Surefire A2 Aviator bi-pin adaptors/Tad's customs

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
What an interesting development, I have read the entire thread and visited Tad's site but am unable to determine the dimensions of the bi-pin bulbs supported in these adapters, hence my question... are these bulbs the same dimensions as a Streamlight Strion bi-pin?

1pt21

Enlightened
What an interesting development, I have read the entire thread and visited Tad's site but am unable to determine the dimensions of the bi-pin bulbs supported in these adapters, hence my question... are these bulbs the same dimensions as a Streamlight Strion bi-pin?

Very good question! I had just assumed they were :popcorn:

Luckily I have been able to get Streamlight bulbs into a few things that they don't quite fit into without issue. Actually it holds them in even tighter. The main ones that come to mind are the new mag bi-pin bulb holders, almost all of mine have a Strion/TL3 bulb stuffed into them and MiniMags (I believe I have a couple with Twin Task bulbs thrown in IIRC). Not one issue..

Still curious.....

MaxStatic

Newly Enlightened
What he told me when I asked is that his bulbs are standard xenon t1 - 1/2 spec. Strions are pretty close to that but he mentioned he thought the streamlight bulbs had shorter filaments. So basically if you used his kit with a Strion bulb, you just don't seat it all the way. Otherwise you can buy bulbs from him for $2/per. Not a bad deal me thinks.

Excited to see more, this should pan out very interesting for us nerds.

Tad CSW

Newly Enlightened
My bulb has the same diameter (around 4.7mm +/- 0.5) and distance of the pins (2mm center to center) but the Strion bulb should have a shorter filament (from the base of envelope). The height of my bulb's filament is 8mm, so a Strion bulb's filament should be 1mm+ shorter than my bulb. I do not have a Strion bulb so please correct me if I am wrong. I suggest using my bulbs. :D

Tad CSW

Newly Enlightened
I have a question for you guys. I just finished a prototype of E-series bi-pin socket and I tested it with some bulbs:

1) 3V 1.2A
2) 3.7V 1.2A
3) 3.7V 1.8A
4) 4.8V 1.2A
5) 6V 1.2A
6) 7.2V 1.2A

This is the bi-pin socket with 7.2V bulb.
Tad%20Customs%20E-Series%20Bi-Pin%20socket%20for%20Surefire%200.jpg

With 2x fresh IMR 16340 (8.4V x 1.2A = 10W) it looks like 3 times brighter than a P60. My question is, will such a high-output bulb damage the light, especially the reflector in the long run? I mean the E-series seems not designed for a very high output bulb. It gets hot quickly. Did anyone use a 10W bulb in E-series?

MaxStatic

Newly Enlightened
You bring up an interesting point Tad.

Speaking for myself, my goal with an E kit would to be to extend the life of a flashlight that is getting harder to source economical bulbs for. While my E2D, E2E, and E1E are far from the brightest light in the stable now a days, they still have an appeal which I don't take advantage of much as I'm down to the last lamp in each. Of course melting the reflector from extended runs at high heat probably wouldn't work out too well. I seem to remember Surefire warning about extended use on the bright bulbs, anyone else remember that?

Something that provides a close to and or slight boost in performance while keeping the run time specs would be the ideal thing here, for me anyway. Others' motivations might be completely different. Once the kit arrives, I'll post some comparisons and thoughts for everybody else so they can make decisions based on what they want. I have a G2 laying around that I can also use to help compare.

Get excited guys, this is a cool project that is close to showing off some pretty cool results. Cheers.

Tad CSW

Newly Enlightened
Tad, do you think you could source a low-output A2 bulb? The A2 never had a LO, laser-focused lamp like the E2's MN02 vs. MN03 lamps. A 3.7V bulb with a tiny filament and medium output (~40 lumens OTF) would be awesome and (potentially more than) double runtime over an MA02.

Not sure but I will try to look for a low output 3.7V / 3.6V bulb for A2.

You bring up an interesting point Tad.

Speaking for myself, my goal with an E kit would to be to extend the life of a flashlight that is getting harder to source economical bulbs for. While my E2D, E2E, and E1E are far from the brightest light in the stable now a days, they still have an appeal which I don't take advantage of much as I'm down to the last lamp in each. Of course melting the reflector from extended runs at high heat probably wouldn't work out too well. I seem to remember Surefire warning about extended use on the bright bulbs, anyone else remember that?

Something that provides a close to and or slight boost in performance while keeping the run time specs would be the ideal thing here, for me anyway. Others' motivations might be completely different. Once the kit arrives, I'll post some comparisons and thoughts for everybody else so they can make decisions based on what they want. I have a G2 laying around that I can also use to help compare.

Get excited guys, this is a cool project that is close to showing off some pretty cool results. Cheers.

Thanks for the opinion. I think I have to get some low output bulbs for these vintage lights.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
With 2x fresh IMR 16340 (8.4V x 1.2A = 10W) it looks like 3 times brighter than a P60. My question is, will such a high-output bulb damage the light, especially the reflector in the long run? I mean the E-series seems not designed for a very high output bulb. It gets hot quickly. Did anyone use a 10W bulb in E-series?

Definitely - Lumens Factory has had the IMR-E2 for a long time now. It's a very high current bulb and produces a lot of heat but it's a fun bulb to put in such a small light.

Being able to swap bulbs quite easily would make it a nice bulb to keep around for showing off here and there.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Thanks, Tad. I hope you find some :)
Having options is always a great thing so I'm looking forward to seeing these coming to fruition.

balane

Newly Enlightened
I placed my A2 adapter order this morning. I didn't choose my extra bulbs wisely and Tad quickly contacted me with a suggestion of change. For that I was grateful. He seems like a very nice man to deal with and I'm looking forward to getting some 3.7v 1.8a lamps in my A2! My order will ship on the 10th.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.
The production of A2 sockets should be finished by June 10. And I think I can get these bulbs by the the same day from the bulb factory:
1) 3.7V 1.8A (the one just tested by Jim)
2) 3.7V 1.2A (new, longer battery runtime)
3) 4.8V 1.2A (new, replaced the old one tested by jim, brighter than the old one, longer life than 3.7V bulbs.)

BTW, welcome to CPF Tad!

Thank you for offering what appears to be a great product and I wish you much success!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of A2 mods. I have all 3 options: stock SF lamp, the LF version and the FM Strion kit. Among them, I like the Strion kit the most for its cleaner beam pattern. HO-A2 is probably the worst. Therefore I am glad that I have the kit and I hope that the Tad's kit would also be a worthwhile addition, especially with the wide choice of bulbs that come with the adapter.

On the other hand, I am quite happy with the existing LF offerings for e2/e1. I think, I have tried all of them. For me, the only worthwhile addition would be a 10-15lm bulb for 3.7V. Something that does not exist at all at the moment. Also I might be interested in an adapter for FM1794 which are still available, but realistically, 20W is an overkill for an e2 body.

Last edited:

Tad CSW

Newly Enlightened
BTW, welcome to CPF Tad!

Thank you for offering what appears to be a great product and I wish you much success!
Thank you RWT1405. I will do my best:twothumbs
Please let me know if you guys have any comments / ideas so I can improve my products.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Really, really, really not trying to make this about a Mag mod.

Just wanting to showcase to anybody who has any doubt about these products...

The G4 kit arrived already.
(Ordered late 5/26 = 8 days to cross the globe)

Here's what you get

Spring and rod for 20+ watt setups plus..

Two bulbs and a top quality adapter

Perfect if you use those Magcharger size bulbs as well

And brief but very well written instructions complete with diagrams.

So I say all that to showcase Mr. Tads got it going on.
Thank you sir.

Back to our thread... already in progress.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Indeed. Fantastic seller. Insanely quick shipping from overseas...

TAD is a blessing for something we've (I've) been waiting years for!

Can't wait for my A2 adapter to arrive, and hopefully soon to come E-Series adapter. PLUS BULBS offered and often included (never mind upgraded springs for mags as well).

TAD certainly does got it going on, and is taking waaaaay too much of my $$$ :sssh:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Do the bi-pins from Tad come with pins cut to the best focal point for the A2?

Bill

Repeating my question. Also, since the A2 uses a buck/boost voltage regulator for constant brightness using the stock bulb, is the A2 running in regulation with the different voltage bulbs offered by Tad?

Bill

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

I would only assume that the bulbs will sit at the proper focal point. I'll let you know when my adapters come, hopefully within a week or so.

The A2 driver bulbs at 4volts. So the 3.7 volts bulbs will be driven a bit harder and the 4.8 bulbs will be under driven. Looking at the Willie Hunt LVR page it appears the original design spec using the standard FET supports up to 2 Amps output within spec. Would have to test the bulbs with a current meter to see what each one draws at 4volts.