Surefire Blast from the Past - 10X Dominator

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do have several options:
1- Find high current / fast charge NiCad cells (or pack).
2- Accept short battery life if using high output bulb.
3- If low output bulb is OK for you, Eneloops or other options such as DoR suggested will work.
4- Possible to use 4P/2S IMR 16340
5- Possible to use 3P/2S IMR 16500 (17500)
6- Possible to use 2P/2S 16670 (16650)
7- Possible to use 2P/2S 18650 (if physically enlarged battery case)
8- (My wish is) to use 2P/2S 21700 in redesigned larger battery case. (Two hours HO run time, no memory effect, no self discharge)
When you go option #4, #5, #6, #7 and #8, you should change battery charging system and individually recharge each group of parallel cells. In this case, you should have two female ports on battery case for proper and evenly charging all cells.
If you decided to go #6 or #7, make sure you pick batteries which possible to solder on each terminal. Protected KeepPower cells not possible to solder.
We would like to see which way you prefer or go and how the result is.

If I sent you the light, is this something you could do for me? I have no problem keeping it simple and cost effective, I'd just like to have a usable light.

If so, what's the investment for favored options.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
I put Eneloops in my 10X years ago and they work just fine on HO for short periods. Just for a few minutes of fun memories every once in awhile...

I never need to use my 10X any more seriously than that anymore. Sadly.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
How did you secure the eneloops? Did you solder them all in?

I love old SF lights and always wanted one of these but must admit I have never read to much good about them. I would have no problem getting the eneloop mod done to keep it up and going but if it's not going to perform well with them I'm thinking it's not worth it.

And if the only way to get it running right is to use a different handle/charging holder I might as well get something else as I would like to keep it original looking

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love old SF lights and always wanted one of these but must admit I have never read to much good about them.

Just from my own experience, with a fresh battery, the 10X is actually slightly brighter than an M6 with the HOLA. It's crazytown. Too bad there isn't much of a current battery solution.

It's a nice light and I wish I had bought a few when they were cheap while everyone was wanking themselves over LED lights.

Last edited:

Dennis

Newly Enlightened

I soldered them together and to the OEM head as well as shrink wrapped them. I didn't secure the head in the handle so it can drop out for charging via leads I included during soldering.

I don't use it for anything other than a minute or two of non serious light at a time just for fun and memories. The Eneloop pack has lasted for years without charging in this role [emoji6]

Given the ongoing need for replacement bulbs I'm not sure I would want to use it in any daily role. I would be happy to have it around in working condition for another decade or two!

Dennis.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I soldered them together and to the OEM head as well as shrink wrapped them. I didn't secure the head in the handle so it can drop out for charging via leads I included during soldering.

I don't use it for anything other than a minute or two of non serious light at a time just for fun and memories. The Eneloop pack has lasted for years without charging in this role [emoji6]

Given the ongoing need for replacement bulbs I'm not sure I would want to use it in any daily role. I would be happy to have it around in working condition for another decade or two!

Dennis.

Any chance you'd be willing to make another modified pack?

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Any chance you'd be willing to make another modified pack?
Sadly my skill level is "Did a drunk monkey solder that?" and not something I could guarantee to hold up to actual use. Also you need the original battery handle to take apart and solder the new pack to the contacts.

Luckily, if you have any soldering experience, it's not that hard to take apart a battery handle and do a drunk monkey quality switch to Eneloops [emoji14]

Speaking of, does anyone know if there are upgraded NiMh versions of the original "A" size cells available?

Dennis.

Last edited:

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Ok so you guys got me to check out my 10X and charge the Eneloop pack for the first time in years. I made the pack in 2011 and it just discharged and charged up to 2130mAh.

I took some pics of the pack showing my charging leads. I also took a couple comparison beam shots: 10X HO + higher LO bulbs vs an X300U 600 lumen light. I didn't standardize the shots but they accurately reflect what I saw. I tried the 10X on full for 30 seconds and saw minimal fall off, but it did get hot!

Question for those who know better than me, will these work better than the Eneloops?

https://www.batteryspace.com/nimhrechargeablecellsanyoasize12v2700mah1pc.aspx

Enjoy and Thanks!

Dennis.
c213db213d24f1ff314624e435eb2e64.jpg

cbe159707786923ba66c7f153f4a2c82.jpg

X300U 600 lumen. Yes it's warmer than the 10X!
e10f999d954d1b05a31e2ff781e23444.jpg

10X with HO and higher LO bulbs.
497c2cfcd3b798b9b179c639ff2baf93.jpg

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love how that 10X picture shows the huge light quality difference of a well driven incan vs. even a decent quality warmer tinted LED light source.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly my skill level is "Did a drunk monkey solder that?" and not something I could guarantee to hold up to actual use. Also you need the original battery handle to take apart and solder the new pack to the contacts.

Luckily, if you have any soldering experience, it's not that hard to take apart a battery handle and do a drunk monkey quality switch to Eneloops [emoji14]

Speaking of, does anyone know if there are upgraded NiMh versions of the original "A" size cells available?

Dennis.

:laughing:

Okay, understood...LOL

How does the battery carrier come out of the handle?

Frank_Castle

Newly Enlightened
Blast from the past! I had one of these when it first came out. It was the bees knees as bright as a cruiser spot light. Big and goofy but it also put other handhelds to shame. Funny how compact things have become.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Ampdude: who makes these 9AN adapters? Highly interested! I have a like new 9AN, with two more spare bulbs, but you guessed right: the battery is dead...

I can't remember who made them on here. I can see a picture of his avatar in my mind, but I can't think of the name. They are on ebay. It might be from the same guy, or someone different, I can't remember. I might be buying one myself. I can't decide whether or not to keep my 9N since it's so redundant to lights I already have, but it's so cool as well.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
the battery upgrades can be had from CPF user @Altermann. I'm using one in my 8X and absolutely love it!!

edit: ampdude if you decide to get rid of the 9AN drop me a PM! I bought a Lumens Factory LED drop in for the 9AN by accident lol. i might as well put it to use one day.

Last edited:

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
Great bunch of info, thank you for that.

Can the battery packs be replaced in these? If seems when fresh off the charger, the MN30 will dim quite a bit when the MN32 kicks on as well. To be honest, it dies not appear to get much brighter with both bulbs on. Getting dark now, I'm going to test it outside.
A while ago I specified a new battery NiMH battery pack for the dominator. If you have basic soldering, gluing, and hand tool skills you can disassemble the battery handle, yank the old cells and put the new one in. Batteryspace carries it as a standard part now. It features a much better capacity (2700 mAH vs the stock 1600 maH) and has a self-resetting thermal fuse for short protection built in. I charge mine from a modified stock cradle with a universal 3.6 to 7.2V NiMH/NiCD charging adaper brick. There's a chance that the stock charging cradle would work fine since it should be using DeltaV end of charge detection anyway. However, I have been too chicken to try it on my precious custom packs. You can also just fix the charger outputs from a universal charger to the ring contacts on the end of the battery handle. In the stock configuration the center ring is negative(-) and the outer ring is positive (+)

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
Ok so you guys got me to check out my 10X and charge the Eneloop pack for the first time in years. I made the pack in 2011 and it just discharged and charged up to 2130mAh.

I took some pics of the pack showing my charging leads. I also took a couple comparison beam shots: 10X HO + higher LO bulbs vs an X300U 600 lumen light. I didn't standardize the shots but they accurately reflect what I saw. I tried the 10X on full for 30 seconds and saw minimal fall off, but it did get hot!

Question for those who know better than me, will these work better than the Eneloops?

https://www.batteryspace.com/nimhrechargeablecellsanyoasize12v2700mah1pc.aspx

Enjoy and Thanks!

Dennis.
c213db213d24f1ff314624e435eb2e64.jpg

cbe159707786923ba66c7f153f4a2c82.jpg

X300U 600 lumen. Yes it's warmer than the 10X!
e10f999d954d1b05a31e2ff781e23444.jpg

10X with HO and higher LO bulbs.
497c2cfcd3b798b9b179c639ff2baf93.jpg
Lol, I used exactly those cells in the pack I specified around 2018. Batteryspace carries it as a standard part now and it performs outstandingly. https://www.batteryspace.com/custom-nimh-battery-7-2v-2700mah-sanyo-2xi3-a.aspx

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember discussing this and the LL X21 with someone at the gun range back in like 2010. The other guy liked the name of this. Nowadays it would be a laughable light back then when 100+ lumens in a tac light was good that was a swell light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
10x Dom.
Back during the "Good Old Days" when they genuinely were far better than today.... I nearly bought one, twice! Plenty of Brick & Mortar Authorized SureFire dealers in Manhattan back then. Today? About two. Handled it twice. So comfortable in the hand. Surprising light-weight. But back then, I always had terrible luck with rechargeable lights. So, bought an SF M6, instead. Ironically, soon afterwards got a custom-made rechargeable batter-carrier option for it made by a fellow CPFer.