Surefire 9P - Upgrade or Sell&Replace

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Where you position your light also matters coolj.

When helmet mounted or held beside/near your eyeballs you see more reflected light than held at your waste or overhead. Holding at your waste is less taxing after a while.

If you can, practice in fog.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
There's a reason that the used value of your 9P is equivalent to the price of a new middle of the road light. Keep it.
P

Middle of the road? Possibly because it started off higher priced and is branded surefire. While I really like the surefire design of the P6 I personally cannot find the justification to buy a body, bore to 18650 or use cr123s then buy a malkoff head just to say you have a surefire where their are perfectly capable lights with similar design. Sounds like this is a work light for the OP and not a collection piece.

The OP could get 2 Malkoff heads and a solarforce body's for the price of a bored surefire with a Malkoff head.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not entirely sure why warmer colours cut through smoke better, but surefire even advertises their amber aviator for its ability to penetrate smoke and fog: http://www.surefire.com/aviator-amber.html
I'm guessing white reflects more in the smoke, therefore obscuring view. I'm not sure though, don't have much experience with flashlights in smoke.
It has to do with wavelength. The further towards the red end of the visible spectrum the longer the wavelength. I don't have any idea of the size relationship between smoke particles and visible light wavelengths, but apparently the longer wavelengths aren't reflected as much as the shorter ones towards the blue end of the spectrum. It's the same reason fog lights on an automobile are often yellow instead of white.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
It has to do with wavelength. The further towards the red end of the visible spectrum the longer the wavelength. I don't have any idea of the size relationship between smoke particles and visible light wavelengths, but apparently the longer wavelengths aren't reflected as much as the shorter ones towards the blue end of the spectrum. It's the same reason fog lights on an automobile are often yellow instead of white.

Agreed...

Think of it as sound waves... it takes more bass to be perceived as loud as treble but... bass penetrates through objects much better.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Middle of the road? Possibly because it started off higher priced and is branded surefire. While I really like the surefire design of the P6 I personally cannot find the justification to buy a body, bore to 18650 or use cr123s then buy a malkoff head just to say you have a surefire where their are perfectly capable lights with similar design. Sounds like this is a work light for the OP and not a collection piece.

The OP could get 2 Malkoff heads and a solarforce body's for the price of a bored surefire with a Malkoff head.

A word of caution - using a Malkoff drop-in in the current Solarforce bodies will require a spring or some aluminum foil wrap around the drop-in to connect the circuit.