Sunwayman T40CS (XM-L, 2x18650/4xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my T40CS today and just compared it to my solerforce masterpiece pro 1(my best thrower) at 500 feet shining it on a line if trees and to my surprise the T40CS was slightly brighter then my pro 1.:eek: It has and bigger hotspot so it can even light up more at 500 feet then the pro1 so the T40CS is now my best thrower. Finally found a light that can beat it. :D

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel really sorry for Sunway, coz they're too slow to release their products.
This T40CS 3/4 size 2x18650 in-line and the big V60C 3x18650 parallel, both traditional throwers, should have been released on the market 12 months ago in 2010, to attain peak interest.
Presently, consumer interest is in triple XM-L flooders or flood-throw, like the TM11 - thus Sunway must release their triple XM-L fast.
Sunway make great products, but the timing is also very important...

funder

Newly Enlightened
Here is some study on reflector other other flashlight optics:

http://www.slideshare.net/canfang/led-optics-in-flashlight

We can notice that there is some flat area in the reflector of T40CS. Actually, when the reflector is shallower, the flat area is larger. The throw of the flashlight is determined by the effective projection area. For example, the diameter of reflector is 60mm, with 30mm flat area. Then the effective projection area is pi (30^2 - 15^2).

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review :)

- Which light will throw more/ give more light - Fenix TK41 or Sunwayman T40CS ??

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Which light will throw more/ give more light - Fenix TK41 or Sunwayman T40CS ??
They should be fairly close.

I haven't tested a TK41, but my experience of other high-output Fenix lights is that their reported lumen and throw specs are generally slightly higher than my results. So I would expect to see in the low-mid 700 estimated lumen range for output, and likely the mid-high 40K throw range. But that is just a very approximate "guestimate". At the end of the day, the beam profiles are probably fairly similar.

systym

Newly Enlightened
incredibly detailed writeup! I just joined cpf in search of a nice edc so i am browsing some of the older threads\ had to chime in on this one!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
incredibly detailed writeup! I just joined cpf in search of a nice edc so i am browsing some of the older threads\ had to chime in on this one!
:welcome:

Glad you enjoyed the review. I wouldn't have thought of the T40CS as an edc (unless you are used to carrying a lightsaber, lol). But it does make a very good thrower/search & rescue light. The wider spillbeam may not be everyone's preference, but it is distinctive for this class.

elliowb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the awesome reviews Selfbuilt! This review in particular helped me to finally decide on the T40CS. I only have a few other lights to compare with, but the T40 blows away my Eagle Tac M2XC4. I've used it for several months and am very happy with the T40's performance and handling. I use it primarily for walking the dogs and for wilderness backpacking. The throw is great for spotting hazards either on our walk or in the mountains. The low beam is great around camp or for removing thorns from the dogs paws, etc...

I've done some unscientific tests for throw and find that 500M effective range is quite realistic. Aimed on mountain sides that I know are 500M away, I can actually make out the outlines of the mountain (on an otherwise dark night). Of course, our terrain is rather light in color, so it's easier to see, but that's still incredible. At 300-400M the light is very useful even for making out details. The desert air is quite clear and doesn't have much water vapor, so this may not be true in all environments.

I also very much like the electronic interface. Works quite well. My only complaint, if one can call it that, I have a difficult time finding the electronic switch by feel. I'm going to put some fancy knot work on the battery cylinder so that I can more easily find the switch by feel only.

-- Bill

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the awesome reviews Selfbuilt! This review in particular helped me to finally decide on the T40CS. I only have a few other lights to compare with, but the T40 blows away my Eagle Tac M2XC4.
Thanks for the "real-world" feedback. Always good to hear actual field use for the high-output lights. :thumbsup:

The cool white 3x XR-E R2 Eagletac M2XC4 had about ~27,000 lux @1m in my testing, which translates into a beam distance to 0.25lux of 329m. This is noticeably lower than the T40Cs (46,750 lux @1m, or 432m beam distance on my sample). But these numbers only tell part of the story, as triple-emitter lights always seem to underperform compared to single-emitter lights at great distances.

Last edited:

chaimuy

Newly Enlightened
where to find the serial no of T40CS, I suspect it fake from ebay store. i bought one.
as Sunwayman website said the original Serial no should started with GA... but mine only on tail cap printed HKT...
also those letter craft on flashlight using Lazer or printed? mine look like printed one.

guys, please comment , thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
where to find the serial no of T40CS, I suspect it fake from ebay store. i bought one.
as Sunwayman website said the original Serial no should started with GA... but mine only on tail cap printed HKT...
also those letter craft on flashlight using Lazer or printed? mine look like printed one.
The only serial number on my early sample (which came directly from an authorized dealer) is on the tailcap. However, mine starts with AAT, so it seems the website info you are referring to must be out of date.

I would check directly with Sunwayman if you have any concerns of authenticity with your sample.

chaimuy

Newly Enlightened
The only serial number on my early sample (which came directly from an authorized dealer) is on the tailcap. However, mine starts with AAT, so it seems the website info you are referring to must be out of date.

I would check directly with Sunwayman if you have any concerns of authenticity with your sample.

Yeah, finally i checked with Sunwayman, found out that their website infomation is out of date, now Serial no should be at the Tails cap.
:)

swan

Banned
Great review as always Selfbuilt, i would just like to say wow what a good light more spill than i expected and it really throws it out there. The ui is what made me choose the tc40 over the crelent and olight and has a really high build quality with nice anno and threads. It beats my bc40 and sc600 for ceiling bounce with a nice tint.

vjanda

Newly Enlightened
Here's a question for all you lumen heads out there.

Is there a green filter similar to the one available for the Thrunite Catapult V3 that exists for the T40CS?
I know Sunwayman don't make filters but was hoping there is something out there that I could use.
I tried the V3 filter on the T40CS but it's too small.
I need to find a solution as I prefer the T40CS to the Thrunite cat v3.
Btw I need the green filter for wild boar hunting

Many thanks,
Viktor

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is there a green filter similar to the one available for the Thrunite Catapult V3 that exists for the T40CS?
Hmmm, I don't know of any off-hand that would fit. The T40CS head is fairly large, and most filters I've seen are a few millimeters shorter in diameter. Hopefully someone can help you, good luck in your search.

And :welcome: for your first post.

South

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to this review I decided on the T40CS. It will be setup on my rifle for hunting. I love the UI setup on this light. Also the high and medium settings are great in combination for spotting and dispatching my prey. Great work self built all your reviews are well made.

PS, I'm another that is searching out color filters to use for it.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
fantastic review as all yours are, this light seems to be now shipping with an updated emitter, an xm-l u3 i believe, any chance of a second review of the updated light? I would love to see how the updated version stacks against the competition in the 2x18650 throw category

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
fantastic review as all yours are, this light seems to be now shipping with an updated emitter, an xm-l u3 i believe, any chance of a second review of the updated light? I would love to see how the updated version stacks against the competition in the 2x18650 throw category
Unlikely - it's rare for a manufacturer to send me a new sample simply for an emitter upgrade.