fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things that are important....

1. Single mode
2. Brightness
3. Long run time
4. Heat control
5. Using 18650 batts
Will fit any module that designed to work in Surefire C head.
(1- Single mode) and (2-Brightness) is up to you what module to get but
These are good option for (3- Long run time) (4- Heat control) and (5- Using 18650)

Will fit either 18650 (3600mAh) or 26650 (5500mAh) for longer run time and maximum heating control.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mind getting one to try to mod it...but dang that's $90 just to have fun. Yellow is $60 and that would be OK with me.
Maybe I can find one on the used market.
I have the stuff to safely heat it to soften up the glue.
Wilton vise and a strap wrench can hopefully handle the rest.
Kernels, if want the G2X LE i posted, to mod, it's a early 400lm. I use mostly inside vehicles on low. Great runtimes with 2x123 haven't changed them in years

I read on a thread, somewhere here, some of these earlier versions were assembled with little glue on head threads. A heat gun and strap wrench should do the trick

Tho, i'm keeping the Thyrm (-;

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a LEO and have been posting on my current platform for my belt light. I have two that I use that fit the same holster (pictured). While I like my Streamlight Protac HLx, I do like my 6P more. It just fits in the hand better, sleeker and the tail clicky is preferred over the Protac.
Michiganstud, I've got a Sportac P60 drop-in for the Surefire 6P, it's a 2 mode Cree XM-L2 U2, Neutral White LED. It's compatible with 2 x CR123's or a 16650/18650 battery.

IMG_6193.jpeg

IMG_6192.jpeg

It's not been used, if it's of any use to you then you can have it FOC.

You might want to take a look at the Fenix line of tactical duty lights. There are several models to choose from, although most utilize a 21700 cell as the power source. That noted, you can always use a reducing sleeve and to accommodate an 18650 cell in a 21700 light (assuming adequate tail spring length).

michiganstud

Enlightened
Does anyone have enough experience to know which option will be better in brightness but yet low heating?

Malkoff M61 450 lumen or the 6px 600 lumen?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to take a look at the Fenix line of tactical duty lights. There are several models to choose from, although most utilize a 21700 cell as the power source. That noted, you can always use a reducing sleeve and to accommodate an 18650 cell in a 21700 light (assuming adequate tail spring length).

The OP is looking for the following:

Things that are important....

1. Single mode
2. Brightness
3. Long run time
4. Heat control
5. Using 18650 batts

Fenix no longer make any single mode lights. In fact they never did though their early lights could be set (head tightened) to go off only in turbo, so in a way they could be operated as single mode lights.

I could be wrong but currently Fenix has only three lights left that even allow direct access to turbo without mode memory: TK11 TAC (18650), TK36 TAC (21700), and TK22 TAC (21700). This provided you don't accidentally move the mode selector from tactical to daily mode.
And even in tactical mode, you could accidentally activate the strobe when using turbo.

I think all other Fenix lights not only are not single mode but have mode memory and no shortcut to turbo.

The Nitecore P series has a couple of 18650 lights and so does the Klarus XT series but neither have strictly single mode UI - at the very least there is strobe in addition to turbo (P10, P20, P22R) . However, unlike Fenix lights, Nitecore P and Klarus XT lights at least offer UI modes with direct access to turbo.

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
I received my G2x LE yesterday and put it through a duty shift last night and part of tonight. I must say, I am impressed with it so far. This is the LE (Law Enforcement) model that starts out at high mode then dives into low. I really love that feature. 99% of the time I am sure I will use the high mode - and for when I need it, I am glad to know that it does go into low mode very easily. I can see using it to look at ID's and paper pads close up (when breaking up parties or mass events). I've tried it in different settings and compared it to other similar lights I have. I tried it outside from the truck to buildings or off into the woods for distance, inside our large indoor stadium and inside small and large classrooms.

The light is a warmer tint, but yet still white enough to where I like it. (I like a cool white tint). There is very little "wash-back" from white walls and yet it lights up a room very well. Its hotspot really does reach far - almost as far as my Stinger high lumens (800) and the Sportac drop in I have in my 6P.

It does heat up, quite a bit after 20 minutes, but the polymer grip doesn't hold heat, making it easier to hold in the hand than other lights I own. The head is alloy for heat sinking. I think this is an even better design than an all metal light.

The tailcap on the G2x is really much better to use than my Protac HL-x. Its smoother, easier to depress. The Protac I feel I have to really mash it down to engage it and there "crenellations" or "fins" that surround it that make it even harder to position your thumb over the button. If it weren't for that part alone on the HL-x, I would like it much better.

Conclusion....I think I'll give this light a whirl for a bit on duty. It seems to be well built enough, easy to use, and an all around good middle ground of brightness in throw and spill. Its not blinding, but not dim by any means either. In the settings I'll be using it for, its certainly enough light. I still have my Stinger with me for the big jobs like traffic stops or searches or traffic control (with a wand). And yes, my SL20L is in the car as well. :) I'll never get rid of that.

Beam Shots are coming of:

6P with Sportac Drop in
G2x LE
Streamlight Protac HL-x
Streamlight Stinger HL
Streamlight SL20L
Stinger with Terralux Upgrade
Maglite with Terralux Upgrade

Attachments

• 20230205_011333.jpg
    20230205_011333.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 70

michiganstud

Enlightened
I'm glad that you like the G2X LE, considering that it's Surefire's budget Cop light you would notice little difference in the beam shape or brightness of their more expensive P1R Peacekeeper, good choice.
My only concern I didn't mention is battery life. I'm not opposed to carrying extra CR123A's. I already carry spare 18650's so no real difference there. I'll be able to fit four in my case that I carry now. I'm wondering how much capacity they will have for my use and how often I'll be changing them out. I used to run them before getting the 18650's so I remember I barely had to change them often. I can remember just changing them out for the hell of it at times as a "just in case".

I guess its no different really - either platforms have the ability to die at a bad time during the night.

*EDIT* I see that the P1R DOES come on in first mode at 600 then 2nd at 15!

I think you had mentioned that the beam on the P1R was better than the G2x......how can that be? Seems like the same light but only one is dual fuel?

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
My only concern I didn't mention is battery life. I'm not opposed to carrying extra CR123A's. I already carry spare 18650's so no real difference there. I'll be able to fit four in my case that I carry now. I'm wondering how much capacity they will have for my use and how often I'll be changing them out. I used to run them before getting the 18650's so I remember I barely had to change them often. I can remember just changing them out for the hell of it at times as a "just in case".

I guess its no different really - either platforms have the ability to die at a bad time during the night.

*EDIT* I see that the P1R DOES come on in first mode at 600 then 2nd at 15!

I think you had mentioned that the beam on the P1R was better than the G2x......how can that be? Seems like the same light but only one is dual fuel?
The led on the g2x was more blue and the reflector was more orange peel with a wider hot spot. Little floody. The p1r has a larger bezel I think and it's more of a shaped beam with a green yellow tint

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only concern I didn't mention is battery life.

Battery life is obviously entirely dependant on how ofter you use it, the main advantage of using rechargeables is that you can ensure that it's topped up before starting night shifts etc.
It's all about the LED, the reflector size and the shape of the reflector.

Below photos compare the 6P, G2X LE, P1R Peacekeeper and the R1 Lawman Intellibeam version.

IMG_6207.jpeg

IMG_6209.jpeg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
@michiganstud, when you know G2x got a good workout on your previous night, do like you said and change them before starting a new shift.
It's good policy to start out with fresh batteries loaded, or fully charged,, and carry backups.

Does your department supply cr123 batteries?