SureFire battery problem

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hi,

Was out with my SureFire U2 last night and using the lowest level. The batteries were fairly new (only about 20 mins on low and second level). When I came to turn up the brightness all I got was a flicker and then a dim glow from the LED dies. I thought the U2 had died on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif!

When I got home I checked the batts, and found both read around 3 volts - no prob there I thought, however to be sure I put a load on them whilst checking voltage. One was fine, the other went to 0 volts and returned to 3 when the load was removed.

Seems to me to be a problem with the battery and I am wondering if this has cropped up before and if SF would be interested in the matter. If this happened in the field (especially with something like an M4) the light would have cut out without any warning - not to clever!

Is there a contact at SF that I could send the battery to or are they perhaps already aware of this issue?

Any info appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

All the best,

Ian, UK

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ian,

Sounds like a bat battery...

I don't know who to contact in th UK, but I'm sure Al (Size15's) does. You might PM him with the information.

Tom

UVvis

Enlightened
I just had two cells do this to me as well. At first I thought I was loosing my mind, again. One was in an E2e, that I ran for maybe two minutes. Turned off, and didn't turn back on again. I thought I had a bad bulb. The second was in my Z2 with about the same happening. They were from the same box, I don't know if there is a lot number on them though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi Ian

Please do not discard the batteries. I would wrap them carefully and send them to Paul Kim at SureFire (with a letter explaining why).

Al

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search and you will see many post's of the same thing happening. I suggest batt station batteries 123's.
In this forum, in first few threads as a sticky, is a 123 shootout, that show's many 123's and there rating's as tested. The BS cells for all intensive purposes
are as good or better then name brands and much cheaper.

I personally had 4 outta 12 SF 123 go like this. I wouldn't buy SF's 123's if they were 25 cents. VDG

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
...for all intensive purposes...

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the cliche' is "for all intents and purposes"

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Photonian said:
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
...for all intensive purposes...

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the cliche' is "for all intents and purposes"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, for all intents and purposes they suck. Correct? VDG

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
Ok, for all intents and purposes they suck. Correct? VDG

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, no. I think you were trying to say that, for all intents and purposes, they're good.

I think that's what you meant before the language police got on your case...

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, i glad I was corrected, no problem there,I honestly enjoy learning thing's i should know! (i then often willl search the internet for origin of such term's, I enjoy that)

But i do mean the SF cell's do suck. when they run correctly there as good as anything, but when i got my first SF light's and then ordered batt's from them, the failure rate was just ridiculous. after 40 some batt station's i had one cell go a little quick, and it was one in
a package were it came loose and was bouncing off other batts, so It very well could have discharged some.

I had used duracell's and energizer for a few mth's before using batt station's, and that's what impressed me, the dollar cell was as bright, with about the same runtime. Then silverfox did his shootout and pretty much showed what i had seen in BS 123's.

Another good cheap one, my local LEO outfitter sell's for
$2.00 is a Universal branded 123, it too seem's to run
long and well. VDG