Surefire A2 Aviator bi-pin adaptors/Tad's customs

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
some $urefire bulbs are Xenon Halogen and some are Xenon only....

fivemega,
with respect, my question is still hanging... excuse my attempt to focus down to it, and understand it may be based on conjecture... please bear with me, I had only one question, and I may have legitimately begged the question (i.e. formed the fallacy principio principii based on ampdude's generalization)

Only high powered Surefire lamps contain xenon-halogen.
P60, P90 and E series are xenon only.

Understood.

What is so different about Surefire bulbs in any configuration where they don't darken?

Here's what may be conjecture, and/or generalization, which I'm accepting as fact (is it?) to ask my question:

(and I should have added the first time,) "ignoring the high power Surefire lamps that use xenon-halogen,"
how do the xenon-only SF lamps stay clean with no halogen, thus no halogen cycle?

^---- forget the xenon-halogen Surefire lamps. Do the xenon-only non-high power Surefire lamps not darken, and if not, how do they accomplish that when other brands' xenon-only lamps darken (according to ampdude)?

You very nicely outline and explain why lamps darken in your last post. The suggestions there may very well be part of the answer to my question, which, again, is,

"Why don't SF xenon-only lamps darken? " -- ignoring the ones with halogen, as the halogen cycle is probably a good reason why the xenon-halogen SF lamps don't darken. What's up with the SF xenon-only lamps? Is ampdude's statement too general, inaccurate, wishful thinking, or is he just really lucky? Or do SF xenon-only lamps indeed resist darkening better than other branded lamps? IF so, how might they accomplish that? For the same reasons other lamps darken, i.e. coil tightness, bulb shape, etc., Surefire xenon-only lamps (also) do not ?

Sorry for the redundency, risking it to try to be clear to the max.

You can just say "the xenon-only Surefire lamps do exhibit darkening" if that is true... idky I'm making this so hard. SORRY. THANK YOU!

Minimoog

Enlightened
My standard A2 bulb has a little darkening, same with my M3 bulb - so SF lamps are not immune from this.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Why don't SF xenon-only lamps darken?

Answer of your question is on post #119 but I will explain more.
For reliability purpose, $urefire Xenon lamps are designed with longer life. So bulbs run more relax. (Military requirement)
For brightnes purpose, LF Xenon lamps are designed with shorter life. So bulbs run under stress. (For average people)
It is obvious that LF bulbs darken quickly compare to $urefire.
According to
this some LF bulbs are designed for 15~20 hours life but $urefire bulbs are designed for 40~50 hours life.
So, LF bulbs are driven hard at spec compare to $urefire driven at spec.
Please keep it in mind that we assume all bulbs are running at spec voltage.

how do the xenon-only SF lamps stay clean with no halogen, thus no halogen cycle?
If you drive them at the voltage that calculated bulb life gets to 15 hours, they will also darken quickly.
Please see link in post #124. Do you think any of those bulb would look like these if driven at spec?
Again, the harder you drive the bulb, faster it will darken.

Ampidude said:
What is so different about Surefire bulbs in any configuration where they don't darken?
Difference is calculated bulb life at specified voltage.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
...$urefire Xenon lamps are designed with longer life. So bulbs run more relax. (Military requirement)...
...$urefire bulbs are designed for 40~50 hours life.
...Please keep it in mind that we assume all bulbs are running at spec voltage.

Gotcha. There's no mystery as I was hoping (as for some industrial secret to be revealed), in that lamps specifically designed, manufactured and tightly quality controlled to perform better in fact perform better for that very reason. ><

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a 16650 in my rounded A2. That same cell does not fit in a 4 flats A2. It is a tight fit in the former.

That being said, the Incan will run at a reduced output just like had it been in a P60. The LEDs light as well.

mcm308

Enlightened
I use a 16650 in my rounded A2. That same cell does not fit in a 4 flats A2. It is a tight fit in the former.

That being said, the Incan will run at a reduced output just like had it been in a P60. The LEDs light as well.
Excellent, whats the issue with the 4 flat? Too long? What bulb are you running and how is the runtime? I guess I need to find a round body! [emoji12]

I ordered a 16650 just for A2 duty with a tad socket but then read it wouldn't work because of the A2 4V regulated circuit..hence why I asked.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The actual protected cell Keeppower 16650 2500mAh is too wide in the 4 flats version. I run it with the Tad customs and have not tested the runtime.
Right, it does not run at regulated output. It runs in reduced output.

mcm308

Enlightened
The actual protected cell Keeppower 16650 2500mAh is too wide in the 4 flats version. I run it with the Tad customs and have not tested the runtime.
Right, it does not run at regulated output. It runs in reduced output.
That's the battery I have. As long as it runs..
Thanks

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Or do SF xenon-only lamps indeed resist darkening better than other branded lamps? IF so, how might they accomplish that? For the same reasons other lamps darken, i.e. coil tightness, bulb shape, etc., Surefire xenon-only lamps (also) do not ?

An answer to this question. While cleaning out one of my drawers I found a Surefire manual hi-lighting the C2/C3 flashlights. On page 9 under heading Tungston Filaments With Xenon/Halogen Gas. "To achieve maximum output, Surefire lamps feature a tungsten in a high pressure xenon/halogen gas atmosphere."

Bill

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent, whats the issue with the 4 flat? Too long? What bulb are you running and how is the runtime? I guess I need to find a round body! [emoji12]

I ordered a 16650 just for A2 duty with a tad socket but then read it wouldn't work because of the A2 4V regulated circuit..hence why I asked.

The 4 flats A2's have tighter internal diameter specs. Most RCR123A's will not fit in them, especially protected cells. I have some IMR's that just barely fit in a round body model of mine. I remember years ago I used to have a round body A2 that could just barely fit protected AW RCR123A's if I peeled the stickers and pushed them in there. The shrink wrap got scarred, but stayed intact. The batteries did not come back out easily.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
So a single 16650 cell is a no go in the A2?

A2 doesn't work at all with voltage less than 4 volt. Each depleted primary 123 has about 2 volts which is consider time for replace.
I have tested with fully recharged protected 14650. It works few minutes and when voltage (under load) drops to 4 or less, circuit of A2 shuts down the light.
So even if 16650 would fit, wouldn't work properly. Unprotected cells that are recharged over 4.2 volt like 4.35, will work slightly longer but not practical.
My protected Keeppower 16650 is too wide to fit in 3 flat A2.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Good stuff, thanks for the review!

E-Series adapter is next on my list. I will own at least one of each of TAD's adapters...

Well here I am juuust over a year later, I can can safely say that I now own at LEAST 3 of every available adapter and tons of bulbs from TAD..... :shakehead

Hopefully that statement alone will answer your question above Byk. BTW: I think I'm the only one that decided to call you "Byk" instead of "Mr Fixer", well I'm standing by my decision ;)

And thanks a TON guys, I'm now back on TAD's site looking to place another (unnecessary) order. I honestly was just so scarred by the sudden discontinuation of classic FM products that I STILL get that "gotta grab em while you can!" urge... Yeah, that's definitely it...................

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My mom was always called "Mrs" at her work and she quipped "just once I wish someone would call me by my first name"... so in memory of my mom, yeah Byk will do nicely.

The A2's got shelved while my quest for California Cop Lights of the 70's continues. But I want to try the 80 lumen and the 140(?) lumen TAD bulbs in my 4 flats.

1pt21

Enlightened
My mom was always called "Mrs" at her work and she quipped "just once I wish someone would call me by my first name"... so in memory of my mom, yeah Byk will do nicely.

The A2's got shelved while my quest for California Cop Lights of the 70's continues. But I want to try the 80 lumen and the 140(?) lumen TAD bulbs in my 4 flats.

Ironically enough, all of my 4-Flats are shelved (AKA buried deep in the confines of my home) yet all of my round bodies have been modded with rings, bi-pin adapters, tailcap shrouds, etc...

Hey, you keep on doing what your doing buddy!! :candle:

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's revamp this thread. How's everyone's tads and bulbs holding up. I've been running the 3718 on imr's in all my a2s. Recently got a round body y/g from Kentucky mike that I have been carrying everyday. Same 3718 and imr's. Love the y/g leds. Got another koala ring coming as well.

1pt21

Enlightened
Let's revamp this thread. How's everyone's tads and bulbs holding up. I've been running the 3718 on imr's in all my a2s. Recently got a round body y/g from Kentucky mike that I have been carrying everyday. Same 3718 and imr's. Love the y/g leds. Got another koala ring coming as well.

All going fine here, even still on original bulbs (maybe I shouldn't have ordered so many backups??)..

Damn Koala is still making rings?!? May have to look into that...