Suggestions for a pocket light with "throw"

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
Alright - disregard my "quality" question...sounds like I was about ready to start dancing with the Black Widow and didn't know it.:oops:
In all seriousness, what size range counts as "pocket light" for you? Some would say 1xAAA, others 1xAA... some 1x16340... and even others might say 2xAA! How big are you willing to go to get throw?

Most likely I will be wearing a pair of standard jeans or cargo pants. I don't wear the gangsta pants that are 5 sizes too big, so I'm not going to be pocketing a 1' flashlight:duh2:. My NiteCore D10 is my EDC right now, that thing will fit in a shirt pocket :thumbsup: I'd like this light to stay 5" or under. Looks like this thread has produced numerous options that fit the bill.

What battery are you running the D10 on? Yes, battery choice can have a very big impact on output.

Yeah - I have a Energizer AA LR6-AM3-1.5V battery. Have no idea what that means. Just a standard AA - nothing special. I do have a bunch of Duracell Power Pix AA batteries that are supposed to work well with my digital camera. Any idea if these will work in my NitCore D10 without causing a problem? The package says "NIOX Technology". :shrug:

The good news is that there are so many great choices. The bad news is it's hard to choose. I know some of you freaks out there will just suggest that I buy several or all of them...but I'm married to a wonderful woman who is very involved in the finances :ironic:. Not gonna happen. Have to chose one at this point and make it a bullseye:) Thanks for all the great info. I have a lot of research to do:sick2:

You didn't mention if you have a price range limit in mind for your new EDC; neither did you state apreference for cool, neutral, or warm tint. Nevertheless, assuming that you might want to research some easily pocketable and cost-effective lights, may I suggest you review the Fenix P1D-Q5 (1x123 twisty, not much bigger than the power cell); 4Seven's Quark 2x123 (small size, light weight, neutral white - excellent for outdoor use, especially in woodland environments); the EagleTac P100C2; and the Fenix P3D-CE (and its newer siblings). One final thing to keep in mind, is that regardless of which you choose, you'll eventually acquire one or more of the others. (It's in the CPF bylaws, if I'm not mistaken...)

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
You didn't mention if you have a price range limit in mind for your new EDC

I'd say $200 or less...the original light I was considering at the begining of this post was the SF LX2.

neither did you state apreference for cool, neutral, or warm tint.

Too ignorant to know the difference...more research:shakehead

...neutral white - excellent for outdoor use

I'm here in WA State. Lots of trees and pretty dark through the winter. I'd like this light to be a good outdoor light. Based on your note above I'm guessing you'd suggest neutral white for a light of this purpose..?

One final thing to keep in mind, is that regardless of which you choose, you'll eventually acquire one or more of the others. (It's in the CPF bylaws, if I'm not mistaken...)

Yeah, I think that's in the fine print. :crazy:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
enough throw?

DSC05499.jpg

:D

Crenshaw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The D10 would be the brightest with a Li-ion 14500 battery (3.7v). Alkaline batteries like the one you are using can't give good light on the higher output levels because alkaline batteries dislike high current draw and will sag in voltage and loose capacity under those circumstances. Rechargeable batteries will fare better.

The lights with a lens will throw the furthest, but they have no spill and are almost always cool white. A reflector light that throws very far would need a larger reflector which might not be as pocket-able. A light with an optic can give a throwy beam and some spill.

How far do you need it to throw?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
To re-iterate my recommendation visually. ;)

3lights.jpg

Left to right: E2DL, Jet-I Pro v3.0 and D10 R2

maxr.jpg

Running at max, all lights using rechargeable li-ions.

2exposurev.jpg

Exposure at -2.

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Zeruel - the photos are great. I'd say your NiteCore is performing at a higher level than mine which is good to know. I'll have to put a Li-ion 14500 battery in the thing like Gunner12 suggested. The SF is a handful. The E2DL is about the same size as the LX2 correct? That Jet-I Pro looks about perfect...

enough throw?

Yeah, but what does the photo represent Crenshaw? Is it the the RC-C6 from Romisen?

How far do you need it to throw?

In all honesty I'm not really thinking of a specific need. I'm the kind of guy who likes to walk out the door prepared with the .45, but sometimes circumstance dictates that I just head out with the .38...I just hope I never need the .45 when all I got is the .38. I'd like this light to be like my .45 - concealable, full of power, and able to handle most (flashlight related) situations. (Not sure if that analogy works)

I appreciate everyone's patience educating me with the basics. I'm going to keep lurking in the related threads until I'm educated enough to make an informed decision. :poke: