Surefire C3 lens removal

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to remove the lexan lens from a Surefire C3 bezel (to replace it with glass)? I searched on several variants of "remove lens" but did not find anything directly relevant. It's OK if the removal method destroys the lexan lens. I've tried alcohol to dissolve the glue that holds it in with no luck. Boiling water is next.

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
Well, 10 minutes in boiling water followed by sharp raps with a tack hammer did not remove the lens. This leads to two observations. First, Surefire uses a very high quality adhesive (no surprise there). Second, the boiling water did no damage whatsoever to the lexan lens (but heat from the lamp had discolored and warped the lens). That says something about the amount of heat generated by the C3 HOLA.

K-T

*Moderator*
Does the lense have this common retaining ring out of black plastic? If not, you have a snap-in lexan lense and only need a hammer and a screwdriver to get it out. I am not sure though what configuration these bezels from the C3 have/had though.

Klaus.

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Klaus - you were correct. A sharp, strong blow popped the lexan lens out. Now, all I have to do is find a 28.2mm glass lens somewhere. That may prove to be a much larger problem.

K-T

*Moderator*
Glad it worked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You won't be able to press fit the glass lense inthere though but I guess you already know that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You could try to glue it in with some silicone-glue stuff (whatever you guys call it) or anything else that will stick to glass and metall and is a bit heat resistant. Just make sure you don't buy a lense with a diameter too large to fit inthere.

For the lense you could try one of our CPF supporting dealers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif He could help you out and might have one or the other helpful advice.

Klaus.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Size15s. Meridian Tactical sells a M2 bezel that has a pyrex lens. I think it runs for $24 or so.

Then add a P91 and you should be good with the C3 body.

Or you can find a glass lens and glue it in place, IMHO I think its better to just buy a glass bezel.

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Very Much for all the suggestions - I really do appreciate the help this forum provides. I had started out thinking that for a small number of dollars I would get a pyrex lens. But I was impressed by the logic of getting a new M2 bezel with a pyrex lens since it would clearly be difficult to find a 28-28.2mm lens as a simple drop-in replacement. So, I decided to go for the bezel/lens. BUT when I started looking at the "Surefire accessories" category I discovered that I could get a KT2 turbo head kit for FAR MORE $ than I ever contemplated spending. This seems to be the irresistable option. I am done for. Help!

Latest posts