Surefire 6P questions

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
IMO I think you should get a Surefire P1R in the dual output version. Its a clicky tailcap, dual output so you dont blind yourself in a residence doing a search. (We both know that all the lumens isnt that great when the light flashes back at you from white residential walls during a search). The light comes standard with 18650 batteries and fits in all 6P holsters that are open top. Also can run on CR123 primaries when you run the battery down. I personally carry a couple of Streamlight stingers on duty, mostly because 1 was issued and the other was given to me as a gift. I also have a charger bank and a charger mounted in the car so I can always make it through a swing shift. This is all my humble opinion of course.

michiganstud

Enlightened
IMO I think you should get a Surefire P1R in the dual output version. Its a clicky tailcap, dual output so you dont blind yourself in a residence doing a search. (We both know that all the lumens isnt that great when the light flashes back at you from white residential walls during a search). The light comes standard with 18650 batteries and fits in all 6P holsters that are open top. Also can run on CR123 primaries when you run the battery down. I personally carry a couple of Streamlight stingers on duty, mostly because 1 was issued and the other was given to me as a gift. I also have a charger bank and a charger mounted in the car so I can always make it through a swing shift. This is all my humble opinion of course.
Definitely know what you mean on the flashback. When you're staring ag your notepad 1,000 lumens is way way too much.

I'll look at the P1R closer, I've seen it in browsing. But it has the same 600 lumens. The only difference i see is the dual battety capability for 250 bucks!!!

Does it go like the G2X LE into High mode first, then down to low?

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't take kindly....as in not enough voltage to keep it at peak?

Or other stuff? That's a bummer, that's what I was gonna use to run it. Bug I guess carrying 2 spare cr123a's in a case isn't much different than an extra 16650.
Other threads on the G2X/P2X lights suggested that they didn't put out the same lumens on a 16650 however I've just taken my G2X LE and Malkoff M61 MD2 outside to compare and even when swapping the LE from CR123's to a 16650 the LE is noticeably brighter than the M61. I didn't notice any reduction in the output between the two battery types on the LE.

You can pick up an LE for about $80 and an M61 module would be about $50 with shipping. The advantage of the G2X LE is that it has a higher light output and two modes, coming on in High mode first, the M61 drop-in would not be as bright and only has one mode.

Personally I'd go for the G2X LE, run it on a 16650 and carry the two CR123's it comes with for back up.

There have been two versions of the G2X LE and the latest has 600/15 lumens, don't get the less lumen version.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Definitely know what you mean on the flashback. When you're staring ag your notepad 1,000 lumens is way way too much.

I'll look at the P1R closer, I've seen it in browsing. But it has the same 600 lumens. The only difference i see is the dual battety capability for 250 bucks!!!

I guess it depends on what you want for beam pattern. I like the hot spot and focused beam that the P1R puts out. I didnt realize that its 600 lumens, I always thought it was 800 but I guess I stand corrected. The G2X put outs a diffused hot spot that is more floody. I guess it really all depends on what you want. I have seen this light for sale at 180-250.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also have the P1R Peacekeeper, the beam is slightly better than the G2X LE, the P1R has a slightly tighter hot spot and therefore slightly more throw.

The P1R is supplied with an 18650 battery and a SF branded charger.

If you value the additional runtime that a 18650 will give over a 16650 and also need a 18650 charger then I'd consider it but that extra money would buy a heck of a lot of CR123's.

If you are going to consider the expenditure of the P1R seriously check out the Malkoff M91T MD3, or the M61HOT MD2, are a better alternative to the P1R and LE.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MD2 with hi/low switch + drop-in of your choice is cheaper & better then a P1R in every way IMO. So if you're willing to spend this kinda money Id advise you spend it well. If its not throwy enough for you there is also the M61T version.

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I also have the P1R Peacekeeper, the beam isn't as good as the G2X LE, which just seems wrong, the people that developed the reflector for the LE did a better job.

The P1R is supplied with an 18650 battery and a SF branded charger.

If you value the additional runtime that a 18650 will give over a 16650 and also need a 18650 charger then I'd consider it but that extra money would buy a heck of a lot of CR123's.
I personally run SF brand RCR123s in most of my handhelds when I carry them outside of work. I used the P1R at one point for work, I liked the distance I got out of the beam and the light tinge was more yellow/green, vs the G2X was more on the blue tint. Granted I dont run anything with primaries any more at work, which may run into my down fall down the line.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it depends on what you want for beam pattern. I like the hot spot and focused beam that the P1R puts out. I didnt realize that its 600 lumens, I always thought it was 800 but I guess I stand corrected. The G2X put outs a diffused hot spot that is more floody. I guess it really all depends on what you want. I have seen this light for sale at 180-250.
There is a G2X that's 800 lumens, it's the G2x mv (mv = MaxVision) which has a smaller than normal reflector making it floodier.

On a different note I remember the Surefire Fury DFT (dual fuel tactical) being an 18650 compatible single mode 1500 lumen model.
has a larger reflector so it's got decent range, but I don't think it is quite what the OP is looking for.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a G2X that's 800 lumens, it's the G2x mv (mv = MaxVision) which has a smaller than normal reflector making it floodier.

On a different note I remember the Surefire Fury DFT (dual fuel tactical) being an 18650 compatible single mode 1500 lumen model.
has a larger reflector so it's got decent range, but I don't think it is quite what the OP is looking for.
I have (had) both of those lights and while I can recommend the G2X MV for indoor use (still wont take 18650s), the Fury (DFT or Intellibeam) has bad regulation & wont hold its output for long. The G2X MV is definitely a bit brighter on CR123s, but runs fine on 16650s.

Malkoff MD2 with hi/low switch + drop-in of your choice is cheaper & better then a P1R in every way IMO. So if you're willing to spend this kinda money Id advise you spend it well. If its not throwy enough for you there is also the M61T version.
This. This is your answer for the cell compatibility and output options. It'll stay in the mode you choose. Dead simple with the hi/lo head with tactile feedback for the mode even before it's turned on. My Malkoff head is a bit loose when in low mode, but that's easily remedied with some Teflon thread tape. Don't want the low? Keep the head always tight or put the original retaining ring back in, done.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly the G2X MV comes on in low mode first which is not necessarily ideal for a duty light use.
Correct, it's the low high, which with the forward clicky makes it still useable but between that and the floods beam it's not the best choice as your primary light.
I just saw that someone mentioned the 800 lumens and I have one I tried out for awhile.
It's great for around the house but for work it just doesn't have the range for what I need or want.