Surefire A2 Aviator issue?

K

korperlich

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!
I picked up a new-old-stock A2 Aviator a few months ago, because I always admired the quality and the generally positive reviews of it.

The manual is not super clear on this, but it was my understanding that, being digitally-regulated, once the battery dropped below the capacity to illuminate the incandescent bulb at full brightness, the circuit would prevent it from coming on at all, leaving one with just the LED's.

I have not used the thing much, other than to walk around a bit. No major bumps, etc. However, I have noticed the following two problems:

1. When depressing the button, if I don't press it really hard, but still enough to activate the main bulb, I can hear an audible high-pitched buzzing sound. Depressing the button harder causes the buzz to stop, as does releasing it far enough to just activate the LED's. Is this normal?

2. Recently, the brightness of the main bulb has decreased dramatically. At first, it was very bright white, enough that it washed out the red LED's, but now it's a faint yellow, and you can still see the red LED light. Not white at all. I had thought that the regulator would prevent this situation from occurring. Is this indicative of regular failure, bulb failure, or battery failure?

Many many thanks in advance for your tips!

C

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Issue 1 is completely normal in my experience.

As for issue two, as I understand it there is a voltage range where the incan lamp will fire, but will be very dim to notify you that your batteries are nearly depleted.

Grab your multimeter and do the following:
1. test the resting voltage of each battery
2. with the batteries installed and the tail cap removed, test the mA draw from the negative terminal on the rear most battery to the threaded portion of the body of the light.
3. report here with your findings.

This might help us figure out whether the issue is with your batteries, or your light.

Last edited:
sgt253

sgt253

Enlightened
+1. Totally normal on both counts. The "buzz" is the voltage regulator. The dimming is the incandescent getting just enough juice to power at a low level. As the battery levels continue to drop you will no longer have the incandescent. The leds will burn until total battery depletion. Use in good health. Been using mine since '05. Great light.

Regards.

Str8stroke

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats, A2 is a great light.

What brand battery are you using? Also do you know the battery age? Obviously don't mix batteries. Keep makes, models, brands and ages & voltages the same if possible.

I have one that buzzes sometimes. Like it has already been said, I am pretty sure it is due to the voltage fluctuations in your battery or batteries. I run mine on Soshine 3.0 volt RCR123's. I use the heck out of mine and having rechargeable cells is a major bonus.

Welcome to the forum.

N

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
Now that Surefire doesn't support the A2, what incan / led works for the white center light in my square bodied A2 ?

C

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that Surefire doesn't support the A2, what incan / led works for the white center light in my square bodied A2 ?

There are no LED options. Surefire still sells the MA02, which is exactly what I would get if I were you.

V

vqF2i6rNci

Newly Enlightened
Hello! The A2 is my EDC. It has been through approximately 27 sets of batteries and was awesome for doing aircraft tail inspections when I was still flying and had dark preflights.

As others have mentioned, both are typical behaviors as I've found. The "whine" of the regulator changes with temperature and I've only replaced my centers twice but haven't noticed a change in the colors between bulbs. I just stocked up when there was a sale on the bulbs and have a half dozen or so. My only regret is not doing the aviatrix mod that was on here years ago, would have been slick.

Enjoy your light. Best of both worlds and great natural light colors if that matters to you.

O

N

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
Thanks yall. Battery Junction sells the MA02 ... 13 years the original incan held up for my EDC (nightly) go to 4 sided A2. I obviously used the green leds the most by far...