SunDrop XR-U owners

AlecGold

Enlightened
The lens seal O-ring is a metric 1x13 nitrile and the lens retaining O-ring is a #015 EPDM.
On the McClickie pak, the head to tube seal (front end) is a #017 O-ring. The switch boot retaining O-ring is a #113.

AlecGold

Enlightened
You know its funny, I was thinking my E1L outdoorsman would make a perfect companion to the Sundrop for those rare occasions you need good throw. I think my EDC bag just got a little heavier.

I never realized the E1L had so much trow? I guess the same TIR as found in the E1B?
That's not enough for my taste :)

tygger

Enlightened
I never realized the E1L had so much trow? I guess the same TIR as found in the E1B?
That's not enough for my taste :)

Thanks Alec. Just found the info page after I posted that :ohgeez:. Okay okay, E1L throw isn't great but its better than the T1A, Sundrop, H501 combo thats in my bag now. I'm a little too floody at the moment.

AlecGold

Enlightened
yeah, all that rechargeable is nice for the CR123 stash, but I just like my M6 so much, it's such a brute, powerrrrrful light.

tygger

Enlightened
Just an update. The Sundrop XR-U has been my EDC and serves most needs extremely well. I find the tint and beam pattern make it very easy on the eyes for nighttime navigation, even with dark adapted eyes. Of course it also makes a great reading light. IMO, the Sundrop is an amazing close task light and even more useful than I had anticipated.

pockets

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Haiku, which I love! But those beamshots of the Sundrop XR-U haunt my dreams. I'm thinking of getting one soon. One of the main reasons to buy one, I think, would be the ability to change light engines. Do you think a flashlight challenged person(me) could change le's easily? There is a UV-LE now. Although I have no use for a UV, what other options do you see down the road, assuming I could change the le? I always enjoy reading everyone comments-Thanks

Last edited:

scout24

Staff member
i go back and forth with a LE very similar to the one in the Haiku for use in the XR-U. Needle nose pliers, and the LE's simply unscrew. Even I could do it, so you should not have a problem. Versatility is a wonderful thing! Thank you again, Don, for making these available.

AlecGold

Enlightened
i go back and forth with a LE very similar to the one in the Haiku for use in the XR-U. Needle nose pliers, and the LE's simply unscrew. Even I could do it, so you should not have a problem. Versatility is a wonderful thing! Thank you again, Don, for making these available.

+1 LE swapping is simple as anything. It is just a bit tight the first time, but it's not an easily damage part, as everything is protected by the can.
Just don't put pressure on top of the LED as that might damage the die/wires to the die. But even that will take some real bad luck and quite some pressure.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a Haiku, which I love! But those beamshots of the Sundrop XR-U haunt my dreams. I'm thinking of getting one soon. One of the main reasons to buy one, I think, would be the ability to change light engines. Do you think a flashlight challenged person(me) could change le's easily? There is a UV-LE now. Although I have no use for a UV, what other options do you see down the road, assuming I could change the le? I always enjoy reading everyone comments-Thanks

Presuming I get the UV-LE it will either be in an XR-U head or the EN Mule as I don't want a UV hotspot. The Haiku LE is GREAT in the XR-U head - no hot spot, just a big round beam of light.

Changing the LE is almost like changing a lightbulb, mine weren't tight enough to require any tools the first time around. Love that setup !

pockets

Newly Enlightened
I guess I could do it then. I like the idea of switching LE's between the Haiku and the XR-U. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an XR-U. Was smaller than I expected. And the clicky is very nice, good action. A good-looking light.

The beam is pretty neat, though I detect some PWM on low. Looking forward to dark tonight to put it through its paces.

I wonder where would be the best place to get some different LE's to play with for this light?

fyrstormer

Banned
Don is selling 3-speed ultraviolet LEs right now, the Sandwich Shoppe sells 3-speed LEs with Cree and Seoul emitters, and I have a 3-speed LE with a neutral-white Luxeon emitter for sale on the B/S/T. Others pop up from time to time, but those are the best options right now.

shane1

Enlightened
Which LE do you recommend from the Sandwich Shoppe? Is there a difference in lumens and runtime between the Cree and Seoul?

shane

Don is selling 3-speed ultraviolet LEs right now, the Sandwich Shoppe sells 3-speed LEs with Cree and Seoul emitters, and I have a 3-speed LE with a neutral-white Luxeon emitter for sale on the B/S/T. Others pop up from time to time, but those are the best options right now.

fyrstormer

Banned
I haven't had the opportunity to try both yet, but I imagine the Cree version is the same brightness as the LE in the Haiku, though not necessarily with the best-binned emitters available. When I compare the Seoul version to my Jetbeam Jet-II with a Cree Q5 emitter, the Seoul falls short a little bit, but that could also be because I don't have it focused perfectly in the light it's installed in right now.

From what I understand, Cree generally sacrifices some quality in exchange for higher brightness as compared to Seoul.

reeso

Newly Enlightened
What sort of runtime do you get on high with the XR-U?
I'm 99% certain I need one of these,just need a bit more encouragement :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Okay - I'm a complete rookie when it comes to swapping light engines. Lots of good resources to read through (and I have) but I want to be sure: Is this the correct size light engine to get for the Sundrop XR-U?

The Sundrop, Haiku, etc., use the GDuP engine, right?

UPDATE - I think I figured it out - when I saw the words "built on the XR can" on this engine that tells me that this is the correct size, right?

Thank you!

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The SunDrop XR-U should be able to host any number of light engines including those like you have linked. The SunDrop head does not have LED clearance for most of the LE's out there. This is one of the reasons for coming up with the SunDrop XR-U.

The XR-E 3S LE that I build is somewhat different than the GDuP XR-E LE in that my version has the LED slightly elevated relative to the GDuP LE shown. Optic alignment would be different as a result. This would have little bearing in a mule or SunDrop XR-U head but would make a difference in the Haiku head.