Surefire 6P questions

michiganstud

Enlightened
I'm glad that you like the G2X LE, considering that it's Surefire's budget Cop light you would notice little difference in the beam shape or brightness of their more expensive P1R Peacekeeper, good choice.

@michiganstud, when you know G2x got a good workout on your previous night, do like you said and change them before starting a new shift.
It's good policy to start out with fresh batteries loaded, or fully charged,, and carry backups.

Does your department supply cr123 batteries?
Oh no......no no no. We have to buy and maintain our own flashlight. We can use the JUNK lights our Sergeant did absolutely no research on, and wasted money on, but I'd rather depend on my own light. I'd tell you the brand, but I'd have to remember how to spell Chinese fire hazard. 🔥

Only drawback of this light so far is the battery. I can either buy these or rechargeable CR123A. Which, in the long run may make me just go back with my 6P or Protac HLx.

I dunno...I switch my lights around more than Elton John switches glasses. I just like them a lot. :)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
switch my lights around more than Elton John switches glasses. I just like them a lot.
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh, no, no, no
I'm a pocket rocket man

Pocket rocket man, burning up his hand out here alone
And I think it's gonna be a long runtime
And I think it's gonna be a long runtime

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
KeepPower P1665J 2500mAh (Sanyo UR16650ZTA 4.35V) 3.6V 5A Protected Button Top
same LiCo cell

Also worth considering for slightly higher current rating but at slightly less capacity
Vapcell M20 INR16650 3.7V 8A 2000mAh (unprotected) Flat Top
LiNiMnCoO2 can tolerate occasional overdischarge, so does not need protection

But if often running cells to empty, protection is a nice convenience, never need worry about overdischarge, although it will leave you in the dark when bumping up against the protection.

And although there are no reports of it yet, it is believed INR will not give quite as many recharge cycles, but they are usually rated for 500 like other Liion. Chemistry such as LiMn (IMR) is known to give many more than 500 cycles, though they are also commonly rated at 500.

I think the choice between the two cells above comes down to which length is more comfortable, 67.9mm (Keeppower) and 65mm (Vapcell), respectively.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Eagletac 16650 with protection never left me in the dark on tube SFs. They dim quite noticeably, and then begin to flicker, clearly indicating that it's time to change the battery.

I took an old C2 from the local market, in a week or 2 it will arrive and I will shoot a video with the behavior of the battery when it is discharged

I hope in the future there will be more advanced battery protection boards that will notify you when the shutdown threshold is approaching. Although this is very unlikely, so far everything goes to the fact that battery protection is built into the flashlight driver

michiganstud

Enlightened
You guys are gonna kill me........I ordered the Streamlight Polytac-X. Someone here commented on another thread that the beam and brightness was better than the Surefire G2X LE.

When I saw it runs on a 18650 and does so for 3.5 hours ....well that tempted me. So if the beam is better, as said, I may go with my old stand by, Streamlight. I'm a Streamlight fan. I'll make my decision on which light I'm going with by the weekend. All are Amazon buys so I can return the ones I don't choose.

But it's going to be the G2X, Polytac-X, or the Protac HL-X. Or my old stand by, my Stinger HL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230207_233209_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207_233209_Chrome.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Stinger with a polytac backup and a pair of CR123's handy if the 18650 runs out of juice is my thought but I don't know how much light pollution you deal with so the brighter protac may be required for those light pollution caused shadows to be busted up.

michiganstud

Enlightened
Stinger with a polytac backup and a pair of CR123's handy if the 18650 runs out of juice is my thought but I don't know how much light pollution you deal with so the brighter protac may be required for those light pollution caused shadows to be busted up.

Exactly what I was thinking at bed time after I ordered it. Stinger on the belt for everyday use and Polytac on backup. My Stinger has been the tried and true of them all, the brightest and most efficient, while producing no heat issues. I can step it down two more levels for low light.

There's just many pros, and no cons to this light. I think my problem is that I'm too indecisive and a total flashaholic.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I get it mr stud.

I carry two lights with me nearly every day. Same two since 2016. Now in the meantime I have several others that would make very satisfying replacements. Sometimes I ask myself "is today the day I try X or Y?" The answer is always "nope, old faithful is still getting it done".

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey MS. Just for context, the only light in your original list of lights you currently have that I also have / use is the ProTac 2LX, and of the ones you're considering, I have the PolyTac X (which I like), (having also considered the SF G2 series lights when I got that). I'm fairly familiar (on paper) with the HL and the HLX, as I considered both when I bought the 2LX, and I have also checked out the new PolyTac V2.0 recently due to having some interest in that one as well. EDIT: The SL I have by far the most field experience with is a Strion, but that's not part of this discussion (and perhaps shouldn't be in 2023 for a couple of reasons). [end Edit] I don't have any of the 'classic' Stinger line, only the 2020, which you've already ruled out, so I can't speak to the other Stingers, but you have one and it's a 'known', field-proven piece, so I don't need to. Let me contribute a couple of questions just for the heck of it to possibly add into this discussion.

It sounds like the PolyTac X you're considering (and may have on order already) would essentially take the place of (in your routine use) the HLX you currently have. Based on that:

• What do you like least about the HLX, or asked another way, what would you change about the HLX if you could?
Or, since you're currently leaning towards the PolyTac X, the related question would be:
  • What would the PolyTac X bring to the table that you would consider an improvement on the HLX you're using?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not trying to speak for mr stud, but I wonder if some of his logic isn't as simple as "well I aint got one so, after I do I'll know what it was or wasn't good about them". Back when the post man dropped one off at my door right regular that was my logic anyway. A dozen or so of Streamlights later I knew which one(s) I liked best. Stinger LED, Strion and Protac 1Laa in that order.

michiganstud

Enlightened
  • What do you like least about the HLX, or asked another way, what would you change about the HLX if you could?
Or, since you're currently leaning towards the PolyTac X, the related question would be:
  • What would the PolyTac X bring to the table that you would consider an improvement on the HLX you're ususingf
First, the Strion. I've actually considered buying this light for years, and I put it in my Amazon cart two nights ago when I bought the Polytac X. What are your thoughts on it? I'm interested to know what you think vs the Stinger.

The G2X is a great light. But it doesn't take 18650 batts, and I've already run through a set 123a's. It goes dim when they're dead. The tint is a bit yellow for me. The reason I got it is that I can step it down to 15 lumens with a quick press. To do that on the protac you go high, strobe, which sucks, then to low.

Now, onto the Protac HL-X vs the Polytac X. Both of these sound perfect for being dual fuel, checks my boxes there.

The Protac is 1000 lumens and stupid bright. A bit too bright for me. What I'm lighting up are classrooms, dorm rooms and campus apartments. And so far for outdoors it's close up stuff. I've been working for the university now for 3 months, which is why my lighting needs have changed. The stupid bright gives me wash back on white walls and I look at a lot of ID'S and paperwork / notepads more often, so I need to tone it down a bit.

I like the brightness, the size, the total lack of heating up, the dual fuel capability, and the far reaching beam. It's a great light and if you're looking for those things, it's for you.

What i need is about that 600 to 800 lumen range.

Enter the Polytac. It's been said the beam is better, whiter and brighter than the G2X. Plus it's dual fuel. That's why I ordered it, to see which of those I like better. I get the Polytac tomorrow and will use and abuse them both over the weekend and report back.

For me it will be keeping the Stinger, or the protac, G2X or the Polytac X. Unless the Strion is worth the look too?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to speak for mr stud, but I wonder if some of his logic isn't as simple as "well I aint got one so, after I do I'll know what it was or wasn't good about them". Back when the post man dropped one off at my door right regular that was my logic anyway. A dozen or so of Streamlights later I knew which one(s) I liked best. Stinger LED, Strion and Protac 1Laa in that order.
Absolutely agree. There's nothing else like hands-on, personal experience to find out everything one needs to know about typical flashlights today to determine which one(s) will best serve one's individual needs and why. Only In actual use will one will always learn what actually works best for them. That cannot be done 100% on paper - it just isn't possible, and I've learned that (too) many times myself. I absolutely couldn't agree more on that.

That said, however, that's expensive (don't ask me how I know), and I've learned that it's best to do one's best 'due diligence' to rule some in / out in advance of purchase, because there can be good ROI on that time spent if one has more time than money (like me). If I had a dollar for every time someone posts complaining about a new light they bought, when their issue should / could have been determined in advance had they done their homework, I could probably retire on that. As with some other things though, if one's willing to 'throw money at the problem', they'll likely get to the end result too, and possibly faster, but poorer.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
You guys are gonna kill me........I ordered the Streamlight Polytac-X. Someone here commented on another thread that the beam and brightness was better than the Surefire G2X LE.

When I saw it runs on a 18650 and does so for 3.5 hours ....well that tempted me. So if the beam is better, as said, I may go with my old stand by, Streamlight. I'm a Streamlight fan. I'll make my decision on which light I'm going with by the weekend. All are Amazon buys so I can return the ones I don't choose.

But it's going to be the G2X, Polytac-X, or the Protac HL-X. Or my old stand by, my Stinger HL.
I am actually surprised you didnt go with the streamlight strion. They are great little lights that you dont even notice on your belt, bright enough to get the job done and you can cycle down the brightness to make it last a long time. I dont know if you run a foot beat or ride in a car but you could throw it on your charger in the car and it would be charged pretty fast.

michiganstud

Enlightened
I am actually surprised you didnt go with the streamlight strion. They are great little lights that you dont even notice on your belt, bright enough to get the job done and you can cycle down the brightness to make it last a long time. I dont know if you run a foot beat or ride in a car but you could throw it on your charger in the car and it would be charged pretty fast.
Yer Killin me. I have this in my Amazon cart and was going to pull the trigger but I got the Polytac X instead.

Maybe I should get it, and decide on which. I'm not afraid to return whichever to Amazon. I pay for free returns, right? So buy it and try it it may be.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Yer Killin me. I have this in my Amazon cart and was going to pull the trigger but I got the Polytac X instead.

Maybe I should get it, and decide on which. I'm not afraid to return whichever to Amazon. I pay for free returns, right? So buy it and try it it may be.
I may have had my issues with streamlights in the past, but those darn strions are hard to beat. I have one of the strion DS models that I keep around the house attached to a wall charger. I use the stingers at work, but if they didnt issue me a brand new one, Id use the strion at work.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a Streamlight ProTac HL 4 that puts out 2200 lumens through an opaque lens. That sucker will light up a city block in darkness, a couple hundred feet in light pollution. But.....

That opaque lens makes it so you do not get self blinded. As a test I turned mine on high and shined it against a shiney white pickup truck from 3 feet or so at night and yes I squinted some but was not in the least bit blinded. It can run off 2x 18650's too. They have a new version (HL 5x) that gets even brighter using 2-18650's. The low on that one is 250 lumens so you can ten tap it to start on low and still have a pretty useful flashlight. When it starts on low the next setting is 1000 lumens. 2500 high with primary batteries and 3500 high on 18650's. Oh, and it has a side switch. The 4 has tail cap switch. It's been said you can use the 4 switch on a 5 and have a dual switch light. It weighs over a pound though. The monsterous heat sync head the reason but that one is pretty cool.

michiganstud

Enlightened
I may have had my issues with streamlights in the past, but those darn strions are hard to beat. I have one of the strion DS models that I keep around the house attached to a wall charger. I use the stingers at work, but if they didnt issue me a brand new one, Id use the strion at work.
I just bought (rented from Amazon) the Strion DS HL - its 700 lumens. I'll compare it to the others this weekend and report back! BTW....yes, you made me buy it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought (rented from Amazon) the Strion DS HL - its 700 lumens. I'll compare it to the others this weekend and report back! BTW....yes, you made me buy it.
Bad dog! Now I am envious, as my dozen year old early Stion LED is still my favorite (and most heavily used) light of all time, and they've upped its game; upped the output considerably, added Ten-Tap to the features (which arguably improved the interface), and added an (optional side switch) which might be handy at times and probably doesn't hurt. I also like that they haven't shrouded or fenced the tail switch actuator either, as I'm not a fan of that. My 'vintage' one lives right next to my favorite chair now, and is likely what I'd grab if my life depended on something that 'has to work', as it's never so much as glitched or had any repairs in all these years of heavy use (heavy industrial environment / 12-hr night shifts for a bunch of those years). I also note that the output / time graph shows a nearly flat line with no throttling or 'stepping down' through the first hour, which you might particularly appreciate. PM me if you don't like that one, and I'll send you my ship-to address!! I already have the charging cradle, so now you've got me thinking - hmmmm. An upgraded version of my favorite light. Dang it!