Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
can someone tell exactly why the variable regulation is less efficient than defined brightness levels? For example, Olight S10 (defined levels) runs in the moonlight mode for 15 days, V11R (variable) runs on minimal level for 2 days only. Both flashlight are current regulated. I know and it's obvious that variable regulation has some kind of overhead, but what is it in detail? What are the differences in their circuits?
Thanks!
The chip that allows infinite variability eats up a few milliamps. I'm guessing ~10mA. Some math below.

In my experiments, the lowest current required to turn on the LED on a customized (for a low-low) V1*R is ~13mA. With an 850mAh battery, this might last ~ 850/13 = 2.7 days. So if another light can run for 15 days, and assuming the same battery/voltage, I'm guessing it only needs 2.3mA to turn on. In either case the low-low is pretty useless -- it's barely visible to dark-adjusted eyes.

Turn up the brightness to a useful level, and the difference in how long they last will start to disappear.

Last edited:

awes

Newly Enlightened
Thanks borealis. I wonder if someone will ever build a variable regulated driver with a smaller overhead.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it would have been feasible for Sunwayman to provide a command to bypass the control ring circuit. Basically, you double click the power switch and whatever mode you're on is "locked". You double-click again to release and allow the control ring to change the brightness level. This way you in can get far better runtimes when locked, which is useful when you're going to be using the selected mode for a long while.

Native89

Newly Enlightened
So, I've been EDC'ing this light for about a month and love it. I have never had a light with "infinitely" variable brightness and am new to the Sunwayman brand as well, but I have almost no complaints about it. Currently running my Neutral White XM-L version on a 16340 and still am amazed at the wall of light that this torch can put out.

If I had to nitpick though, there are two things that I noticed:

-I kinda wish this light had a bezel up clip. I rotate between this and a Quark123 and prefer the Quarks bezel up clip. Though, I can see why this is not the case as it would most likely interfere with the control ring.

-Still can't find a comfortable way to change output one-handed in the overhand position. Currently I just turn on the light overhand and then transition to underhand which is fine, but I still find awkward sometimes.

Having said that, the light is just perfect as and EDC with a really low low and blinding Max (already accidentally blasted myself with ~500lm) I find it really versatile. I also don't miss the flashy modes as much as I thought I would. Makes me really look forward to Sunwayman's future lights.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if it would have been feasible for Sunwayman to provide a command to bypass the control ring circuit. Basically, you double click the power switch and whatever mode you're on is "locked". You double-click again to release and allow the control ring to change the brightness level. This way you in can get far better runtimes when locked, which is useful when you're going to be using the selected mode for a long while.
The control ring circuit doesn't set a "mode" -- it (probably) regulates the current. The bypass would have to have its own levels, like other multi-level lights.

JJohn

Enlightened
As I would want more throw than flood, should I try to locate an older version of the V10 that doesn't use a XM-L LED? Thanks for a great review but, since the only V10's that I have found for sale have the newer LED, I am left wondering will it be too floody for me? The light will be used for nighttime hikes where I sometimes find that too much flood, especially when its foggy or raining, hurts visibility.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
As I would want more throw than flood, should I try to locate an older version of the V10 that doesn't use a XM-L LED? Thanks for a great review but, since the only V10's that I have found for sale have the newer LED, I am left wondering will it be too floody for me? The light will be used for nighttime hikes where I sometimes find that too much flood, especially when its foggy or raining, hurts visibility.
Hard to say - the main difference is that "throwy" XP-G/XP-E lights can be dialed down lower, reducing spill (while maintaining the relative center beam intensity you want). Honestly, this has generally been my preference in an EDC, as I like to use as little light as possible to complete my task. That said, I've easily adapted to XM-L in the last couple of lights I EDCed. :shrug:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ SB, I noticed that this light has displaced your ZL SC52 as EDC. Is the infinite brightness control what made the difference, or are there some other characteristics? What, if any, would you say is lacking about the SC52 in comparison? Also, how would you compare their beam outputs in terms of tint and artifacts/smoothness?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
^ SB, I noticed that this light has displaced your ZL SC52 as EDC. Is the infinite brightness control what made the difference, or are there some other characteristics? What, if any, would you say is lacking about the SC52 in comparison? Also, how would you compare their beam outputs in terms of tint and artifacts/smoothness?
Actually, the V11R has been my EDC for awhile (and the V10A before that - which replaced the SC51). I was just field testing the SC52 for awhle, before return to my old standard.

The main reason is the intuitive feel of the control ring to me. The SC52 is great, but I still occasionally miss-the-mark when getting my timings down - and I am very fussy about getting hit in the face with full power in low light conditions. That's another point of my personal preference - I use only as much light as I absolutely need for a situation, and I like being able to dial down the V11R to really low levels before activating. I am also not so concerned about runtime efficiency (normally an issue for me), because I am disciplined enough to recharge frequently (especially before any travel).

And that's really about it - the beam doesn't matter so much to me, and both lights have a good beam. I actually prefer the throw of XP-G in small lights, but I have previously found you can used to almost anything. :rolleyes: I switched from the V10A (I had the XP-G version) to the V11R because I prefer the grippiness of the body and ring.

Again, the above is just my personal preference - I wouldn't necessarily recommend one light over the other. But as always, it is worth asking yourself what really matters to you. I would have thought that beam pattern, profile and tint would be big issues for me, but the practicality of grip/user interface wins out in practice. :shrug:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the V11R has been my EDC for awhile (and the V10A before that - which replaced the SC51). I was just field testing the SC52 for awhle, before return to my old standard.

The main reason is the intuitive feel of the control ring to me. The SC52 is great, but I still occasionally miss-the-mark when getting my timings down - and I am very fussy about getting hit in the face with full power in low light conditions. That's another point of my personal preference - I use only as much light as I absolutely need for a situation, and I like being able to dial down the V11R to really low levels before activating. I am also not so concerned about runtime efficiency (normally an issue for me), because I am disciplined enough to recharge frequently (especially before any travel).
I can identify with your concerns. With recent efficiency improvements in LED emitters, the older flashlight models start looking a bit less appealing unless their emitters are upgraded. I'm pretty good about not using the highest settings for long periods, so runtimes between cell replacement with my lights are usually pretty good. Still, it's nice to extend that as long as possible. While the SC52 doesn't have the ease of variability that the V11R features, at least you can adjust the pre-programmed settings as you wish.

And that's really about it - the beam doesn't matter so much to me, and both lights have a good beam. I actually prefer the throw of XP-G in small lights, but I have previously found you can used to almost anything. :rolleyes: I switched from the V10A (I had the XP-G version) to the V11R because I prefer the grippiness of the body and ring.

Again, the above is just my personal preference - I wouldn't necessarily recommend one light over the other. But as always, it is worth asking yourself what really matters to you. I would have thought that beam pattern, profile and tint would be big issues for me, but the practicality of grip/user interface wins out in practice. :shrug:
My first exposure to LED lights was via the Fenix brand. The L2S had a really nice smooth ringless beam pattern with a tolerable greenish tint. My NovaTac EDC and Surefire U2 that followed also exhibited very smooth transitions from hot spot to spill without glaring rings. But some other lights I've bought showed not only rings and blobs but even multiple tints (greenish/yellow rings with purplish/blue spills). If used outdoors it's not a big deal, but inside against smooth plain walls or over white paper the beam pattern becomes quite noticeable. I did discover that using a diffuser can smooth it over with no problem, which is great. So like you, I feel like the grip and UI is more important than the beam tint and artifacts. Still... if you can get it all in one package, it's nice. :)

I've been itching to get an SC52w, but will have to give the V11R more consideration before making the plunge. Thanks again for all of your useful info. :twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My first exposure to LED lights was via the Fenix brand. The L2S had a really nice smooth ringless beam pattern with a tolerable greenish tint. My NovaTac EDC and Surefire U2 that followed also exhibited very smooth transitions from hot spot to spill without glaring rings.
I see we are from the same time period (a greenish Fenix L2S was my first "real" LED light too). :) Of course, the reason you had nice beams is that you went for a luxeon III, SSC P4, and a luxeon V for your first three lights. :laughing:

There seems to have been a considerable shift to throw in recent years, possibly due to its inclusion in the ANSI FL-1 standard. I recall the hoopla from the first "turbo" head lights - even though they don't throw as far as many pocket models now (e.g. my Nitecore EC1 would out-throw my original Lumapower D-mini). Times change ...

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see we are from the same time period (a greenish Fenix L2S was my first "real" LED light too). :) Of course, the reason you had nice beams is that you went for a luxeon III, SSC P4, and a luxeon V for your first three lights. :laughing:

There seems to have been a considerable shift to throw in recent years, possibly due to its inclusion in the ANSI FL-1 standard. I recall the hoopla from the first "turbo" head lights - even though they don't throw as far as many pocket models now (e.g. my Nitecore EC1 would out-throw my original Lumapower D-mini). Times change ...
Heh, pretty funny coincidence on the L2S! Yeah, the "need for throw" certainly pushed the market in a different direction. But if chatter I've been seeing is any indication of the next trend, I'm wondering if it will shift back more to tint and spill with less emphasis on throw. Or perhaps both will continue in parallel?

Anyway, I need to do more reading up on the various emitter brands and their models. The market has become quite crowded and ones I'd thought were going to fall by the wayside still seem to keep on innovating. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out, if the more successful ones will buy out the lesser ones and we'll end up with only a few major emitter makers in the near future.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
I would have thought that beam pattern, profile and tint would be big issues for me, but the practicality of grip/user interface wins out in practice. :shrug:
You could, of course, replace the stock LED with another and/or use diffuser film to address these issues.

SOUL PATROL 510

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, Fist Thank you VERY much for the killer reviews on ALL THESE lights. I am currently looking into getting a good EDC single cell battery light.
I have narrowed it down to two possible lights.. The Jetbeam PC10 and the Sunwayman V11R.
My question is are there any other makes that offer similar adjustability as the V11R ?
Again thank you for the insight into this relm of lights as I have allways carried a cheap-o and am looking forward to "seeing" the differance.:)

cyclesport

Enlightened
Hello all, Fist Thank you VERY much for the killer reviews on ALL THESE lights. I am currently looking into getting a good EDC single cell battery light.
I have narrowed it down to two possible lights.. The Jetbeam PC10 and the Sunwayman V11R.
My question is are there any other makes that offer similar adjustability as the V11R ?
Again thank you for the insight into this relm of lights as I have allways carried a cheap-o and am looking forward to "seeing" the differance.:)

See attached...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ngs&highlight=magnetic+control+ring+IV+lights

bandit408

Newly Enlightened
Been thinking of picking one of these up for EDC. Currently I have a Jetbeam RRT-2 and love it. Just need something a little smaller for EDC.

SOUL PATROL 510

Newly Enlightened
Been thinking of picking one of these up for EDC. Currently I have a Jetbeam RRT-2 and love it. Just need something a little smaller for EDC.
This light is awesome !! I had my reservations on spending close to $100 for a flashlight but I am glad I did. I especially like the ability to turn it all the way down to 1 Lumen, handy when fumbling around my bedroom at 5 a.m. whilst trying not to wake the wife:thumbsup:. It was a bit smaller than I had figured it would be which is great because I can barely even notice it is in my pocket. I highly recommend picking one of these up !! You won't be disappointed !!