small. If there was ever a power tool I'd say "just works", it's this one right here!

Never liked their circular saws(Makita!), but I was generally a big fan of Milwaukee's power tools from that era, and have several. Always wonder how the newer ones compare.
It looks kinda unwieldy in the pictures I saw, but I just found out there's an adapter for using the new li-ion 18V batteries on Milwaukee's older NiCad tools. Now I need to take my hammer drill and go look at the li-ions in person...

edit: Went by Home Depot this morning, and, uh...maybe there's no rush for li-ions just for my drill, especially since I don't have a charger for them, and just got 2 new NiCad ones last year:ironic:
KnbdJaz.jpg

I guess the little 3Ah ones would be enough for how little it gets used nowadays, though.

Last edited:

Poppy

CPF Supporter
Milwaukie made the name "Sawzall" what it is. I remember seeing an advertisement for it where they cut a train car in half with it. Undoubtedly there are times when nothing but a sawzall will do.

I have a black and decker that has seen it's turns around the block; like yours abused, but still wanting more.

AM-JKLWeolFCTtgauqlSs4RDSaDBq8688VgTULkj-8ix6h8NGoyWlkx9kdFWmU5tPB15LPC0br_k0qGmBjA0p0jw8O1uM6MmyqCyFlke5c-R4Ps_wP82hdaBAvRuxCGgrTmfLmMln5PadRAiWAS3mmAwmr5z=w1052-h789-no

I've most recently used mine to cut sod out of my front lawn.

LOL... the way I abuse that tool, I am sure that it is grateful that I don't use it too often :)

Lynx_Arc

I abused a Porter Cable 20v Reciprocating saw so much it wore the brushes out on it. I replaced it with a newer model it was better but ate the 4Ah battery I bought off ebay (knockoff) but recently I upgraded to a Dewalt 20v compact recip saw (brushless) and with a 3Ah battery (21700s) I munched off a branch as big as my arm and cut it up in 6 pieces and still had 2 bars left on the battery. My wrist was a little sore the next day. Recip saws are the bomb for sure but don't discount circular saws some things they can cut better than a recip saw because the cutting action is continuous not cutting mostly on the pull. I do have a wood cutting blade that cuts on push and pull but it does shake you more as it wants to push back on you on the cut.

Poppy

CPF Supporter
No doubt, Reciprocating saws can be hard on your joints, so one should be mindful to use the proper tool. It sounds like a chain saw should have been the tool of the day.

A chain saw has to be among the most dangerous tools on the planet!

Lynx_Arc

No doubt, Reciprocating saws can be hard on your joints, so one should be mindful to use the proper tool. It sounds like a chain saw should have been the tool of the day.

A chain saw has to be among the most dangerous tools on the planet!
For branches less than 2 inches think a 6.5 inch circular saw beats the pants off a chainsaw in ease of use. It is only when you start getting larger than that, that a chain saw comes into play as smaller limbs not attached to the tree are hard to handle using a chain saw but a circular saw has a lot less kickback, weighs less, is quieter and you can easily use it with one hand all day.

orbital

.. Now I need to take my hammer drill and go look at the li-ions in person...

edit: Went by Home Depot this morning, and, uh...maybe there's no rush for li-ions just for my drill, especially since I don't have a charger for them, and just got 2 new NiCad ones last year:ironic:
KnbdJaz.jpg

I guess the little 3Ah ones would be enough for how little it gets used nowadays, though.

+

Good choice on the Milwaukee CP3.0

21700s' in them,

only a bit wider & longer with decent runtime.

Chauncey Gardiner

CPF Supporter
For branches less than 2 inches think a 6.5 inch circular saw beats the pants off a chainsaw in ease of use. It is only when you start getting larger than that, that a chain saw comes into play as smaller limbs not attached to the tree are hard to handle using a chain saw but a circular saw has a lot less kickback, weighs less, is quieter and you can easily use it with one hand all day.
Yeah! That's going to come in handy sooner or later.

Lynx_Arc

+

Good choice on the Milwaukee CP3.0

21700s' in them,

only a bit wider & longer with decent runtime.

I have the Dewalt version and it works just as well as 2 layer 4Ah other brand batteries IMO. I didn't pay $99 for one got it off Ebay open box with a newer 2Ah battery and 4A charger for about $75 total. They make 3,4,6,6F,8,9F,10,12FAh 21700 batteries in Dewalt (F=Flexvolt 20V/60V), I have a pair of 8Ah that I got on clearance at Lowes they were selling leftover store displays I got an 8A battery and charger for $50 in dewalt bag and a hammer drill with 8A battery and charger and bag for $100.

Owen

Milwaukie made the name "Sawzall" what it is. I remember seeing an advertisement for it where they cut a train car in half with it.
Ha! Never saw that. Stole the pic off the web, but I used mine to cut one of these into pieces that'd fit into the bed of my truck. Heck of a job for a Sawzall.
eFyh8zI.jpg

Great memory. Ex-gf had a house on 3.5 acres the frame had been left on, overgrown with brush that had to be cleared to get at it. She was at work, and it was in the high 90s outside. I was pouring sweat, and had blood running down my arm when I saw her 13yr old daughter videoing me, and asked what she was doing.
"I want Mom to see how hard you're working for her." Loved that kid...

Owen

3M Filtrete 3US-AS01 undersink water filter.
I just left this review on Amazon:

"Rare for me to leave a review, but I'm here buying a replacement filter for the one in my home, and a new filter setup for my parents while I'm at it-though I did buy the 'Advanced' version for both this time around.
Quick, easy install. The filter greatly improves the taste of my tap water(tastes just like Dasani bottled water), and lasts so much longer than advertised that I'm reluctant to say how long I've been using this 6 month filter(way over 10x that), as it may be taken as a gross exaggeration.

I go through a lot of drinking water, buy a case of Dasani, whose bottles get reused multiple times, every few months, and refill a gallon jug that lives in my refrigerator every 2-3 days."

UeRRWN0.jpg

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
My work truck was really dusty. I clean, clean, cleaned it but the plastic looked dull and faded when done.
I sprayed on a product called 'black on black' by Chemical Guys from the car care section at Wal Mart and all plastics in the truck look brand new.

It has a shine like armor all if you leave it alone. Wipe areas down with a rag in the first few minutes after applying and you get a nice matte finish.

Another product by them called 'mat renew' got my dull/faded vinyl floor mats looking brand new. For about $20 my truck looked factory fresh on the inside and smelled like grape bubble gum for a day.

6-E6700-CC-BBFE-4-A0-C-B569-077-B10-C6-A602.jpg

orbital

My work truck was really dusty. I clean, clean, cleaned it but the plastic looked dull and faded when done.
I sprayed on a product called 'black on black' by Chemical Guys from the car care section at Wal Mart and all plastics in the truck look brand new.

It has a shine like armor all if you leave it alone. Wipe areas down with a rag in the first few minutes after applying and you get a nice matte finish.

Another product by them called 'mat renew' got my dull/faded vinyl floor mats looking brand new. For about $20 my truck looked factory fresh on the inside and smelled like grape bubble gum for a day.
+

My brother keeps his cars in showroom condition,, he uses Chemical Guys stuff

Poppy

CPF Supporter
Bug Spray!

Last year when we moved into this house, it was nearly impossible to sit in the yard comfortably, due to attacking mosquitos.

200.gif

I read that a cap full of water, can host 1,000 or so eggs/larvae. Therefore it is important to eliminate sources of stagnant water. The rain gutters were full of debris, moist leaves, mud, and creepy crawlers, so I cleaned them out. The air conditioner condensate puddled in one location, so I put a mosquito larvae killing puck in the puddle. I then sprayed the yard, and underside of the trees leaves, with a back yard bug control. The brand I used was a liquid concentrate and was applied by attaching it to a garden hose. It was very easy to use, and worked great! No mosquitos for the rest of the season.

200.gif

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
Don't know if they've made as far north as you are Poppy but the Korean tiger mosquito is said to be able to reproduce in a drop of water.

I do not know how far away they can sense prey but I've seen them flying about a 1/4 inch above my dad's concrete porch at least 10 feet from the edge, sneak a tastey bite from somebody's ankle and sneak back away undetected.
45E58479-E1C0-41B3-B493-491100628A29.jpeg
I use this stuff this year. Works well so far.