surefire aviator a2 help

Tec_

Newly Enlightened
hey gang nice to be back after the forum explosion. sucks that i lost all my acount info and that i have to go through the probation pereod again but on to my question.

i have a surefire aviator a2 that i droped and the white light stoped working on it. i replaced the bad light (mesured open with a DMM) with a new bulb but it still dose not light.

i have done the jump the bat to the housing to check that it isnt the tail cap. and i am still only getting red. i have two new bulbs that i just got and they bolth do not work.

im wondering if there are any tips or things i should look for or is it time for me to contact surefire?

computernut

Enlightened
Is it an older 4-sided? The depth of the postive lug inside the body is a little deeper on the older bodies but the lamp assemblies end-caps were a little bit longer to make up for it. Putting a new replacement lamp assembly in will leave a very small cap and you'll have contact issues. Solution is to pull (gently bend the plastic tabs) the silver end-cap off the LA and replace the one on the new LA with it. I also found putting a bit of solder on the end works but you risk it chipping off and shorting something out. If you have a newer round-body A2 then it's probably something else but it could still be related to the tolerances. I've had issues with Lumens Factory HO-A2's being too long and having to dremel the brass tip down a bit (have to make sure you don't take too much or you are SOL). The only issues I've had with my A2's have to do with the contact of the bottom of the LA or the outer ring of the LA making contact with the contacts in the body.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size-15 said...ine had to be tightened extremely tight to function...then, I just bent the tabs up a bit to help, but I still had to tighten quite a bit.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to state the obvious, but sometimes batteries can be damaged from drops. Did you try a fresh set of batteries as well?

Filip

Newly Enlightened
Try to LOOSEN the bezel a bit. (With fully tightened bezel I had troubles to run the A2 strion socket. I have never figured out the reason but it worked for me.)

Tec_

Newly Enlightened
yep i have put new bat's in it.

correct me if im wrong but there should be two places to get voltage at the front. one for the lamp and one for the led's?

bel_riose

Newly Enlightened
have you tried to short contact the (-) battery end and the inner body, with bats installed? this should light up the main white bypassing the tailcap switch. It can be useful to exclude broken switch.

then, in the bezel assy, there are three leaf contacts on the circuit board that make contact on the large metal circle of the MA02 bulb. Does them make contact?

Tec_

Newly Enlightened
yes i have shorted from the - to the inner body and yes the leaf contacts are making contact. i posted that in a earlier reply that appears to not have been moderated