{{ Stuff that just works }}

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Having ventured into the office for the first time in almost 3 years well before any mandate is issued ... the 3.5mm stereo jack. Bluetooth bands are only going to become glitch-ier as more people show up with headsets and keyboards and mice.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 3.5mm stereo jack
aka 1/8th inch stereo connector, and, also,
1/8"/3.5mm balanced TRS. Tip. Ring. Sleeve.

Bluetooth audio fidelity is sufficient for phone calls, but I would not describe even the most recent Bluetooth version releases as high fidelity audio. It's still not quite even broadcast quality.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Folding Saw Silky. More precisely, its Chinese clone. They repeated the curve of the teeth line, the handle and the shape of the teeth. It cuts beautifully and for only $5. This was tested while renovating a friend's house, when suddenly an old saw from around the 50s broke in half and had to go to the store for a new saw. Then he came back and took 3 more pieces. Then I read on the Internet about the original and took 1 original, in case these deteriorate someday

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Bluetooth audio fidelity is sufficient for phone calls, but I would not describe even the most recent Bluetooth version releases as high fidelity audio. It's still not quite even broadcast quality.
There's a quality hit on music that I find acceptable - can detect it without A/B comparison but just so. The connectivity flakyness and other user experience quality-of-life compromises less so.

Duster1671

Enlightened

I recently bought a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sound. They're a huge step up from the (wired) Yuin PK1 they replaced and not that far off from my home setup that drives HD650s and DT880s.

I'm not sure what "high fidelity audio" and "broadcast quality" mean, specifically, but the XM4s make really excellent audio.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Since I only listen to music at home, Bluetooth has no utility for me. My HD600s have been working fine for over a decade now & I actually got them second hand back then. I'll see for how long my new amp will work.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what "high fidelity audio" and "broadcast quality" mean
Not everyone has ears that hear. Broadcast quality is easier to understand. It's the way stereo FM sounds. If you can't tell the difference between hearing Yes' Roundabout on the radio amplified as opposed to listening to it off 16bit 44.1kHz CD audio on decent speakers, then you'll probably not notice the difference between CD and 24bit 48kHz DVD audio, nor the difference between a 128kbit mp3 vs 320kbit mp3 or those compared to flac (actually, I can't tell the difference between 320kbit mp3 and flac).

Mostly the issues with audio fidelity are in the high end. Seems like audio accessory manufacturers are obsessed with low end, but nothing is defined in the low end. At a lower bit rates, cymbals sound not unlike glass breaking to me. It's the high end that gives audio definition. Too much high end, of course, is terrible, but as long as the high end has resolution, and there is some low end, everything will sound decent.

Try focusing on the cymbals with your wireless headset and compare to a CD being amplified in the room. If they sound like cymbals to you rather than fragile things breaking, you're lucky.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I recently bought a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sound. They're a huge step up from the (wired) Yuin PK1 they replaced and not that far off from my home setup that drives HD650s and DT880s.

I'm not sure what "high fidelity audio" and "broadcast quality" mean, specifically, but the XM4s make really excellent audio.
I have some nice Shure ear buds with option of bluetooth or cord. Yes the cord does sound a wee bit better. A set of $250 cords could sound even better but that really depends the medium of the broadcast and how acurate that is. So when I remove the cords and plug the transmitter in I know the sound will be pretty acurate. More inner ear monitor, than ear bud really. I'm sure the models David Bowie's band were more expensive but it is kinda cool to sport over the ear monitors that look like the ones his bass player wore.

I used some Bose that are pleasing even in less than good recordings or bluetooth broadcast radio. But Bose uses math tricks to cause them to sound nice. CD quality sound? No. I call them ear candy.

Now when the Bose gave me grief I tried the Sony you mention Duster. Once I figured out the best tips to use (large) I was impressed. Somewhere between the Bose and Shure for acuracy and soundstage pressence before tweaking with the app that keeps the changes chosen from device to device. Fairly acurate with a splash of pleasantry added. Well worth the coin in my view too.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used some Bose that are pleasing even in less than good recordings or bluetooth broadcast radio. But Bose uses math tricks to cause them to sound nice. CD quality sound? No. I call them ear candy.
Very astute. Bose sounds good, but Bose is not accurate. If you tried to mix a song using Bose as monitors, that song would only sound good on Bose. With monitors, you want accuracy, you want plain, you want something that is difficult to make sound good. That way when the track is reproduced elsewhere, either you'll know what it will sound like, or it will sound better than your monitors, or both.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Analog hardwired audio just works in general. It has none of the frailities of bluetooth audio, which like Idleprocess said is constantly competing with other wireless gadgets for bandwidth in the 2.4ghz band.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Having ventured into the office for the first time in almost 3 years well before any mandate is issued ... the 3.5mm stereo jack. Bluetooth bands are only going to become glitch-ier as more people show up with headsets and keyboards and mice.
No doubt corded gear is good for the office. When surrounded with office dwellers who bluetooth everything including their opinions, it can be pretty annoying trying to get your ear bud(s) to connect at all. I keep in my desk a "company" provided set of corded for listening to classes and some corded Klipsch for music.

The Hawk

Newly Enlightened
We had a set of vent free gas logs installed in our fireplace several years ago. We moved into another house and immediately had a set installed in the new house. They work extremely well and allow us to turn our thermostat down several degrees. Our rescue kitties like them as well.
20161128_191538.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
We had a set of vent free gas logs installed in our fireplace several years ago. We moved into another house and immediately had a set installed in the new house. They work extremely well and allow us to turn our thermostat down several degrees. Our rescue kitties like them as well.
Cats have a practical, working understanding of thermodynamics.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Not revolutionary in concept, but last week started putting general masking tape around my front/side/back door to keep drafts out.
Sure it sounds really hillbilly, but it takes 30 seconds to put on & 5 seconds to take off.

At $.02/ft = it'll cost me pennies on the dollar saved gas & electric for the rest of the season.

add: for years had beach towels at the base of the doors,, masking tape is new to the program

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
Being Wisconsin you could save a few cents and not take it off if you just stocked a couple thousand pounds of bratwurst, cheese and beer.
Don't go out till the grass starts growing. 😍

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being Wisconsin you could save a few cents and not take it off if you just stocked a couple thousand pounds of bratwurst, cheese and beer.
Don't go out till the grass starts growing. 😍
+

lol!!

Johnsonville Brats is maybe 15 minutes from me.
Can't remember the last time I had a brat,, eat cheese often though :D

Here we pronounce brat > braat

hsa

Enlightened
Try some Johnsonville "Hot Italian Sausage". It's great on the grill or in spaghetti sauce. Have a beer close by. Even a Milwauke's best if you can't get anything else. :)