Surefire’s 2010 New Lights Discussion

iapyx

Enlightened
I've been a member for three years now and there's something I don't know because I've simply never wondered about it. Now with the UB3T presented I do:

What exactly is the advantage of a turbohead?
(and: why a UB3T and not a UB3?)

thanks!
iapyx

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've been a member for three years now and there's something I don't know because I've simply never wondered about it. . .

What exactly is the advantage of a turbohead?

One word . . . Throw.

mwaldron

Enlightened
Here is the new items they are taking orders for... and delivery dates. Yes, I have lot's ordered!! :grin2:

ML3T'S RETAIL $450 - APRIL 1 RELEASE.

Z2LS $139 APRIL 1ST

:laughing: Finally appropriate dates at least even if they're not accurate. Accuracy to be determined on April 2...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 has reduced output at 4V and struggles at 3V. Many later ones were reported not to work at all on 3V. I will have to try 2.4V (2x NiMH) when I get home tonight. I have a 2AA KX1 I put together recently for the fun of it - and to cycle some underused and neglected NiMH, so I can just throw the KL4 on it to see if it lights up. If it runs at low output for an extended time, it will be useful, but I'm not optimistic (yet). Has anybody tried it?
But the possibilities of all the AA combinations of chemistries don't really open up until you have a 1AA body, which you can get at the Sandwich Shoppe in the Aleph line with the 17500 body and a sleeve & spacer (the body is too long for 14500 - but then you have to switch bodies like everybody else, so why bother getting excited. The voltage gap between 1.2V NiMH and 3.7V 14500's is too great to allow any heads to run well off both double cell combinations except underdriving the KX2 (and possibly the KL4) on 2xNiMH and overdriving it on 2x14500. The KL4 does NOT like 2x14500! Neither does the E2DL on high. I tried 2xRCR123 in an E2DL and it got HOT.
I'm just excited of the possibilities that will be presented with a stock SF AA body...you could run a KL1/KX1/KL4/and an MN01 off it, theoretically...you'd have a TW4-AA!!! And running it off eneloops/etc., you'd have more readily available RC's!
Oh yeah, I've got to try the 2xAA MN01 too. Finally a longer life rechargeable solution for it.

Last edited:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Additionally for release on APRIL 1ST, 2010.... The Surefire AZ2.

I have mine reserved through my local dealer along with a Z2LS... do you?

Stay Safe

Alberta-Blue:cool:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 has reduced output at 4V and struggles at 3V. Many later ones were reported not to work at all on 3V. I will have to try 2.4V (2x NiMH) when I get home tonight. I have a 2AA KX1 I put together recently for the fun of it - and to cycle some underused and neglected NiMH, so I can just throw the KL4 on it to see if it lights up. If it runs at low output for an extended time, it will be useful, but I'm not optimistic (yet). Has anybody tried it?
But The possibilities of all the AA combinations of chemistries don't really open up until you have a 1AA body, which you can get at the Sandwich Shoppe in the Aleph line with the 17500 body and a sleeve & spacer (the body is too long for 14500 - but then you have to switch bodies like everybody else, so why bother getting excited. The voltage gap between 1.2V NiMH and 3.7V 14500's is too great to allow any heads to run well off both double cell combinations except underdriving the KX2 (and possibly the KL4) on 2xNiMH and overdriving it on 2x14500. The KL4 does NOT like 2x14500! Neither does the E2DL on high. I tried 2xRCR123 in an E2DL and it got HOT. Oh yeah, I've got to try the 2xAA MN01 too. Finally a longer life rechargeable solution for it.

A 2xAA tube may not open a huge number of Lego options with existing stock heads, but it will be a dream come true for modders. :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Additionally for release on APRIL 1ST, 2010.... The Surefire AZ2.

Oh really?? . . . April 1st? Anyone else see what I'm looking at? Anyone?!

Yeah, not a funny April Fool's joke from Surefire. :ironic:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Oh really?? . . . April 1st? Anyone else see what I'm looking at? Anyone?!

Yeah, not a funny April Fool's joke from Surefire. :ironic:

Yeah... I thought about that too for a few seconds. However, my curiosity has been peaked at the fact that not 1, not 2, but 4 dealers that I am aware of have been allowed to place their orders for these items.

In one case, I have known and done business with the source for almost a decade... and he has proven pretty trustworthy and accurate when it comes to SF release dates, up to and including admitting that he has "no idea", and almost never gives one set in stone unless he is sure he can provide.

Of course I am not ignorant to the infamous Surefire "vapourware", so we shall see... :candle:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if we take this new KX1 head off that 2AA body and put it on a regular E1L body, what do you think the runtime would be on high? 2hrs? I believe it says 80 lumens? I was hoping for 60.

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
A Surefire AZ2 for $260....

120 lumens for 2 hours for... $260

20 lumens for 6 hours for... $260

I like the idea of a low-level flood and a high-level spot, but man... I am going to really have to think about whether I want to part with my cash for that.

I am a flag-carrying Surefire fan, but lately the fabled lights don't materialize even in the very long term and the not-so-groundbreaking ones continue to plop off the end of the assembly-line conveyor belt. I hope there's something up their sleeve. I like the form of the Stratum but it's about the only one that's raised my heart rate thus far this year.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Have been a fan of SF since the early 90's and somehow just never, ever became impatient with delivery of their new lights, even if they never did appear. Makes my life a lot simpler, and agitation free. If I never bought one of their lights, but was able to wander around their SHOT booth every year, like I have been doing the past few years, I would be happy.

Bill

ugrey

Enlightened
Does anyone have a 2010 Weapons light catalog? Is the Scoutlight (KX2C head) bumped up to 200 lumens? How about a single mode (high) ML3T head for a weapon light? Thanks in advance.

loszabo

Enlightened
Have been a fan of SF since the early 90's and somehow just never, ever became impatient with delivery of their new lights, even if they never did appear. Makes my life a lot simpler, and agitation free. If I never bought one of their lights, but was able to wander around their SHOT booth every year, like I have been doing the past few years, I would be happy.

When I read your comment, one thing pops up in my mind: remember the M2D?