Sunwayman V10A (1xAA, XP-G R5, Continuously-Variable) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
How is the throw on this?
Throw and beam distance measures are given in the summary tables in the review. As you will see, the V10A does well in comparison to most lights of this class, but I wouldn't consider any regular 1xAA light "throwy", as such.

RBWNY

Enlightened
How is the throw on this?

I like it. Mainly because I'm using a 14500 which gives it a nice lumen bump. As a comparison, I also have a NiteCore IFE2 (2x CR123/1x 18650) and in outdoor situations I can't see any measurable difference in the two of them. Max brightness and throw are neck `n neck equal :thumbsup:

V10A's center hotspot is tighter with a slight brownish tint. More characteristic of other AA's I've seen.

Last edited:

Animalmother

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Ok thanks guys. I have a LD10 R5 I am thinking maybe I should have gotten the R4 version now.

tbenedict

Enlightened
Well, I finally broke down and got one of these. I am really digging this thing.

I did notice that on all levels except wide open, it has a slight ramp when turning on. Kind of like the Proton Pro, but quicker. Seems neat when on the real low settings to prevent shock. I'm guessing the circuit has to load up a little and maybe hi has a different path in the circuit.

The only suggestions for improvement that I can see are:
1) Adjust the clicky so it is easier to click on with a thumb in the overhand grip.
2) Add a small notch so a lanyard won't affect tailstanding. I do like the larger holes.
3) Neutral tints (white on mine is good, just my general preference).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lowest setting seems to vary from sample to sample. Probably due to variations in drivers.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see any mention about a low battery warning during the review. My light flashes three times to warn of a low battery. It will draw my IMR 14500 down to 2.2 volts before flashing begins.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I didn't see any mention about a low battery warning during the review. My light flashes three times to warn of a low battery. It will draw my IMR 14500 down to 2.2 volts before flashing begins.
Interesting, I had noticed that on standard cells in my original sample (but don't have IMR 14500 to test - always used protected 14500s). Could be a new feature.

FYI, one thing I did ntotice on my sample is the light flickers (think high-frequency strobe) on alkalines just before the cell is fully exhausted (i.e. well below 1% original output). This strobe effect stops if you dial down the output to a lower level (at least for awhile). Not sure if it happens on other cells - I stop NiMH long before then (bad for the batteries to let them drain that far), and use only protected Li-ions.

RBWNY

Enlightened

No flickering/flashing on mine. Have always used protected 14500's. Was using it yesterday when it just "went to black". Had Trustfire (flame) cell in it. Voltage around 2.8

Budda

Enlightened
I own a RRT-0 with infinite brightness system, which I believe has almost the same circuit of this light.
in both lights the biggest complain for me is the lack of efficiency of the driver at the lowest modes and in standby.
My trusted 47 123^2 with R2 runs at 0.3 OTF lumen for months, this lights runs on a lowest level for less than half week.
And the parasitic drain in standby mode is too high. it happens often to me that I leave the light in standby and forget to switch off... than the next day I need a new battery.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No flickering/flashing on mine. Have always used protected 14500's. Was using it yesterday when it just "went to black". Had Trustfire (flame) cell in it. Voltage around 2.8
Yes, that's exactly what's expected with a protected cell. I don't have any unprotected 14500s to test, so I don't know if what Lou reports is a new feature, or was always present.

I own a RRT-0 with infinite brightness system, which I believe has almost the same circuit of this light.
in both lights the biggest complain for me is the lack of efficiency of the driver at the lowest modes and in standby.
My trusted 47 123^2 with R2 runs at 0.3 OTF lumen for months, this lights runs on a lowest level for less than half week.
And the parasitic drain in standby mode is too high. it happens often to me that I leave the light in standby and forget to switch off... than the next day I need a new battery.
Yes, the performance here is similar. Although the V10A doesn't have a standby mode, current drain at the lowest level suggests you would only get 1.5-2.5 days of runtime (max) off a fresh battery, depending on battery type.

In my testing of the Nitecore IFE2 (which also has a similar circuit), the standby mode is just slightly less than the lowest brightness level. Since the RRT-0 presumably has a comparable circuit, I'm not surprised by your result.

kahuna2793

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I don't understand what 50% ?
sunwayman V10a (XP-G R5 ) max=59 min to 50%

QUOTE=selfbuilt;3707562]Ah, both of these pieces of info are in the review. :thinking: Check out the summary tables and runtime graphs.[/QUOTE]

RBWNY

Enlightened
Sorry I don't understand what 50% ?
sunwayman V10a (XP-G R5 ) max=59 min to 50%

QUOTE=selfbuilt;3707562]Ah, both of these pieces of info are in the review. :thinking: Check out the summary tables and runtime graphs.
[/QUOTE]

59 min to 50% refers roughly to the amount of time you can expect the light to run on max brightness, before it downshifts to 50% of its highest lumens. Personally I don't think it matters that much when using rechargeable cells. :naughty:

RBWNY

Enlightened
As a quick aside to my last post.... the only thing I don't like about using 14500's in this light, is how HOT it gets on high! (very quickly too)

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Does the V10A officially support 14500? The sales references to this light that I have seen only say...

• Uses one single AA battery (Alkaline, Lithium, or Ni-MH) (Batteries not included)
You would think if it could handle the higher input voltage they would advertise it as such? In my cynical brain it seemed they had gone out of their way to put a different circuit in here than in the V10R, but I couldn't figure out why they would do this. :shrug:

Last edited: