Surefire A2 Aviator and their 9 volt lights were their first "dual fuel" flashlights.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Later the B90/B92 lights 9N/9AN 8X/8AX became "dual fuel" with adapters. Just had this funny thought while looking at some newer Surefires. Marketing people.. hehe

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I never considered them as such, not being lithium batteries and needed extenders to work with those old Ni-cad batteries.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops, that's me misreading the thread like a big brain. Many of the popular police flashlight brands in the '70s had optional chargers that'd let them be used with NiCd cells.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember them, I'm a child of the 80's and 90's. Most of the rechargeable lights I can think of like the Streamlight (20XL or something) or Magcharger just had the rechargeable option. I don't know of any disco lights that had the nicad/alkaline option.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Don Keller's Pro-Lite had a rechargeable one that used 3D batteries in a pinch. Heck, the Maglite ML125 is a dual fuel 3C sized light.

I believe the company was called Qualcom but they made tailcaps and chargers for Kel-Lite, LA Screw and early Maglites to convert those to dual fuel.

But the SureFire early dual fuel lights were made at a point in time where the term had not been coined yet because there were no 18650 flashlight bound batteries yet.

I think the first dual fuel light was the fireplace that used coal or wood.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I actually tried to find another 9P online and they have disappeared as far as the last bodystyle they had.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
@rwolfenstein they can still be found, but they got on the expensive side.

9p seems to be popular for many reasons I assume, M61 accepting up to 9V, perfect 2AA host...

They made a lot less of them than the 6P's, but you are correct. I've always been a C3 dude myself, so the 9P was never really my thing.