• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestion for bringing new life to the PD mechanism

dcjs

Newly Enlightened
OK, here's a thought I've been entertaining for quite some time.

The good old PD is still the king of UIs for me. Push lightly for low light, push hard for bright light. High output is also available when low is acticated by twisting the head in the same way, just push the piston or twist the head further. No clicking procedures, no computerized bullshit, no misfires. It's the Glock of flashlights. I've been running an aluminum PD-S for years as my EDC and it'd be hard for me to tolerate any other UI. But Don has stated repeatedly that he feels that at least three levels is necessary to take advantage of the new high-output emitters, and the currently available lights reflect that. The PD is only two-speed, so it seems that the beautifully simple mechanical system without rubber boots and plasticky clickies is headed for obsolence. It doesn't have to be that way.

Invention disclosure :naughty:: I suggest a PD mechanism with a three-speed driver, where light taps to the piston (making contact between the piston and the "kilroy" switch only) allow to switch between low and med stages (e.g. one-second off-on sequence switches levels), while a full push of the piston (making contact between the piston and the ring on the PCB) activates the high output. That way two (or more) output levels are available just like with conventional clickie interfaces by twisting or pushing in a timed sequence, but an additional maximum output level is directly available at all times, whether the light is off or in momentary or constant-on mode in one of the lower levels. Now you have three (or more) output levels, while preserving the main benefits of the PD mechanism. The need for a timed off-on-sequence is confined to the low and medium levels where errors (selecting the wrong level) are not as crucial, while the high "emergency" level is always directly available.

I realize that this would require a new driver configuration, but it would be the UI, so it might be worth the trouble. :shrug:

PS: If this has already been considered and dismissed for some obvious reason I've failed to think of, I'll crawl back under my rock and pretend that nothing happened.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we can't get more LunaSols, why not some kind of joint venture with Malkoff? A PD body for the M-series modules would be pretty awesome-sauce; they have titanium VME heads specifically for those people who want to run a McClicky and an M60 together in style. I'd like to be able to drop my M60 into a VME head, and attach that to a PD body.

If it can handle MASSIVE GOBS OF CURRENT on high, that'd be better still - I have a Malkoff P7 prototype that's in dire need of a host.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
PD UI is still king for me as well, and I do not accept the idea that it is headed for obsolescence! Why would two levels of light suddenly not be enough? My eyes aren't changing. My lighting needs haven't changed. For my EDC, I can't imagine anything better than a PD UI. Just my two cents. YMMV.

fyrstormer

Banned
I think the move to 3 or more modes has more to do with making the most of the currently-available emitters and cells without rendering the light useless in situations where neither "blindingly bright" nor "firefly mode" is appropriate.

To that end, I have a design for a continuously-variable Aleph-compatible pill, but I have no resources at my disposal to get the parts or the driver built.