Surefire’s 2010 New Lights Discussion

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about getting the body and putting a KX1 head on it for LOOOOOOOONNNNGGG runtime with Energizer Lithiums...

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if SF were listening they'd be more realistic about release dates.

The bit about release dates did come out during conversations and during the Q & A session we had with the SF reps at the MattK party and they are aware of this, we'll leave it there for now.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if SF were listening they'd be more realistic about release dates.

They're much more conservative now with release dates. An unfortunate side effect is that they're also not showing product as early.

Also, it's not that they weren't being 'realistic' before; it's simply that priorities changes and that complications that don't reveal themselves in the prototyping stages become apparent during the ramp up to production so release dates get pushed.

ganled

Newly Enlightened
Surefire should do as the automakers do. They should group their product displays into pre-production and concept catagories. They can show new models that are going to be released in the near future in the pre-production catagory. Then they can show all their long term prototypes and technology demonstrators in the concept catagories. This way consumers can better judge what is coming and still be able to see Surefire's latest and greatest technology.

loszabo

Enlightened
That is cool. I got a feeling they wont make any tactical lights in the AA format.

Duh, no kidding? Still no M6 with AAs... :nana: And, I always thought that cheap, leaking AAs with different diameters, and no long-term power storage are so perfect for tactical lights...

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know if it has been mentioned before but the NEW 6PL, Stratum, etc, are using a new head with the new LED + reflector + electronics embedded into the bezel. That should help with the thermal management problem that the original P60L had.

Also, I'm too lazy to search through 10 pages, so forgive me if someone else has done this, but I plan on scanning the catalog today or tomorrow.

iapyx

Enlightened
I don't know if it has been mentioned before but the NEW 6PL, Stratum, etc, are using a new head with the new LED + reflector + electronics embedded into the bezel. That should help with the thermal management problem that the original P60L had.

Also, I'm too lazy to search through 10 pages, so forgive me if someone else has done this, but I plan on scanning the catalog today or tomorrow.

Thanks Carrot.
There are some low res scans in this thread, but high quality scans are welcome.

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
They're much more conservative now with release dates. An unfortunate side effect is that they're also not showing product as early.

Also, it's not that they weren't being 'realistic' before; it's simply that priorities changes and that complications that don't reveal themselves in the prototyping stages become apparent during the ramp up to production so release dates get pushed.

i think others have mentioned this before, but i'm curious whether complications with the vari-beam technology were in fact the primary cause of ua2 never making it into production?

anyway, looking forward to any of the new lights that make it out the gate this year.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think others have mentioned this before, but i'm curious whether complications with the vari-beam technology were in fact the primary cause of ua2 never making it into production?

anyway, looking forward to any of the new lights that make it out the gate this year.

It had something to do with the runtimes at the stated lumens. Was told it was hard to put out the max lumens for the stated amount of time and the project was scrapped.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The scans don't look so great, sorry.

Well, you will just have to send me that catalog then. Right? :grin2:

I think "SureFire Lumens" is a thing of the past.

Bite your tongue. Sacrilege. Please say it's not so.

hmmm we shall wait to see whether the e1b 80 lumens shall have the same brightness as the e1b 110 lumens...

This will be interesting, indeed. Regardless, I haven't been using my E1B heads anyway. I put KL5 heads on 'em and run the R123 cells. I'm still having a difficult time accepting the TIR optics. They DO come in handy when I have to light something up that's kinda far away though. I picked up an LX2 for that :D

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody else mentioned that this was a KX1 head on a long E2L body to accomodate the AA batteries.

But this new KX1 head is 80 lumens on high from what I see. I'm talking about the current 3/45 lumen KX1 head .... a pair of Energizer lithiums and it would be like what - 24hrs or so on high?

KROMATICS

Enlightened
When I called Surefire on friday the person I spoke with said not till at least May and probably around $500 for the Invictus.

According to my Surefire decoder ring that actually means August of 2012 as the Invictus "Final Edition" UB4T-S-MKVI 3.1