Suggestions Please: Pastel Colored Light for Niece Going to College ?

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone - My niece is graduating from h.s. and headed to college next fall. One of the gifts I'd like to get for her is a decent flashlight. Of course, it will be for general use - but (as her uncle) I'd also like it to perhaps help if needed in a self defense situation. Something as bright as possible would be good.
In terms of size, I'm thinking a 1xAA light would be about right. She can clip that to a backpack or carry in her purse or in a jacket/sweater pocket. Realistically, she'll likely be using lithium primaries. (I'll warn her away from alkalines, which can leak.) Perhaps I'll also look into getting her some Eneloops and a charger for it.
I'll go with 'basic black' if that's all I can find, but she likes 'pastel colors' - which I found out are light colors such as light pink, baby blue, etc.

The only light that I've found which fits the color requirement is the L3 Illumination L10. But I would think an external switch would be better than a twisty for quickly temporarily blinding a bad guy. Also the L10 starts out in low and must be tightened and loosened to access the higher levels. Its 120 lumen rating is less than I would like for this light.

Any ideas guys ? All I came up with so far is the L10 in colors, and the Olight S15 - but the Olight is black. Ultimately function and capability is more important than color, but I would like to get one in color for her if theyre out there. In any case I bet the combined CPF members will let me know if this kind of colored bodied light is out there, or not. That can save time searching. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
This is one where I really, really wish I had some good suggestions.

FOR ANY MAKER OF DEFENSIVE LIGHTS THAT READS THIS:

I really, really wish that you would stop catering solely to the "tacticool" crowd and start making some lights that address some real needs. The need expressed above, a light that a lady will want to carry, is a real one that is felt by about 50% of the population. Not everyone wants aggressive crenelations and the word "defender" or "fighter" calling attention to one of the purposes of their lights, and it is not just the ladies that feel this way. Such things do nothing to enhance a professional image in an office environment. Doing away with the crenelations in favor of a solid shroud would greatly enhance the usefulness of the lights.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
I'm with you Bill ! :thumbsup:

One reason for this - in addition to the reasons you mentioned - is all the various types of gear I've lost (especially up in the mountains) that were black or camo colored. And even when around the house or in town, finding a black flashlight in a bag (or wherever) isn't the easiest thing. (Of course, women use purses and they often put all their stuff in there. Might help to make the light more easily spotted.) I personally prefer a grey colored flashlight, if it meets my other requirements. And up in the woods if dropped on the ground, a bright metallic blue like offered by Maglite, sure shows up on the ground among the natural growth - even in the autumn when the leaves have fallen.

After watching this thread for a couple days, it looks like I didn't miss anything in my searches and that I'll likely have to go with a black 1xAA light for my niece. Thanks for your comments

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Consider a 47s Preon variant- I think the penlight is really cool, comes in colors, and being a pen like object, is something a college kid MIGHT be willing to carry and even use. A smaller form factor option is the little P1- a 1xAAA variant.

Honestly, IMO, something for her keychain is most likely to get carried and used. Anything bigger, more complex, or in ANY way a hassle to use will end up in the bottom of a drawer, book-bag, or purse. That L10 might be juse about perfect, even if it is AA sized.

Keep it simple. Unless she's a rather unusual young woman, she's probably got little interest in flashlights.

And as a tool to protect herself with? Self defense is really a 98% software, 2% hardware solution. Teach her to maintain situational awareness, use common sense at all times, and don't get drunk around people she doesn't know or absolutely trust.

Good on you for keeping an eye out for her!

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
dss 777 - thank you ! I'll check those lights out that you mentioned.
I appreciate your suggestions.

WyomingWyld

Newly Enlightened
DSS_777 has a great point about the keychain... I bought my sister a couple lights for her birthday because she spends some extra time around campus in the evenings. One was a little larger, although still what I would consider an EDC light, the Maglite XL200... great light and I liked that she could quickly change to a strobe feature (for some sort of self defense so to speak) Unfortunately she quickly lost this light (probably threw it in that bottomless purse) It doesn't have anywhere to attach to a lanyard or clip.
the other light I got her went on her keychain, the maglight solitaire. it's not great, low output, not good for much other than finding keys, close reading, etc but nonetheless, she still has it.
I should also mention, the XL200 LED runs on 3 AAA batteries.

TheVat26

Enlightened
OP, think you're on the right track with the 1AA option. I've tried and tried to get my wife to carry a light, and it remains at the bottom of the purse as others have mentioned. Finally I got her a little Olight i3. It's a head twisty with 80 lumens out of a 1 AAA. Starts on medium, then another twist to high. Not ideal, but better than nothing. On her keychain and she uses it a lot. I'd say start with the 1AA, as she'll likely use it a lot as well. Maybe she'll upgrade to something more powerful on her own once she sees its value. Most of us have had to work our way slowly into flashlights. I've found it's hard for new users to "see" the light at a level cpf's are used to.

Get her a single mode to start. Or just go all out and get a Streamlight Pro Tac HL in pink and own the night!

kst

Newly Enlightened
Here's another choice of 5 colors from Solarforce:

The 120 lumen Z2 (1AA) or the 240 lumen Z1 (1 CR123A only - no rechargables). Both are four mode ( H > Moonlight ) forward clicky wf pocket clip.

@ solarforceflashlight-sales.com (odd $2 shipping..I think for tracking)

Hard to resist for $17. The 5 pack brings it down to $16 per and you get to keep the grey or switch heads around for unique two tone lights.

Also in 5 colors, the twisties Thrunite Ti and newer Ti2 in 1AAA format.

Best place for Eneloops wf charger @ Costco. Last sale noticed was $20 package deal wf 8AA, 4AAA and charger.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your niece isn't a flashaholic, she is highly unlikely to learn a complicated UI.

I suggest the Thrunite TiS flashlight. It runs (at the moment) for $8 on Amazon. Output is 60ish lumens for roughly an hour.

1. It's a cheap light.
2. It seems reasonably durable - I have one and haven't broken it yet.
3. It runs on AAA batts - easy enough to find and replace.
4. Small enough she can keep on her key ring - meaning she's more likely to keep it nearby.
5. Bright enough to walk a trail, or check out dark corners from five to 10 feet away, depending on ambient lighting.
6. Single mode twisty - easy to operate, easy to remember, and durable.

For that matter, I suggest you buy one for yourself, play with it - take it out at night and see how it performs. It's, basically, an $8 gamble - you get to test it for yourself and see how it performs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately, there aren't many AA model lights that fall into the same performance category as the TiS.
1. The *old* Fenix E11 would have been an excellent choice, but it's been discontinued.
2. The Energizer AA "tactical" light is another possibility, but the flashlight looks tacti-cool and menacing, which means a young woman probably wouldn't want to carry it.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all your thought provoking suggestions. I might get my niece two lights. One for her keychain, as has been suggested, - because she's likely to always have it with her. And another more powerful/brighter light that she can still carry in her backpack for when on campus, or in her purse.

As a guy, and a flashaholic - I really don't know how a young lady would tend to use a flashlight day-to-day over the long term. (I've actually heard that most people don't carry more than one light on them and most have never even heard of a '18650' :laughing: ) This way she'll have a couple options, but a light always available when she needs it. Added bonus: maybe it'll plant the seeds for future flashaholism in her.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Thanks guys for all your thought provoking suggestions. I might get my niece two lights. One for her keychain, as has been suggested, - because she's likely to always have it with her. And another more powerful/brighter light that she can still carry in her backpack for when on campus, or in her purse.

As a guy, and a flashaholic - I really don't know how a young lady would tend to use a flashlight day-to-day over the long term. (I've actually heard that most people don't carry more than one light on them and most have never even heard of a '18650' :laughing: ) This way she'll have a couple options, but a light always available when she needs it. Added bonus: maybe it'll plant the seeds for future flashaholism in her.

I think this is the best solution. A small keychain light + Sabre Red Spitfire pepper spray on her key/ID holder at least ensures that she has the basics with her at all times. A larger light gives her more options if/when she feels the need to carry it.

Latest posts