Suggestion for my new - old M*g85

daBear

daBear

Enlightened
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
250
Location
Chigger Branch, MS
I am defecting from the Led modding for a while and have built my first m*g85. I had a 20 year old 3D mag laying around which had previously been left to rot. Several years ago I found the light which had been left with leaking cells in it and it was a real mess. I pried the cells out and soaked it in WD40 for days and got it running with the original bulb then put it back in the closet.

Fast forward a couple of years and I discovered this forum and modding. I have made several Tri and Quad LuxIII and Lux5 lights with success and really like the results. I have ventured into the Incan realm now and have my first M*g85.

I am using 9AA with Modamag's adapter, but I am about to step up to 9 150s batts with fivemega's adapter. I am using fivemega's cammed LOP reflector and a WA 1185 of course. The light is bright and beats the led lights after fivemega helped me get rid of a dead spot. However, I think the switch and the GP2000 NiMH batts are holding the output back. Any suggestions, like putting it into a new host or some mod to the oem switch?

Thanks
 
Trashman

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
3,544
Location
Covina, California
daBear said:
I am using 9AA with Modamag's adapter, but I am about to step up to 9 150s batts with fivemega's adapter.

Thanks

I'm not sure if you're buying one of fivemega's modified Mag 85's, or not, but if you're planning to use your old 3D, you should know that fivemega has bored the body to fit the Pila's, and he has bored the tail cap so the spring sits at the bottom of the cap (to make more room for the adapters).
 
daBear

daBear

Enlightened
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
250
Location
Chigger Branch, MS
Trashman said:
I'm not sure if you're buying one of fivemega's modified Mag 85's, or not, but if you're planning to use your old 3D, you should know that fivemega has bored the body to fit the Pila's, and he has bored the tail cap so the spring sits at the bottom of the cap (to make more room for the adapters).

I am using the adapters sold by 5M. I can bore the body and make the tail cap mod myself. I kind of like having this old beat up light around and pulling it out at a campground. When it lights up the world and someone says what the heck is that. Just sit back and say it's a new bulb from Wally World that's kinda hard to find but if you ask them loud enough they will come up with something.
 
Trashman

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
3,544
Location
Covina, California
Gotcha! Just making sure you were getting the adapters in the mail or planning on getting them, only to find out that something doesn't seem to want to fit!
 
A

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,281
Location
Atlanta, Ga.
daBear said:
I am defecting from the Led modding for a while and have built my first m*g85. I had a 20 year old 3D mag laying around which had previously been left to rot. Several years ago I found the light which had been left with leaking cells in it and it was a real mess. I pried the cells out and soaked it in WD40 for days and got it running with the original bulb then put it back in the closet.

Fast forward a couple of years and I discovered this forum and modding. I have made several Tri and Quad LuxIII and Lux5 lights with success and really like the results. I have ventured into the Incan realm now and have my first M*g85.

I am using 9AA with Modamag's adapter, but I am about to step up to 9 150s batts with fivemega's adapter. I am using fivemega's cammed LOP reflector and a WA 1185 of course. The light is bright and beats the led lights after fivemega helped me get rid of a dead spot. However, I think the switch and the GP2000 NiMH batts are holding the output back. Any suggestions, like putting it into a new host or some mod to the oem switch?

Thanks

Nimh batteries seem to have a lot of voltage sag under high load. The only ones that really dont and can take a LOT of current are the CBP1650's. If you feel that the batteries are your problem, these will fix it.
 
Icebreak

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Messages
4,998
Location
by the river
GP2000 NiMH batts are A batts but your light is 9 AA. I'm not understanding something.
 
andrewwynn

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
3,763
Location
Racine, WI USA
mod to the OEM switch reduces the resistance to 1/6th: http://prfix.rouse.com

(be careful.. with LiON x9 17500.. it is easy to blow an 1185.. the resistance actually saves the bulb.)

with 9x17500 i can get about 1360 bulb lumen (compared to 1200) for a good 8-10 minutes with fresh batteries.. and maybe 45-50 minutes or more of runtime from my 2.5D host.

-awr
 

Similar threads

cd-card-biz
Replies
12
Views
2K
LuxLuthor
LuxLuthor
SJACKAL
Replies
15
Views
1K
SJACKAL
SJACKAL
S
Replies
2
Views
773
DM51
C
Replies
3
Views
930
Colorado Fatboy
C
Top