Sub 30/50$ light for walking in rural areas/forests. Extra high mode a plus.

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_X_Less than $25.
_X_Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you got-
Preferably about under 30USD, but no problem with going up to 50 if you deem it neccessary
. It is a plus if the seller can mark the value at less than 30USD though. :p

3) Format:

_X_I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Pretty small, under 15cm. (That's 6inches for those of you not accustomed to a functional measurement system. ;)) The smaller the better if nothing else suffers?

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves. This would be fun! But not available at my budget I fear?

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_X_ I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. 18650.
_X_ I'd like to also use NiMh.
I have a slight preference towards NimH, but want longer runtime for the weight, and that's lithium, isn't it? Single cell, in that case.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

_X__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_X__I want ridiculous amounts of lumens

It's most important that it works well for evening walks in the forest and camping etc. But it would be awesome if it ALSO had a ridiculous amount of lumens, or at least an impressive amount of light at a special HIGH setting. Something that makes the friends drool and the women to... nvm. I'm male after all, and there IS a reason they market products towards us with "Super Ultra Stealth Fusion" as catchwords...

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_X_5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X_30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_X_50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

~30m is most important, if I have to choose.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
_X_90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
_x_3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

I think I would like three modes. One pretty bright for walking that lasts 90-120 minutes, one low for finding matches etc. that is availible for backup. Again, with my bydget, I'm happy with only the top option.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_X_Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X_Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

In my experience, the build quality my Ultrafire C3 would be more than sufficient for my needs if only the rubber clicker didn't fall of all the time. I want to be able to use it in the rain, but I have no plans for diving 10m down with it...

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
_X_I don't know.
I'd prefer to be the mode setting (if a three mode light) was not on the clicky switch. Ie. one switch for gain setting, and one tail cap clicky maybe? No must-have though.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_X_A simple on-off with only one output level is OK for me, but makes me sad.
_X_I want 2 or 3 light levels. Low, long lasting, and the other bright enough for walks (see distance above). A third ridiculous mode would be fun. (Note: my standards for "ridiculous" are probably MUCH lower than yours...)
_X_I want a selector ring. (nice to have, need it not.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_X_Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
_X_I don't care, as long as it isn't plastic or too heavy. prefer alu, probably
_X_I don't know.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

As much value for money as possible! Still, I think I'd maybe likie to have a self-build with pre-made components, if available for the price.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the more common lights the Olight S20 comes to mind. Around the $50 mark. Some complaints of green tint on the lower two levels. Superb IC...low power warning...great run time on the 100 lumen setting. A very nice light for the money I believe...

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that seems like a nice light! 55USD was a bit more than I was looking at though, so the missus will be a bit mad. But she doesn't need to know. :p

I'm guessing self-builds are out of the question at this price range?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite TN11 is being sold for $55 if you know where to look.

Shiningbeam Blaze is less than $50.

MG P-Rocket is a good candidate, as well, at around $40.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Rayovac Indestructible 3C

$25 @ any Home Depot

High Mode 145 Lumens 38 Hrs runtime
Low Mode 38 Lumens 85 Hrs runtime

Nice hotspot for throw and fairly wide and very uniform spill.

Water resistant, 30 foot drop guarantee/tested.

If you dont like it, take it back, liberal return policy.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Crelant 7G6CS and 7G3CS are ~ your budget, and very good performers. Lots of light, the latest XM L2 U3 LEDs, etc, - infinitely adjustable (Not just hi-med-lo, you can ramp them up/down to whatever brightness you want), IPX8 rated for water, regulated for output/protection, etc....very nice lights for the money.

We get a CFP discount on these from MD-Lightsource, so, that's probably the cheapest place to get them. If you go to the CPF Marketplace you can order directly from this site, and/or ask questions/get answers, etc. The owner is a member here, and takes care of us. :D

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
Can't you guys just agree on a light? I hade more than enough options from before! :p

(Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions.)

I'm wanting more and more a base with easily acessible upgrades though, the more I read. Possibility for an extension for an extra 18650, upgrade emitter/driver etc. Is there any intro-kits for this that are not too far $50? I solarforce any good?

Last edited:

mr_matt

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you're looking for a P60 flashlight to me!
I've been looking at the Solarforce hosts and they seem to get good reviews, great build quality and all, and they're only $12-25, 35 (depending on model), and then if you want extras (holster, clip, bezel) they're about $5 each. There's a big variety of drop ins as well, also ranging from $10-70 or so, but if you're inclined you can make your own with the latest LEDs, pick your reflector, best driver for around $10-15 (you'll just need a little soldering skill). So all together you're looking at maybe $25-30 if you get just a basic host and drop in.

Great thing about the P60 is that you can switch out parts, emitters, etc relatively cheaply when you want. One of the marks against them is that they aren't as good at dissipating heat since the reflector and LED isn't screwed directly to the flashlight body.

ps. my Solarforce L2T comes in today so maybe I'm just projecting my excitement about my next project:)

Last edited:

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
Excitement is always good. Crelant 7G3CS seems really sweet, though. What kind of compability does solarforce provides between modules and functions (different modes etc)? Will you run into "This module only fit this host, and doesn't work with this side switch"-problems? I really liked the "step-less" infinetly variable funtion of the Crelant 7G3CS.

awenta

Enlightened
You should go check out CPF market place. There is currently a 6P with a nailbender drop in for 55$. There is also a Quark Turbo for 40. Take a look around, a lot of good things to be had.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I have a lot of lights and for your needs i would definitely suggest a solarforce p60 lights, great quality for cheap price. you could also order spare parts like switch, lens, or even accesories like steel bezel and clip.

mr_matt

Newly Enlightened
Excitement is always good. Crelant 7G3CS seems really sweet, though. What kind of compability does solarforce provides between modules and functions (different modes etc)? Will you run into "This module only fit this host, and doesn't work with this side switch"-problems? I really liked the "step-less" infinetly variable funtion of the Crelant 7G3CS.

I think all of the bezels, heads, bodies, and tailcap/switches are interchangeable on all of the models, there's a thread here I've seen with pictures of how people have configured their head/bodies/tailcap/emitter. But you are going to be limited by the basic function of the light, they only have a tailcap switch with either a forward activation switch or a reverse switch. They don't have any with side switches, head loosen/tighten modes or anything. Modes are changed by turning the light off and on again quickly (half pressing the switch, release, half press again). The reason I'm drawn to it is that you can change out the drop in whenever something new comes out, or even build your own and program which modes you want, all for around $10 per drop in to build. It's very flexible so I won't spend a small fortune buying multiple flashlights if I want a different beam or runtime.
That being said, I like the looks of Crelants as well, they already have the latest emitters and are switching to a better anodizing but are still cheaper than most other brands. But I don't have any so I can't say about their build quality.

Last edited:

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't find it after some searches. Link? Get's tiresome with the the "enter captcha three times for every search because you have less than three posts and the re-captcha-captchas are ever increasing in illegibility". :p Think I'll want a new light this time though.

Thanks for lots of info, mr_matt. Could anyone tell me if I should get the black L2p because of the "Special coating to the electrical conducting surface for enhanced conductivity and anti-erosion ability"? Is it significanlty enough not go for another color option? Kind of drooling over the gunmetal one now.

So anyway:
Body: L2p (of some color)
Clip: L2-PC2 (The only option from SOlarforce, and nice to have. But maybe other options fit and are better?)
Tail clicky: L2-S6 (Tail stand is handy)
"bulb": LC-XML Three mode, maybe? Seems like it has a prettty "hot" hot spot here, but difficult to say how that translates at distancec of 3-10m though. But hey, it's 22USD. might as well buy another if it isn't perfect, right?

Seems like I'll "have" to go for black if all the different end capsand heads are black only, if I want a matching setup though. Anyone want's to recommend a good euro-dealer with nice prices for cpf members, or should I just get it of the 'bay?

Oh, and thanks again. I like this forum.

edit: besides from batteries, is there anything else I need to get a working light? Would be nice not to miss a crucial part. :p

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your going to run li-ions, need a charger and multimeter for the batteries. Though, they will more than pay for themselves over time.

I'd also peruse the cpfm (the marketplace), its a separate cpf forum, same folks, needs another registration though, but lots for sale there. As well as the custom market section on this forum.

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
I have charger(s), multimeter etc. also.

I've finally managed three posts on cpfm, so now it's actually possible to search it without going mad. Saw a very temppting three led drop in there, but think I'll wait a bit to spend $79 on one. Lighthound.com seems to have nice prices, but the specs doesn't add up to the solarforce equalients on the solarforce site, and they didn't carry all of them either.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
VinhNyugen makes a great XML dropin, older XML are $25 I think? And the new XML2 is $35-45 depending on modes and amperage ;)
That with a Solarforce L2N for $12.99 ish on there main site and your just about on budget

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
You're speaking in codes. :p If it doesn't show up in google with relevant keywords, you need to post a link. I don't have >2k posts and 2.5 years here yet. ;)

mr_matt

Newly Enlightened
Here's the two threads I saw (lots of pics)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?228693-Show-your-Solarforce
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?329913-Show-your-Solarforce-Part-II

My L2T came in and I love it, quality is great. The machining is very very good, I had a little trouble screwing on the new stainless steel bezel but I think that's because of the small/limited number of threads (put a little silicon grease on it and screwed on fine), coating is a matte black and I haven't found any holes or flaws yet.

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
I have lokked at some of the picks in that thread. Half om them are WEAPONS, not flashlights. Would get arrested here with one of those. :duh2: Klingon batterin rams ftw. :p

The thread has already made me decide that i definetly NEED tritium inserts, glow powder and GID o-rings though...