• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestions for HDS Part Deux...

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's what Hogo just said. Not the 18350 though because it's shorter - you will have to use a spacer to be able to use an 18350.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be great to have a voltage reading mode so as to estimate one's battery life. Alternatively, maybe someone could help me learn how to read the step down. I.e. it happens at X voltage, which means you have Y percent battery left.

I tested an HDS by running down a LiIon battery and taking battery measurements at various steps..

the simple answer is that when your HDS starts to step down, change the battery

here is the basic info
When the HDS first started stepping down, the battery tested at 3.39v (it rebounded to 3.42v within ~10 seconds).

As a rule of thumb a LiIon is half empty at 3.6v, but it is good for that type of battery to NOT be drained fully. Better to recharge at half empty, or before the light goes below 3v. The HDS will actually turn itself off at that voltage.

you can read the complete test here

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of bicycle lights...since the Clicky will eventually go away, may I suggest the next Bicycle Light have a variable speed strobe setting which utilizes the rotary dial to adjust the speed?

Good offer, moved here.

I thought a little, you can expand it, if, of course, the processor and memory can cope - if in the future Rotary his 4 modes remain that work as they do now, that is, in any of the 4 modes, it will be possible to rotate the dial with 24 levels. Then you can make 1 more mode in the available range of brightness levels "rotation for cyclist and diver". In the last sentence, I meant to put this type of rotation in the selection row in "brightness preset" (point 13 in the Rotary instructions) after a preset that selects the rotation at the selected level ABCD

Exist a very good flashlight Glo-toob, but now it was spoiled by simplification and reduction in price, it had such functions:

Glo-Toob-Lithium-Mode.jpg

My friend loves to swim at night with a mask and an underwater crossbow and catch fish for his family in our murky waters. The river is completely unlit and you can easily lose your orientation in space and swim for several hours to the wrong bank and in the wrong direction. The sky is very seldom clear and the internet works very poorly. My friend took this flashlight and hung it on a tree or his boat, including double flashes, it is very noticeable at night and cannot be confused with the lights from remote settlements or other boat.

That is, if you create a mode for the rotary switch and place on it so many modes that it is divisible by 24 without a remainder - 24, 12, 8, 6, 4.

Here's an example, divided by 12

There are constant levels on the 1 and last position so that you can always switch (can just put the maximum on 1 and the last position)

That is, all possible flashers that can be useful will occupy only 1 level and are selected by rotation, the remaining 3 can be configured for more ordinary things

HDS-suggestion-Cycle-mode.png

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recommendations are:
  1. Make a setting that will let the triple-click level be triggered from off with a long press. This would allow for the light to: 1) turn on at primary 2) turn on at hight (click-press level) or 3) turn on at moonlight (triple-click level)
  2. Make boost the highest possible that the light can hold for 40 seconds before stepping down to level 23.
  3. 18350 support without stopping the use of regular CR123.
  4. Find a way to attach a sexy pocket clip.
One more that I thought was an awesome idea… back before the Rotary came out, when Henry teased it, PSM guessed that the levels would change via the tailcap with a UI that would work to adjust the brightness the way the iPod's UI did to change volume or make selections etc.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to bring back the ultra efficiency of the early pre-novatac HDS drivers on low levels, then utilize a fet for the highest output setting? Or any chance of a pocket rocket fet/DD high mode in general? A cree xp-p/osram cslnm1.tg pocket thrower would be welcome back, like the old HDS "Ra" era golden dragons, imo, especially with the RB turbohead.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with a Zebra and thought that the controls are very similar to the HDS, also 3 main levels but additional level for each, total 6 levels.

If think about it, this system can be thought of as 3 wheels, inside each wheel the choice of level comes with 2, 3 or 2 clicks with a hold. It can be extended for a very long time, as long as the driver's capabilities allow.and when moving from wheel to wheel, the last memorized mode is activated (as the transition from level A to level C is not possible if level B was turned on before).

1659816591077.png

It would be interesting to make 3 clicks not 1 mode D, but 4 modes - D1 D2 D3 D4. And switching between them is also 3 clicks, they will switch in a circle. Then it will be possible to make 3 necessary lunar modes))) or make mode D1 on level 1, D2 on level 8, D3 on a stroboscope, D4 something else, maybe fast double flashes, not as fast as a strobe. This is a great way to hide them so as not to get into programming, as well as clicks from the off position, as suggested above.

i.e. the clicks replace the physical turning of the wheel if the lantern had be 3 turning dials with memory.

Henry is a genius. Could he make more levels D's in 3 clicks?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with a Zebra and thought that the controls are very similar to the HDS, also 3 main levels but additional level for each, total 6 levels.

If think about it, this system can be thought of as 3 wheels, inside each wheel the choice of level comes with 2, 3 or 2 clicks with a hold. It can be extended for a very long time, as long as the driver's capabilities allow.and when moving from wheel to wheel, the last memorized mode is activated (as the transition from level A to level C is not possible if level B was turned on before).

View attachment 30605

It would be interesting to make 3 clicks not 1 mode D, but 4 modes - D1 D2 D3 D4. And switching between them is also 3 clicks, they will switch in a circle. Then it will be possible to make 3 necessary lunar modes))) or make mode D1 on level 1, D2 on level 8, D3 on a stroboscope, D4 something else, maybe fast double flashes, not as fast as a strobe. This is a great way to hide them so as not to get into programming, as well as clicks from the off position, as suggested above.

i.e. the clicks replace the physical turning of the wheel if the lantern had be 3 turning dials with memory.

Henry is a genius. Could he make more levels D's in 3 clicks?
I'm sure he could... but I might get strangled bringing it up to him. His first question would be "why?"
The Rotary sort of negates the need unless one needs access to all the various strobes. The Clicky is going the way of the Dodo, so he won't bother spending any time on that.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to order my titanium dodo.
:)
Titanium Dodos were available 10 years - or even a few years more - ago. The Dodo is the left one in the picture, all right ones were showing respect and are rotaries!

The Picture Shows a Titanium Dodo that meets a Titanium, Bare Al, Brass and Bronze Rotary.

But a Titanium Clicky from a final Dodo run would be cool. The numbering should be than also "Dodo #xx" instead of "Titanium #xx". That would be at least my sense of Humor.

---
Edit typos

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure he could... but I might get strangled bringing it up to him. His first question would be "why?"
The Rotary sort of negates the need unless one needs access to all the various strobes. The Clicky is going the way of the Dodo, so he won't bother spending any time on that.
I saw your picture from Japan, you have a strong neck, I think even Henry would be difficult to do

I just think of Rotary as a Clicky that has a rotator hung on it. By default, I see that there are also all 4 presets
1659897479329.png

Usually I leave the Rotary on preset B, C some fixed average level that I often use (level 10-16), on D I put a strobe or pulsating.
If there are more presets, then it will be possible to put the more variants, so as not to get into programming if something is needed. For example

1659898312590.png

And if it was possible to install a tactical interface on one of the presets, it would be great, but it seems that somewhere it was written that in the new lantern, perhaps this will be done or did I mess up something?