Surefire’s 2009 New Lights Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

txgp17

Enlightened
Great! SF has the M3TL upgrade for the M3T incan, I'm wondering if it also works wit the M6:confused:
At the Shot Show booth I overheard a Surefire rep say that it would. Correct me if I'm wrong but the M6 is a 9 volt light right? In that sense it's no different than an M3, except it can provide twice the amps.

I specifically asked about the M4, and the rep gave me an honest "I dunno" rather than trying to BS me.

My KL2 head operates to at least 14.8 volts (4 RCR123A's in series).

Taboot

Enlightened
I dont like a woman that carries more firepower than I do! Now back to flashlights before we get in trouble!!!:whistle:

She's carrying an empty rifle and it looks like she couldn't find the trigger if it had a folded dollar bill taped to it. She's not carrying more firepower than anyone. She does look pretty nutty though, so best not to mess with.:nana:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
@mercaptain
Yeah they had working prototypes for the u2a but not u2b. I wouldn't be too disappointed if they did decide to go back to the drawing boards though; you would be royally ticked off if you bought one and found it to be subpar.

Fooboy

Enlightened
Any idea on prices for these lights?

Mainly thinking:

LX1
LX2
UB3

Actually ... mainly interested in the LX2.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
ricehaterboi said:
Did anybody else notice in the AZ2 description the mention of a V85A holster?
yes - they may be upgrading their speedholster, I guess.

The Vampire's neat, but I'm really hoping for something that can use the heterogeneous multi-die technology to give us RGBPhosphor or RGBAmber white. The A2Z looks really genuinely interesting, and would likely have been my first and only Surefire had it been out a couple years ago. That said, my feelings are mixed on upping the wide-beam output - I find myself reaching with depressing regularity for an Inova X5 with really dead batteries, or a 1xAAA Dorcy LED because the stock white Aviator is just too bright. Anyone done integrating sphere tests on that?

kromeke

Enlightened
Not much to add, but as a machinist, I don't think knurling was jettisoned as a cost saving measure. If anything, Surefire seems more hellbent on showing off the capability of their CNC machine tools. They go for more complexity (machining wise) than less. I won't say this is good or bad, but it does make it difficult for companies with lesser resources from making look-alike copies.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Would anyone know if AZ2 was inspired by law enforcement requests like the E1B was? Z2 was standard for the feds and wonder if they approached SF and asked for upgrades seeing all the LED technology available to light manufactures these days.

outersquare

Enlightened
well hopefully SF releases actual products for sale soon at not too insane prices

last year their catalog was basically vaporware

Monocrom

Flashaholic
SureFire appears to be trying a new approach to grip ergonomics. This styling allows rotational grip and I found when I tried out a UA2 proto-type, surprising level of retention grip in hand, without having the 'abrasive' knurling which can slow down the drawing and stowing of the flashlight in pockets and holsters etc.

It still amazes me.... Apparently I'm the only one in the entire world who never had a single negaitive issue with Surefire's knurling.

In low-light scenarios, especially in conjuction with a handgun, the knurling doesn't affect the draw-stroke of an E-series light one bit. There's no slow-down at all. (Mainly due to the E-series clip making contact with one of the smooth portions of the body).

Never had a single issue re-clipping the light, one handed, back into a pants pocket. I've also never experienced Surefires destroying my pants-pockets due to having real checkering, as opposed to tiny bumps that some other brands like to pass off as checkering.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Not much to add, but as a machinist, I don't think knurling was jettisoned as a cost saving measure. If anything, Surefire seems more hellbent on showing off the capability of their CNC machine tools. They go for more complexity (machining wise) than less. I won't say this is good or bad, but it does make it difficult for companies with lesser resources from making look-alike copies.
Creating and protecting your own style with design patents is one way to try to ensure that your brand remains distinctive in the plethora of imitations.

SureFire have never been one to shy away from using complex machining and showing of their CNC capability.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
It still amazes me.... Apparently I'm the only one in the entire world who never had a single negaitive issue with Surefire's knurling.

In low-light scenarios, especially in conjuction with a handgun, the knurling doesn't affect the draw-stroke of an E-series light one bit. There's no slow-down at all. (Mainly due to the E-series clip making contact with one of the smooth portions of the body).

Never had a single issue re-clipping the light, one handed, back into a pants pocket. I've also never experienced Surefires destroying my pants-pockets due to having real checkering, as opposed to tiny bumps that some other brands like to pass off as checkering.

Agreed.
The "x-tra crispy" knurling is one of the things that made a Surefire looks like a Surefire for me...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't tell by the pics if the T1A has a reflector or optic. Does it have a SSC or Cree? That black HA looks awesome. That may be my new one-cell EDC.....depending on the price of course....

RogerRabbit

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I've got a stupid question.

The LX2 description in the cataloque says...

"Two-stage switching: Press for momentary on low beam, press further for momentary on high beam, twist for constant on low beam, twist further for constant on high beam."

Does that mean, that it goes to momentary high beam when I press the switch all in, or does that mean that I have to click thrue the modes like on a Fenix? :thinking: :shrug:

Thank you all!
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.