Stupid Newb questions;-)

Trace Rinaldi

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF members. My name is Trace Rinaldi, I make custom knives, and love to mess with things in general. Having seen some of the very cool stuff that comes from guys that congregate here I decided to check it out. Im amazed at the incredible things I see here, but at the same time utterly confused.:confused: I would like to make a few small LED lights, but have no clue where to start with figuring out what bulb to use with what battery etc. What I am after is something real small along the lines of the little Arc lights, but much brighter;-)

Is there a making flashlights for idiots book or something? Where do you buy bulbs and what not? etc. Im sure you get plenty of dumbass posts like this but any help would be appreciated.

BTW to the guys that make and mod lights, we have a forum called Custom Knives and Guns. We LOVE seeing the cool stuff you all make and would welcome you all to come and share your work with us.
We have alot of knife and gun junkies that Im sure would be interested in buying the awesome creations I see here. Please feel free to post some of your work in our flashlight area, or even in the Custom area with the knives and guns.:thumbsup:

If this is in the wrong place to post this I apologize, also if inviting members to another forum is frowned upon please feel free to edit as seen fit.

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Take care
Trace Rinaldi
www.THRblades.com
www.CustomKnivesandGuns.com

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, the Welcome Mat is a great place to start reading up on info.

Well, the brightest AAA powered light that I know off is the Fenix L0D-CE Q4. Maybe buy one and go from there? 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

The Draco/Drake is also a good small and bright light to look at, though is is a bit costly.

:welcome:

Trace Rinaldi

Newly Enlightened
Thanks G12! I'll check out the Welcome mat. I would like to make something from scratch. I wanted to try some real small 1.5 V lith batts to get 3 volts or close to that, and put it to a small hi quality LED bulb. Any recomendation on a small bright LED bulb?

Take care
Trace Rinaldi
www.THRblades.com

meuge

Enlightened
Thanks G12! I'll check out the Welcome mat. I would like to make something from scratch. I wanted to try some real small 1.5 V lith batts to get 3 volts or close to that, and put it to a small hi quality LED bulb. Any recomendation on a small bright LED bulb?

Take care
Trace Rinaldi
www.THRblades.com
Most modern LEDs (Cree XR-E, SSC P4, and Luxeon Rebel) use an input voltage of ~3.2-3.7V, depending on both the LED and the drive current.

The LED's brightness is a function of current, and the brightness regulation is possible because of constant-current regulated circuits.

So the modern LED flashlight consists of these main parts:

1. Battery
2. Heatsink (modern LEDs generate heat that needs to be disposed of)
3. Driver (the circuit that provides the necessary voltage for the LED at a certain drive current). Some lights are driven directly off the batteries (with a resistor), but this eliminates current regulation, and causes the LED to dim over time, just like an incadescent bulb.
4. LED
5. Light management (reflector or optic).
6. Switch - most switches are either click switches, or simple twist switches.
7. Enclosure - the body of the light that contains the above parts.

I would recommend you pick up an inexpensive light, take it apart, and look for yourself.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The brightest single die LED out right now is the Cree XR-E R2 bin but I would recommend the Q5 bin because it is easier to get(heck, cheapest is $9 shipped) and the performance is only a tiny bit less. The Seoul P4 is also another good alternative. Similar in performance to the Cree XR-E Q2 bin except with a smoother beam(works better with a smooth reflector, cheapest source is $5.80 shipped). Be careful of the positive base of the Seoul LED.

Also, at the voltage you are looking at, you would need a boost driver to power the LED. They need 3.5-3.7v to run well.

Check here for bin codes.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm sure may of the experienced modders and makers would be glad to help you with any problems you have.

If you want a really cheap light to see how things work, I'd suggest the RC-G2(shipping would take two weeks to a month). From what I've heard, they are pretty easy to take apart and mod.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. For a start, spending some reading time would be in order. Information that you seek is abundant, I suggest that you start of with the sticky's where all the important bit of imformation is neatly linked. After a while you will get use to it and know where to go and ask the appropriate questions........in the meantime I'll check out your website.....

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trace,

Nice to see you over here! Maybe you can hook with some of the guys in the mod section to get you started. Is Mayo still stirring up trouble over on CK&G? I haven't been there for awhile.

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi Trace
Dittos to taking lights apart and seeing whats inside.
-Get a digital multi-meter to measure voltages of batteries, and current drains
so you get comfortable poking around in electronics.
- a soldering iron and a roll of solder to add/remove components.
note: a good source of spare resistors/led's is old phone answering machines.
- and of course Ohms Law: Voltage = Resistance X Current. With this
simple equation and your measurements its very satisfying to verify
the reality of the electricity flowing thru your light. Great fun!
hopkins

Trace Rinaldi

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help guys, you all rock! Now I will read and study on it. Already got some stuff ordered to tear apart, and mess with.
I got knife work that keeps me slammed, but I hope to find time to mess with some illuminating projects eventually.:D

BH yeah Mayo is always around and about.. But I make sure and keep him on his toes..HA!!:poke:He's fun to mess with.

Take care
Trace

Draven451

Enlightened
Hello CPF members. My name is Trace Rinaldi, I make custom knives, and love to mess with things in general. Having seen some of the very cool stuff that comes from guys that congregate here I decided to check it out. Im amazed at the incredible things I see here, but at the same time utterly confused.:confused:

Take care
Trace Rinaldi
www.THRblades.com

Hello Trace and :welcome:

There is alot of information on this site and I'm sure between all the stored threads and information and the members here who are generous with their knowledge you will find what your looking for.

I have seen your work before (and have admired your craftsmanship) - On another forum and I can't pinpoint it exactly right now but I know your website address sounds very familiar. The work you do with Damascus is incredible! :thumbsup: